Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What are the chances of getting a TF unlocked if it's on a bundle plan?

Feedback Score
    When you buy the bundle, you have already paid for 365 days. You just have to do the time with that original sim in place.

Feedback Score
    I just ran a still-locked Trac Moto E5 on all 3 checkers. Good to go on all 3, with the same wording mentioned by kevin1. The AT&T message that it's not compatible with eSIM follows up by saying that the website has saved me some time by adding the appropriate SIM to my cart, so that should be an approval.
    Of course, if I tried it today, none would work. But some day...

AT&T is the only one that worries me, just because most of the Tracfone-specific variants aren't on the VoLTE approval list there. Several Trac LG and TCL/Alcatel models do appear on the approval list.
    My Tello referral code is P3BSR5HV, and gets both of us 10 Tello Dollars to pay for a plan.
    https://tello.com/account/register?_referral=P3BSR5HV

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    When you buy the bundle, you have already paid for 365 days. You just have to do the time with that original sim in place.
    Also, I was able to get my bundle phone unlocked during the twelfth month before the full 365 days. Don't know exactly how early they will unlock.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Also, I was able to get my bundle phone unlocked during the twelfth month before the full 365 days. Don't know exactly how early they will unlock.
    Do you recall if you had renewed service at all, or were you able to buy a bundled plane with one year service, wait till close to a year was up, and unlock the phone without any additional purchases?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Mint, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pitflyer View Post
    Do you recall if you had renewed service at all, or were you able to buy a bundled plane with one year service, wait till close to a year was up, and unlock the phone without any additional purchases?
    People on Slickdeals report 1-2 weeks before, to a few days before plan expiration.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pitflyer View Post
    I did not need to add any service midway during the year. When I was trying to figure out how to do the unlock I did add a $10 30 minute card just before I requested the unlock. I don't think that made any difference.

After the unlock, I bought a new HSN bundle and transferred the service time and units to it.

I did run into a hitch with the unlock. I did a number change shortly after I got the first bundle because the number I got with it was pretty dirty for spam calls. When I contacted TF for the unlock they said the phone was not eligible for unlock because the current number did not match what it was activated with. Eventually they transferred me to a higher level of the unlock dept. and they did the unlock.

If the Verizon purchase of TF does not mess up the bundle deals I will get a new bundle at the end of the year for the current one. It's cheaper than buying a year of just service. I'm getting all the cell service I need for ~$5.40 a month, along with a new (basic) phone. The Moto E5 I had before and the E6 I am running now are not all that basic. They are perfectly adequate. I have used the cheap $30 AT&T Prepaid phones. The Motos are way better than that.

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Got my TF bundle phones today. They arrived a day sooner than expected. They came UPS not FedEx from Texas to California.

I activated the Moto Optimo Maxx via chat. I provided the necessary info in advance by cut and paste from a notepad to the chat window and it went fast.

For those who've never activated a bundle phone before, there's no special activation code to add the airtime that comes with the bundle. It's included automatically on activation.

The necessary info to activate with a new number: name, email address and PIN# associated with your TracFone account (if you created one), callback tel#, zip code, the new phone's IMEI and SIM/ICCID.

Some may offer different info at activation but that's what I always give them in advance to save answering questions later.

When I get a new phone I usually remove the SIM and set it up first before activating. I didn't remove the SIM this time but did set it up first.

When I switched on the Optimo Maxx, it went to the welcome screen and when I hit next, it tried to dial some code *22899 but got a busy signal. I can't say how I escaped that, because I went back and tried again and the third time it went to the usual set up screens.

I signed in on my primary Google account and installed my usual apps. I don't automatically install everything from my other phones because each phone is a little different. I usually start fresh with new phones.

One of the FIRST priorities I have before installing apps is going into Google Play and settings, switching auto updates off, choosing WiFi over mobile data, and "never auto update." That saves losing a lot of mobile data and it saves some annoyance from apps ALWAYS updating continually, using up the onboard memory.

After the Play Store, I go uninstall anything I don't want if it can be uninstalled.

I was able to uninstall Facebook on this phone.

The Moto phones are fairly good about not clogging the phone up with excess apps that can't be uninstalled.

Not perfect but better than some phones I've had.

This one arrived with 9.0 Pie, but wanted to update to 10. I read a lot of reviews that complained about their Moto phones becoming disfunctional after the update to 10 so I haven't accepted it yet.

The phone bundle came with a car charger which I don't need, (ear buds would have been more useful), and a protective case. I chose the paisley case and it's bright blue. It's a hard cover good for starters but most people will probably want to buy one personal to their own needs. The back of the phone is a beautiful shiny deep blue. A clear case would probably set it off better.

The phone is 6.2" and I thought it would annoy me but it really isn't as awkward as expected.

It has a nice screen and good feel to it.

Next I am going to set up my Moto G7 Power. It's bigger than the Optimo with 6.4" screen.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    The update to Android 10 works best if done on a fresh phone, no apps or anything done to it. Like a factory reset or a brand new phone.

I have found this to be the case after messing around with updates a few times. I ended up doing the dreaded factory reset first. A pain for sure.

Google likely tests their updates on fresh phones, so that's probably best. But your mileage may vary.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    The update to Android 10 works best if done on a fresh phone, no apps or anything done to it. Like a factory reset or a brand new phone.

I have found this to be the case after messing around with updates a few times. I ended up doing the dreaded factory reset first. A pain for sure.

Google likely tests their updates on fresh phones, so that's probably best. But your mileage may vary.
    Thanks, Lisme. I suspected as much. I almost did the update before installing stuff. Then I thought of the reviews saying 10 was a dog. Decided to ask here at the forum first.

Can I just keep ignoring the prompt to update? Will I lose the security patch updates too if I don't install 10?

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    WheelieBoot - I may have missed something, so let me ask: You got an Optimo Maxx (TF's version of the G7 Power, XT1955DL), and another Moto G7 Power or the current Moto G Power (XT2041DL)? Once that's clarified I'd be interested in a comparison of the two.

Feedback Score
    Android 10 is fine. Don't be afraid of it. There were problems with Verizon compatibility in some Motos after the update for some reason, but that has been patched.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    WheelieBoot - I may have missed something, so let me ask: You got an Optimo Maxx (TF's version of the G7 Power, XT1955DL), and another Moto G7 Power or the current Moto G Power (XT2041DL)? Once that's clarified I'd be interested in a comparison of the two.
    I bought the XT1955DC and the XT2041DC.

TFMTXT2041DCKP on the barcode label for the XT2041DC.

TFMTXT1955DCKP on the barcode label for the XT1955DC.

Visually they're very different. The Optimo Maxx has a beautiful deep blue shiny back and the Power has a shiny inky black back.

The cameras on back are laid out entirely different.

The Power isn't really much different in size, but it seems a tad narrower and a tad taller than the Optimo.

There are some slight differences that I noticed when setting up, but pretty similar in quality of feel.

The memory of course is one of the biggest differences. 3gb/32gb for the Optimo and 4gb/64gb for the Power. They both have 5000 mAh batteries.

The XT2041 came with Android 10.0 and the XT1955 with 9.0 with the option of installing 10.0.

Both support up to a 512gb microSD memory card.

The XT1955 has 12mp low light cam& an 8mp cam.

The Power has a triple 16mp+2mp+8mp cam arrangement, with a 16mp front facing cam.

The XT1955 has 1.8 octacore processor and the XT2041 has a 2.0 octacore processor.

The XT1955 has bluetooth 4.2 and the XT2041 has 5.0 bluetooth.

The XT1955 has 6.2" Max Vision HD+ display. The XT2041 has 6.4" FHD+ Max Vision display.

The XT2041 has 'water repellent design." It has Dolby tuned stereo speakers.

The XT1955 has TurboPower quick charge battery, up to 9 hours of power on 15mins charging (atleast that's what the box says).

Both claim up to 3 days of battery.

Both claim A-GPS / GPS capability.

Naturally it'll be awhile before I can use them enough to really notice much difference in everyday operation, but so far they really don't seem much alike.

The Android OS appearance or interface is pretty similar. The screen is just plain nice in look and feel on both.

So far I don't have a favorite because I've only had them a few hours.

I expected to like the Optimo best and the Power regard as sort of a luxury device but so far, the Optimo sort of looks nicer because of the richly colored back. The cameras on the Power give it away as the more spendy one. I wish the clear case was for the Optimo but I like the paisley. I'll probably get a clear case for it.

I'm not much for taking pix so I probably can't give any really useful input on the quality of the cameras, but it's to be assumed that the Power would be for more serious photographers.

I really need to get a tripod to take anything but blurbies.

When I activated, I decided since I'll be using them with Google Voice I would just get new numbers. The numbers start with the same exchange prefix and the last four numbers have the same first two digits but the last two are different. In other words, the numbers are the same until the last two digits, which is really good.

The numbers aren't these, but this is how they look for similarity, "480-0812" and "480-0887”

I can't stand totally randomized arrangements of numbers. I like repeating digits and zeroes.

Sent from my LG-K371 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Here's a side-by-side comparisons of Moto G7 Power (XT1955) vs Moto G Power (XT2041)

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Thanks to WheelieBoot and hpham. I'm seriously thinking about a pair of XT2041DLs from HSN to use on my PPC lines, so I'm in the early eval stage 😀.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    One thing I noticed about the Power, the USB C plug is really hard to remove from the port. So hard I was afraid I'd break it. Maybe it's just my phone, but just thought I'd mention it. The Optimo Maxx, not so hard.

I haven't used them enough yet to give any fair impression of their performance. But I like them both.

Over at Turk Forums they have threads for the phones under the TF Smartphone Forum.

Sent from my moto e6 (XT2005DL) using HoFo mobile app

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast