Thread: Waiting for port PagePlus vs H20?

Feedback Score

Waiting for port PagePlus vs H20?

When I tried to port a landline number in Page Plus, the phone showed signal even though the account wasn’t active yet. If I tried to make a call, I got a recording saying to contact Verizon for assistance.

Now, I’m trying to port to H20 instead and even though the SIM is installed, the phone just shows No Service.
    Is this normal that you have no signal at all until the port goes through?
    I tried resetting network connections and restarting the phone. I don’t understand how the phone will activate if it doesn’t see the towers.

I am in the coverage area because AT&T Prepaid phones work.

Feedback Score
    sounds pretty normal, i believe the reason you got the recording on pageplus was due to how legacy 3G/CDMA activations worked.

on most services the SIM card activation/provisioning does not take place until the number port is complete. one exception is metro by t-mobile that does provide 'dual service' where outgoing calls and internet work immiediatly while incoming calls are still going to the old phone while awaiting port in.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyrobby View Post
    sounds pretty normal, i believe the reason you got the recording on pageplus was due to how legacy 3G/CDMA activations worked.

on most services the SIM card activation/provisioning does not take place until the number port is complete. one exception is metro by t-mobile that does provide 'dual service' where outgoing calls and internet work immiediatly while incoming calls are still going to the old phone while awaiting port in.
    I don’t expect to make or receive calls before the service is active. I just expect that it would show a signal to confirm that the phone communicating with a tower. Doesn’t it need to receive a signal in order to activate when the number port goes through?

I thought 911 was supposed to work without an active plan anyway.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by web1b View Post
    I don’t expect to make or receive calls before the service is active. I just expect that it would show a signal to confirm that the phone communicating with a tower. Doesn’t it need to receive a signal in order to activate when the number port goes through?

I thought 911 was supposed to work without an active plan anyway.
    'No service' does not mean 'not talking to the tower' just means no active service

you should be able to dial 911 regardless even if no SIM card is installed

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyrobby View Post
    'No service' does not mean 'not talking to the tower' just means no active service

you should be able to dial 911 regardless even if no SIM card is installed
    Will the signal strength icon show service when the port completes before I add a service plan to the account?

Feedback Score
    Will the signal strength icon show service when the port completes before I add a service plan to the account?
    If H2O is like the others, you'll need to add a plan when you do the activation/port.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    You need to add a plan when you do the activation/port.
    I selected the plan I plan to use, but I didn’t purchase one. I was not prompted for payment.
    I did receive an email from H20 when I submitted it online stating that the transfer is in progress.

Feedback Score
    I decided to call H20 and see what’s going on with the port.
    They said there is a problem with the ZIP code. He asked me for all the information again and I gave him all the same information showing in the verification email I received from H20 the day I originally started the port online.

I think their porting system has issues because the billing ZIP code used for the account does not match the region the phone number represents.
    I will have wait a couple days to see if they have a way to manually override this. The CSR said he resubmitted the info.

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus, Tello, T-Mobile, TRU SIM, Liberty Wrls.
    Feedback Score
    I posted about the ZIP business on your original thread. Cite only your 5-digit ZIP. While many systems may accept a 9-digit, they're often too stupid to match it to the 5-digit ZIP your landline telco/credit card company/bank has on file...00000-0000 doesn't equate to 00000.

Leave your phone off (or remove the H20 SIM) until the port goes through and the line is activated on PAYGO or a 30-day plan.

Were you to dial 911 (but don't), the phone would seek and connect via any carrier with which it's technically compatible.

Feedback Score
    i would make sure everyone you communicate with you make it clear you are porting a landline as opposed to a mobile number.

porting landline number is often a complicated manual process and is not common for mobile carriers and MVNO's. it could be a possibility the person helping you has never dealt with a landline number before. i would also inform the company you are porting out of if you have not already that you have put in the port request and ask them if they can do anything on there end to be sure the number is 'released' without issue.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockchuck View Post
    I posted about the ZIP business on your original thread. Cite only your 5-digit ZIP. While many systems may accept a 9-digit, they're often too stupid to match it to the 5-digit ZIP your landline telco/credit card company/bank has on file...00000-0000 doesn't equate to 00000.

Leave your phone off (or remove the H20 SIM) until the port goes through and the line is activated on PAYGO or a 30-day plan.

Were you to dial 911 (but don't), the phone would seek and connect via any carrier with which it's technically compatible.
    How does keeping the phone off help? How will I know when the port has completed if the phone is off?

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus, Tello, T-Mobile, TRU SIM, Liberty Wrls.
    Feedback Score
    How does keeping the phone off help? How will I know when the port has completed if the phone is off?
    I haven't ported to H2O, however, with other AT&T MVNOs, I was informed by email when my port was complete. As you've written, you then will pay for the plan you've chosen to carry the ported-in number, thereby activating the service. I've usually been directed by C.S to keep the phone off until the service is provisioned (only a few minutes, once your order is confirmed).

Test whether the port is in progress by calling your landline number: when you get a "not in service" intercept or an all paths (fast) busy signal, it's under way.

As robbyrobby wrote, porting from a landline can be slow and more demanding of information -- the telcos protect heavily against fraudulent ports by disgruntled exes, etc. I second robbyrobby's suggestion to call the landline provider to ask what it requires to release the number (you may find yourself being transferred a lot). Do not let them get the idea that you want to disconnect your line: you'd lose your number forever. A successful port-out closes the account automatically, unless there's a DSL or some other secondary service on the bill.

My most recent port from an AT&T landline to Tello (Sprint version) was astonishingly fast -- no more than a day -- but Alaska may prove to be another matter.