Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 65

Thread: What are the chances of getting a TF unlocked if it's on a bundle plan?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    California between Fresno and Yosemite.
    Posts
    1,981
    Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    0

    What are the chances of getting a TF unlocked if it's on a bundle plan?

    I bought an unlocked Moto E for 119.99 at Best Buy. Then I started thinking about the TF Moto bundles, how low priced compared to unlocked ones, and I was wondering if there is any chance of getting one unlocked if it's on the bundle plan for a full year.

    Verizon could change things before the year is up and they might want to migrate TF's over to their plans. That would probably mess up the chance of getting a phone unlocked. I'm only speculating of course.

    I've stopped buying TFs because of the possibility of VZ changing things, but it's been dragging on so long I wonder if I bought a bundle phone now, I might risk getting it unlocked next year.

    Wouldn't they have stopped selling phones with a year's service if they didn't plan to honor the years service?

    Right, but I know people have been stacking airtime hoping they'll honor it.

    It's tempting. I made a list of what I found in order to decide which I would get, if I decided to get one.

    PHONES
    EBAY TF STORE

    Moto G Power, 6.4", XT2041, 64gb/4gb RAM, octacore, year service, 1500/1500/1.5gb
    119.99
    (The best specs for the price as far as I can tell, although it's large)

    Motorola G7 Optimo Maxx XT1955
    3gb, 32gb, 6.2", octacore,
    Years service bundle, 99.99
    (This sounds like the Moto G Play (2021) except smaller screen)

    Moto G7 Optimo refurb 5.7", 2/32gb
    59.99 without service (49.99/ TF website?) (Smaller size which is good, but no bundle so it can be unlocked after a years service, would have to buy a years airtime, minimum $80)

    HSN Motos

    Moto G XT2041 DL 6.4" 4gb/64gb
    5000mAh battery, C connector
    119.99 years service
    EBay store same price

    Moto E at HSN with a years service for about $80?


    Best Buy, Motorola website

    Moto G Play (2021) Unlocked GSM/CDMA
    6.5" 3gb/32gb
    5000mAh battery
    159.99 (+15 tax?)
    (The price makes me hesitate. It has a big phablet screen but the specs are what interest me)

    The Optimo Maxx at 99 sounds like the best deal pricewise with the years service. 5000 mAh battery? It's 6.2" the same size as the Moto E I got.

    I was worried about phones over 6" but the E is way better than I expected it would be. I hardly notice the size.

    I probably should get another unlocked E, but if I could get a bundle phone unlocked a year from now, wouldn't it be as usable as if I bought an already unlocked one?

    Or have people gotten their bundle phones unlocked, and then found they could only do certain bands?

    I'm most likely to activate GSM (AT&T or T-Mo on Red Pocket or H20) but having the bands for a Verizon or Sprint carrier/ MVNO makes it more useful. RP has CDMA plan SIMs too for $60/year.










    Sent from my moto e using HoFo mobile app

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    5,445
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    I bought an unlocked Moto E for 119.99 at Best Buy. Then I started thinking about the TF Moto bundles, how low priced compared to unlocked ones, and I was wondering if there is any chance of getting one unlocked if it's on the bundle plan for a full year....
    I don't see why not. I bought a HSN Moto E5 bundle in December 2019 and got it unlocked in December 2020.

    With the E5 unlocked it works with an AT&T MVNO. It used Tracfone on Verizon before being unlocked. The Tracfone Moto phones are not some models crippled to only work on Verizon.

    I don't expect Verizon to change that or not honor service time or units purchased before Verizon takes over.

    Verizon being allowed to buy Tracfone is not a sure thing. I'm not concerned about it either way.

    The Optimo Maxx is another name for Moto G Power.

    [Edit] Correction: The Optimo Maxx is another name for Moto G 7 Power.
    Last edited by bobdevnul; 04-17-2021 at 04:26 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Southwest Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,834
    Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    0
    ^^^ Just to interject about the model names, Optimo Maxx indicates the generation of Moto G (for TracFone family customers only) from (I think) 2019, commonly referred to as G7. For some reason the 2020 version wasn't given a "G8" designation, which will confuse things going forward. I can only wonder what the next generation will be called. Is it already in the pipeline or known to anyone?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    California between Fresno and Yosemite.
    Posts
    1,981
    Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I don't see why not. I bought a HSN Moto E5 bundle in December 2019 and got it unlocked in December 2020.

    With the E5 unlocked it works with an AT&T MVNO. It used Tracfone on Verizon before being unlocked. The Tracfone Moto phones are not some models crippled to only work on Verizon.

    I don't expect Verizon to change that or not honor service time or units purchased before Verizon takes over.

    Verizon being allowed to buy Tracfone is not a sure thing. I'm not concerned about it either way.

    The Optimo Maxx is another name for Moto G Power.
    Thanks for that good news. That's what I needed to know, that it can be unlocked and I can use the phone on GSM or another service if I want.

    If I paid the 159.99 for an already unlocked Moto it might save a lot of time waiting for unlock, but that's a lot of loot when I could get the phone with a years service for so much less through TF. For not much more I could get two bundle phones.

    The eBay TF store Moto G Power xt2041 with bundle is 6.4" with 64gb/4gb RAM, and the G7 Optimo Maxx xt1955 has 3gb RAM, 32gb onboard memory and is 6.2"

    I don't know what the year model but am assuming 2019 on the Maxx and 2020 on the Power(?)

    Hard choice. Generally I choose the less expensive. Either way if the phones are good, it seems the better choice than paying more to get them unlocked right away.

    My current TF doesn't expire til December 20 anyway.

    If I get the eBay bundle I have a number I can port to it. I think I'll do it.

    Thank you much for helping with my questions.





    Sent from my moto e6 (XT2005DL) using HoFo mobile app

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,960
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    0
    There still is the issue of what services, other than Tracfone based services, the phone will be supported on and what features will work. Such as Wi-Fi calling, Visual Voicemail, VoLTE, etc.

    My Galaxy A10e, which I'm eligible to unlock in late May, for instance. Has the bands for all 3 carriers, but who can I use it on if I left? The specific model isn't listed on ATT, for instance, though other A10e models are. I suspect it should work on T-Mobile, if that is my goal.
    iPhone 12 Pro is my current primary phone. No plans to upgrade plan to 5G.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    California between Fresno and Yosemite.
    Posts
    1,981
    Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    There still is the issue of what services, other than Tracfone based services, the phone will be supported on and what features will work. Such as Wi-Fi calling, Visual Voicemail, VoLTE, etc.

    My Galaxy A10e, which I'm eligible to unlock in late May, for instance. Has the bands for all 3 carriers, but who can I use it on if I left? The specific model isn't listed on ATT, for instance, though other A10e models are. I suspect it should work on T-Mobile, if that is my goal.
    Maybe someone in the forum has unlocked theirs and can say what carriers they managed to activate on afterwards.

    For that matter, has anyone unlocked the TF Moto G7 Optimo Maxx and put it on another carrier?

    Or the TF Moto G7 Power--?





    Sent from my moto e6 (XT2005DL) using HoFo mobile app

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    5,445
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    ^^^ Just to interject about the model names, Optimo Maxx indicates the generation of Moto G (for TracFone family customers only) from (I think) 2019, commonly referred to as G7. For some reason the 2020 version wasn't given a "G8" designation, which will confuse things going forward. I can only wonder what the next generation will be called. Is it already in the pipeline or known to anyone?
    Correction:
    The Optimo Maxx is the Tracfone name for a Moto G 7 Power - a 2019 phone.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    BP subsidized Gulf Coast
    Posts
    7,267
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    When you purchase a Tracfone bundle you are paying for the phone and the bundled airtime... so it qualifies for unlocking after 365 days of uninterrupted PAID bundled service. They do not specify a minimum amount of talk, text, and data to be used... only the 365 days.

    But with Verizon service, the phone must be both unlocked... and whitelisted. Not sure about additional AT&T and T-Mobile requirements.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    8,483
    Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    Maybe someone in the forum has unlocked theirs and can say what carriers they managed to activate on afterwards.

    For that matter, has anyone unlocked the TF Moto G7 Optimo Maxx and put it on another carrier?

    Or the TF Moto G7 Power--?
    If you already have the phone, and want to know if it'll be accepted by AT&T, T-mo, Verizon (and their MVNOs) after it's unlocked, you can use these IMEI checkers:

    AT&T BYOP IMEI Checker

    T-mobile BYOP IMEI Checker

    Verizon BYOP IMEI Checker

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    California between Fresno and Yosemite.
    Posts
    1,981
    Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    If you already have the phone, and want to know if it'll be accepted by AT&T, T-mo, Verizon (and their MVNOs) after it's unlocked, you can use these IMEI checkers:

    AT&T BYOP IMEI Checker

    T-mobile BYOP IMEI Checker

    Verizon BYOP IMEI Checker
    Thankyou for the links. I ordered the bundle today. Hopefully it'll pass muster after fulfilling the year's service.

    After unlock I imagine I'll activate on an AT&T or T-Mobile based MVNO like Red Pocket. The RP/T-Mobile $30 eBay plan has the best bargain. But it'd be nice if it was able to activate on a VZ based one if I wanted to try it.

    I think I'm done shopping cellphones for awhile.

    Sent from my moto e6 (XT2005DL) using HoFo mobile app

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    8,483
    Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    After unlock I imagine I'll activate on an AT&T or T-Mobile based MVNO like Red Pocket. But it'd be nice if it was able to activate on a VZ based one if I wanted to try it.
    I just checked the IMEI of my TF-branded LG Journey L322DL (still locked). It passed the IMEI checks of all 3 carriers above. Looks like Verizon now puts IMEIs of TF-branded on their whitelist too.

    Name:  LG-Journey-IMEI-Check-Verizon.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  33.6 KB

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    14,375
    Feedback Score
    0
    Wow! Although it always worked for iPhones, that's a big change for TF branded Android devices! I hope that's the new normal. Thanks for posting that, hpham!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,960
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    0
    Verizon and T-Mobile both passed it. Though T-Mobile mentioned they couldn't tell if unlocked. For ATT, said incompatible with eSIM, which is expected since it doesn't have eSIM

    I guess I never read the rules for TF unlocking close enough. I thought the service had to still be active. And if you just bought the year service/phone bundle, it wouldn't be. I see now there is a grace period, but I extended my coverage a few months ago.

    It is helpful for me that the phone appears to be compatible with all 3. One of the reasons I picked this phone a year ago was due to it having B71. It almost never hurts to have at least 1 spare phone if needed.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    California between Fresno and Yosemite.
    Posts
    1,981
    Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    0
    Got a private message that said this:

    TracFone Wireless will provide an unlocking code to customers who request unlocking, provided they meet the following conditions:
    1. Device must have not been reported as stolen, lost, or associated with fraudulent activity.
    2. Device may have already been unlocked or device may have a pending unlock request (customer should call for resolution).
    3. Device must have been activated on TracFone Wireless service for no fewer than 12 months.
    4. Device must have redeemed no fewer than 12 months of service.
    5. Device must have active service or be within 60 days after service expired.

    However, beginning February 03, 2021, we now offer our customers the option to unlock the phone for a fee if they have not met the 12 months of service requirements. The fee will be $150 minus $12 for every paid active month per device (cards on reserve are not calculated as paid active).

    To process your unlocking request, please call Customer Service at 1-800-867-7183. You may also click here (http://www.tfwunlockpolicy.com/). Enter the serial number (IMEI/MEID DEC) or the phone number of the device that you want to unlock.




    Sent from my moto e6 (XT2005DL) using HoFo mobile app

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    353
    Device(s)
    LY Stylo 2v
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    Got a private message that said this:

    TracFone Wireless will provide an unlocking code to customers who request unlocking, provided they meet the following conditions:
    1. Device must have not been reported as stolen, lost, or associated with fraudulent activity.
    2. Device may have already been unlocked or device may have a pending unlock request (customer should call for resolution).
    3. Device must have been activated on TracFone Wireless service for no fewer than 12 months.
    4. Device must have redeemed no fewer than 12 months of service.
    5. Device must have active service or be within 60 days after service expired.

    However, beginning February 03, 2021, we now offer our customers the option to unlock the phone for a fee if they have not met the 12 months of service requirements. The fee will be $150 minus $12 for every paid active month per device (cards on reserve are not calculated as paid active).

    To process your unlocking request, please call Customer Service at 1-800-867-7183. You may also click here (http://www.tfwunlockpolicy.com/). Enter the serial number (IMEI/MEID DEC) or the phone number of the device that you want to unlock.




    Sent from my moto e6 (XT2005DL) using HoFo mobile app
    Does the year service that comes with a bundled phone count as 12 months or do we have to add airtime cards every month to qualify for unlocking?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-15-2017, 08:42 PM
  2. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-17-2010, 02:46 AM
  3. What are the chances of Sprint getting the Storm2
    By greateststud1 in forum BlackBerry
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-15-2009, 03:59 PM
  4. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-28-2007, 11:09 PM
  5. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-04-2002, 12:09 PM

Bookmarks