Thread: iPad Data Plan for low use for occasional travel - Suggestion?

Feedback Score

iPad Data Plan for low use for occasional travel - Suggestion?

I have been using my iPad with the T-mobile 5GB for 5 months plan and that has worked out well for the occasional weekend trip where I do not have WIFI. I have heard that plan is no longer available and am approaching the end of my 5 months. Are there similar tablet data plans available? Sometimes I go months without using it, so I didn't want a recurring monthly plan.

TIA

Feedback Score
    I don't know of a similar plan for the money. I used to use that a lot for my Mini iPads. It still appears as an option on my Mini, but not on my iPad Pro. Strange. Look under the Cellular/Add Cellular Plan-Prepaid tab and see if the 5Gb/5 mo./$10 might still be there for your device. I currently am using a few of the Free voice line sims in my iPads. I have done that for years and never had a problem. Two get full speeds, two get throttled to 600kbps.
    Last edited by daleraver; 04-22-2021 at 09:32 AM.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for your reply. I no longer have the ability to add any T-Mobile plans. I'm using an iPad Pro 4th gen running IOS 14.4.2. For a couple of years I was using the free monthly 200mb (I think) allocation and buying the 5Gb when I traveled. When I go to Settings/Cellular Data/Manage T-Mobile Account I can no longer access anything. The last time I bought a 5Gb/5mo plan I had to call the pre-paid department. They told me they were upgrading their systems and I would not be able to add data via the iPad until the upgrade was complete (ETA unknown). Since then I have read that others have not been able to add the 5Gb plan and it was no longer being offered. Recently I received an email saying I deleted by T-mobile account, so I figured I better start looking for an alternative source of low cost data. If when my plan expires I can still get the free data that will probably be fine.

Feedback Score
    I also used to use the Free 200Mb/Month data on a few iPads, but they were locked to an IMEI so whenever you upgraded, you had to have them switch it. I think I still have one or two of the sims around somewhere.

I am currently running iOS Beta 14.5 on my Mini 5, and it has the option to select the $10/5Gb/5Mo prepaid, so I don't know why it isn't available for your device. Here is what I do to get to the $10 service:

Settings, Cellular Data-Add A New Plan, Select Carrier=T-Mobile, Go prepaid-One Time Passes tab, $10, 150 days, 5Gb. When I select this option it takes me to an account Log In screen and then Confirm Plan & Payment.
    Last edited by daleraver; 04-22-2021 at 11:38 AM.