Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SprinT-Mobile Does Not Know How To Unlock A Sprint Sonim XP3

Device(s)
    iPhone SE (2020), Sonim XP3, iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score

Exclamation SprinT-Mobile Does Not Know How To Unlock A Sprint Sonim XP3

They keep saying it's been unlocked in their system but they have failed to provide me with the unlock code. I don't think this phone can be OTA unlocked. Who do I need to contact to get the unlock code? T-Mobile says they don't have it, the SPC/MSL code does not work to unlock it. I contacted Sonim and they said T-Mobile has to contact them, T-Mobile refuses to contact Sonim.

Name:  Screenshot_20210408-014941.png
Views: 157
Size:  8.7 KB Name:  Screenshot_20210406-091111.png
Views: 164
Size:  18.9 KB Name:  Screenshot_20210406-091117.png
Size:  14.5 KB
    Personal: Sprint Apple iPhone SE (2020) (A2275) on Sprint Post Paid SERO Premium SWAC Plus running iOS 14.5.1 with Sprint 46.0 and PRL 55576 and modem firmware 2.04.07 and SIM card version SGI0003a
    Work: Sprint Sonim XP3 | AT&T iPhone 6

Feedback Score
    Is your unlock purpose to be able to run on the T-Mobile network? Seems this phone is UICC locked, which is why an MSL unlock code does not work. The difficulty here may be that this phone runs a proprietary OS that can only be modified by the manufacturer. They were locked to Sprint at the factory. Can you contact a CS rep that has Sprint experience rather than T-Mobile?

https://www.sprint.com/en/support/so...nt-device.html

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Can you contact a CS rep that has Sprint experience rather than T-Mobile?
    There isn't an option to ask for a rep who has Sprint experience or an extension you can dial. It's luck of the draw when the call is answered by customer service. Over time, the old Sprint plans and equipment will be dead/retired and all former Sprint customers will become T-Mobile customers, but it will take time to completely integrate.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    The thing is... Sprint likely has these SIM unlock codes in some excel spreadsheet *somewhere*.. The thing is finding whom actually knows where they are, and from my experience from working there in college... Good luck with that.

I'm betting it's even worse now as T-Mobile slowly clears house and gets their people/processes in place.

The other option is T-Mobile could simply release a SW update for these devices and add T-Mobile SIM's to it's UICC lock but I'm willing to bet that does not happen either.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more “rural” areas)

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techguru View Post
    They keep saying it's been unlocked in their system but they have failed to provide me with the unlock code. I don't think this phone can be OTA unlocked. Who do I need to contact to get the unlock code? T-Mobile says they don't have it, the SPC/MSL code does not work to unlock it. I contacted Sonim and they said T-Mobile has to contact them, T-Mobile refuses to contact Sonim.

Name:  Screenshot_20210408-014941.png
Views: 157
Size:  8.7 KB Name:  Screenshot_20210406-091111.png
Size:  18.9 KB Name:  Screenshot_20210406-091117.png
Size:  14.5 KB
    I would file an FCC complaint since T Mobile/Sprint has to unlock your phone if you meet their unlock requirements. Here is the link. https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    The other option is T-Mobile could simply release a SW update for these devices and add T-Mobile SIM's to it's UICC lock but I'm willing to bet that does not happen either.
    There does seem to be a requirement that Sonim does this by request of the carrier, and that the carrier can't do it themselves. The OP found out that T-Mobile was not interested in doing this for an odd model Sprint phone. It does seem like an FCC complaint might be the only way to force Sprint/T-Mobile to remove the UICC lock.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The Sprint website is still selling the XP3 in both versions (https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/cell-...sonim-xp3.html) (https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/cell-...on-camera.html) so it's not like this is some old discontinued phone. It would not surprise me if there are well over 10,000 active XP3's on Sprint right now. Due to this UICC lock these won't be able to be moved to T-Mobile's network once the last of the Sprint SIM's are deactivated in a few years. T-Mobile's site offers NO rugged business phones at all, no Sonim, No Kyocera, No CAT. (https://www.t-mobile.com/business/cell-phones)

So if T-Mobile don't find a way to move these Sprint phones over to the T-Mobile network there will most likely be thousands of Sprint business customers leaving to Verizon or AT&T who both offer the XP3 and others.

and before anyone says anything, the XP3 supports all of T-Mobile's bands except 71.

Last edited by techguru; 04-21-2021 at 05:49 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    The Sprint website is still selling the XP3 in both versions (https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/cell-...sonim-xp3.html) (https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/cell-...on-camera.html) so it's not like this is some old discontinued phone. It would not surprise me if there are well over 10,000 active XP3's on Sprint right now. Due to this UICC lock these won't be able to be moved to T-Mobile's network once the last of the Sprint SIM's are deactivated in a few years. T-Mobile's site offers NO rugged business phones at all, no Sonim, No Kyocera, No CAT. (https://www.t-mobile.com/business/cell-phones)

So if T-Mobile don't find a way to move these Sprint phones over to the T-Mobile network there will most likely be thousands of Sprint business customers leaving to Verizon or AT&T who both offer the XP3 and others.

and before anyone says anything, the XP3 supports all of T-Mobile's bands except 71.

I mean, if T-Mobile "really" wants to move them, they could again.. have Sonim issue a software update including the T-Mobile SIM.. but I doubt it'll happen.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I mean, if T-Mobile "really" wants to move them, they could again.. have Sonim issue a software update including the T-Mobile SIM.. but I doubt it'll happen.
    Depends on how many thousands of lines they're willing to lose...if you're going to force businesses to buy a new phone and not offer any business phone for sale most will move to a carrier that does sell business phones.

Feedback Score
    When I worked for a Sprint dealer a few years ago, there was an option in RMS to pull up unlock codes. If you can find a store with Sprint RMS on their terminals and they haven't completely retired the software yet, that could be an option.

Feedback Score
    The Sprint website is still selling the XP3 in both versions (https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/cell-...sonim-xp3.html) (https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/cell-...on-camera.html) so it's not like this is some old discontinued phone.
    Those Sprint links redirect to T-Mobile in my browsers. There are no industrial type T-Mobile phones I can see. Yes, Verizon and AT&T still have them. T-Mobile has an obsession only with urban/suburban 5G consumer service.

When the Sprint network will be finally shut off is still debatable. Moot point if they can't offer you the type of device you need.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    When I worked for a Sprint dealer a few years ago, there was an option in RMS to pull up unlock codes. If you can find a store with Sprint RMS on their terminals and they haven't completely retired the software yet, that could be an option.
    Are you sure that is UICC SIM Unlock codes and not SPC/MSL codes?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Are you sure that is UICC SIM Unlock codes and not SPC/MSL codes?
    When I was there, RMS only gave SPC/MSL codes.

I could usually dig around in Ensemble (I was one of 4 people in my market with access) and get the actual GSM unlock codes... but getting anyone now who still has access is going to be hard and require finding someone who's been a tech for well over a decade at this point.

Feedback Score
    I could usually dig around in Ensemble (I was one of 4 people in my market with access) and get the actual GSM unlock codes... but getting anyone now who still has access is going to be hard and require finding someone who's been a tech for well over a decade at this point.
    Sonim still sells these phones to both Verizon and AT&T, so they should know the UICC SIM unlock codes. OP was told by Sonim it required a carrier request, which T-Mobile seems to not want to do. I would go with an FCC complaint against T-Mobile for restricting the unlock. Tough beans if they don't care about that niche market after buying Sprint.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Sonim still sells these phones to both Verizon and AT&T, so they should know the UICC SIM unlock codes. OP was told by Sonim it required a carrier request, which T-Mobile seems to not want to do. I would go with an FCC complaint against T-Mobile for restricting the unlock. Tough beans if they don't care about that niche market after buying Sprint.
    I understand what you’re getting at here.. but I’m also saying for the person suggesting to go to a retail store.. I’m 99.9% sure the OP is not going to find an employee with access to the system required for them to get the code in the store... thus the RMS/Ensemble reference

Thus why I said it would require someone being a tech for 10+yrs at this point.. techs are generally at Sprint S&R locations

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast