Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What will backup file do for transferring apps and settings to new phone?

Feedback Score

What will backup file do for transferring apps and settings to new phone?

I have a ZTE Maven and I did a backup with the included backup app. I saved the file to the phone. I don't have an SD card, so the file was saved in the phone's own memory.

I also just bought a new LG Phoenix 5 phone that I'll eventually be switching my service to. If I want to transfer everything I have in the Maven over to the Phoenix, how do I do that? Should I copy the backup file from the Maven to my PC and then from the PC to the Phoenix? I thought I should ask before trying that. Originally, I connected the Maven to my PC, and then copied all the individual folders of the Maven to my PC with the intention of copying them all from the PC to the Phoenix, but now I'm not sure if that's the way to do it or not. I don't want to mess up anything.

So, which way should I do it: Use the backup file, or transfer all folders? OR should I delete all the existing folders in the Phoenix and replace them with the ones from the Maven?
    Last edited by a107; 04-17-2021 at 09:58 PM.

Feedback Score
    Hello? Anyone???

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S6, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, TracFone, TextNow
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by a107 View Post
    Hello? Anyone???
    Vanilla Android doesn't have a built in backup app. Is yours a ZTE app, an ATT one or something else? Someone might be able to help if you posted the app's full name. Also the app should have some sort of help section that might tell you how to use it.
    Find and compare prepaid plans at https://prepaidcompare.net

Feedback Score
    Titanium Backup Pro. Rooted phones only & $6. But the best of it's kind bar none.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.05.22
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 07.04.21

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    Vanilla Android doesn't have a built in backup app. Is yours a ZTE app, an ATT one or something else? Someone might be able to help if you posted the app's full name. Also the app should have some sort of help section that might tell you how to use it.
    The ZTE Maven's Android version is 5.1, and the backup app is simply called Backup & Restore. I couldn't find anything within it that tells a brand name.

I was just wondering if the backup file it created could simply be copied over to the new phone (Phoenix 5) to transfer my apps and settings to the new phone.

Feedback Score
    I think its NOT likely.

If you check the in the manage apps section of your phone (where you would uninstall apps), there might be more info, or at the very least, a version # that might shed some light on details of that app.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Mint, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    I still have my Maven somewhere; here's some backup and restore info that might help. I've never used it.

https://www.hardreset.info/devices/z...en/faq/backup/
    https://www.att.com/device-support/i...84/ZTE/ZTEZ812

Feedback Score
    Thank you, but both links seem to talk about backing the phone up to a gmail account. What I'm attempting to do is create a backup file that I can copy over to a new phone so that the old phones data will be on the new one. I have a backup file created using the app on the old phone, but I don't know exactly where I would put it on the new phone. I don't know if I would drag it and drop it into a particular folder, or just in the open.

Feedback Score
    I found what you asked for. It's called Backup & Restore Version Mifavor 3.1.0
    I even tried Googling it, but didn't come up with an exact match, but rather a site that tells how to backup files to a computer (but not using Backup & Restore app). Here's the website: https://www.att.com/device-support/a...1/ZTE/ZTEZ835/

Should I just use that method? It involves simply copying each folder from the phone to the PC. The total size of the data I got when I copied all the folders from my Maven to my PC is 71.5MB, with the folder labeled "Android" being 56.5MB of it). What do I do with those folders if I want to transfer my Maven's data to my new phone? Would I just copy the Maven's folders onto the existing corresponding folders in the new phone? If so, would that include the "Android" folder, which seems to be by far the largest? I want to make sure to do it right. I don't want to replace the new phones Android version with the Maven's old version.

I'm starting to think the Android folder contains all the apps and contact data, but I don't want to transfer the folder into the new phone without asking and making sure it doesn't screw up the Android OS in the new phone. I'll wait for an answer to be sure.

Device(s)
    A71 5G, Pixel 3aXL/4a5G, Moto E6/G7 Power/Z3 Play/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    I don't think you can use your method of transferring files and data. The Phoenix 5 will have a much newer version of Android with different settings, and probably a somewhat changed (updated) file structure.

The best method of transfer IS backing up to your Google account (best to do over WiFi). When you start up the new phone, and sign in to your Google account, you will have the option of transferring your apps and contacts over. You will probably have to manually re-do some settings.

If you have photos, videos, or music on the phone, you can just copy them off to a PC and then back to the new phone, if you want. MicroSD cards are fairly cheap. It is handy to have one installed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    I don't think you can use your method of transferring files and data. The Phoenix 5 will have a much newer version of Android with different settings, and probably a somewhat changed (updated) file structure.

The best method of transfer IS backing up to your Google account (best to do over WiFi). When you start up the new phone, and sign in to your Google account, you will have the option of transferring your apps and contacts over. You will probably have to manually re-do some settings.

If you have photos, videos, or music on the phone, you can just copy them off to a PC and then back to the new phone, if you want. MicroSD cards are fairly cheap. It is handy to have one installed.
    I was hoping to avoid using Google for that. Transferring all of my phone's data to Google (who I call, the information about everyone I've ever had conversations with, where I've been) and would like to avoid that if possible.

I haven't used more than half of my storage area in the Maven, so the backup file is stored there. I copied it over to my PC. In the app folder, the apps are shown as APK files. Is that outdated and not compatible with what's used in phones today?
    Last edited by a107; 04-22-2021 at 09:13 PM.

Feedback Score
    I was hoping to avoid using Google for that. Transferring all of my phone's data to Google (who I call, the information about everyone I've ever had conversations with, where I've been) and would like to avoid that if possible...
    What do you think you've been stealth with Google? Because if you set up your phone like 99% of the public (including me. I stopped fighting the Borg.). Then Google already has all that & more.

And if you go through all the hoops & ask them to delete it, they will not. Best you'll get is everybody but Google & their advertising partners & the 3letters will be the only ones with access to your info. Meaning you might not see Google still has your info, but that's the best case.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    I was hoping to avoid using Google for that. Transferring all of my phone's data to Google (who I call, the information about everyone I've ever had conversations with, where I've been) and would like to avoid that if possible.

That ship has already sailed if you’re using Android.

Why do you think Google gives it away for free?

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Well, aside from the Google issues....
    Is APK still the format that is used for apps these days? @mframe mentioned that the new phone would probably have an updated file structure. Since the ones I have are in APK format, they should be compatible in my new phone if I were to copy them over to it, assuming APK format is still used in Android phone apps today. Is it?

Feedback Score
    .apk is still the app file extension. But is there a reason you don't want the newer app versions from the Play Store for your new phone? If you have a problem with the newer version of a particular app, you can always uninstall it, and install your saved old .apk version of the app.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast