Thread: activating $39.99 1-year card + merging with existing phone

Feedback Score

activating $39.99 1-year card + merging with existing phone

I found a couple of old threads regarding the $39.99 one-year deal. My questions are dealt with to some extent in these old threads, but it's hard to get a definitive answer, so allow to me start a new thread here.

Want: Activate a new $39.99 Verizon sim in an old TF (phone #1) with no service, and transfer over to (#1) the balance + end date + phone number of an existing Verizon TF (#2).

(Q1)
    Based on what I've read in these old thread, I should not be able to activate a new sim in an old TF. BUT: When I enter the SIM of (#1) into

https://www.tracfone.com/keep-your-own-phone

I seem to pass the test -- it asks me if I want a new number and if I need to buy air time etc. I do have two active TF, and when I enter the IMEI of these two active TF into this webpage I got an error message. Does that mean my old TF (#1) can accept the $39.99 sim?

(Q2)
    Assuming I can activate the $39.99 sim in (#1), what magic words should I use during online chat to

* activate the new sim in (#1), AND

* transfer to (#1) the balance + phone number + end of an active TF (#2) ?

Many thanks!

Feedback Score
    If you activate the sim first, you will then have a phone number there. Then you want to transfer another phone number to it. That is too complicated.

You should transfer the existing phone values to the new sim, thereby activating the new sim via a transfer. All the relevant values will combine into a grand total, along with the phone number.

They call this an upgrade, just moving everything to a new sim and IMEI of the phone it will be used in, if relevant.

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SaOn View Post
    Want: Activate a new $39.99 Verizon sim in an old TF (phone #1) with no service....
    What make/model is phone #1? Is it TF-branded or BYOP?

When I enter the SIM of (#1) into

https://www.tracfone.com/keep-your-own-phone

I seem to pass the test -!
    The test checks the IMEI, not the SIM number. Did you enter the SIM numer (as you wrote), or the IMEI number (what you meant to say)?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    What make/model is phone #1? Is it TF-branded or BYOP?
    The old & currently NOT active phone #1 is TF-branded.

The test checks the IMEI, not the SIM number. Did you enter the SIM numer (as you wrote), or the IMEI number (what you meant to say)?
    My bad: I do mean IMEI of old phone #1, not its SIM number -- I just double checked this using the TF website.

Interesting note, and I don't know if this is a good sign or bad sign: I happen to have a few NOT active, TF-branded phones, and according to the TF website they all pass the compatibility test (in the sense that I didn't get error messages). I don't know if that means I can use $39.99 sims for these not active TF-branded phones, OR that the TF compatibility website is not reliable?

Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    You should transfer the existing phone values to the new sim, thereby activating the new sim via a transfer. All the relevant values will combine into a grand total, along with the phone number.

They call this an upgrade, just moving everything to a new sim and IMEI of the phone it will be used in, if relevant.
    If I understand you correctly, the chat should proceed as follow:

(step 0) ask for current balance + end date of active phone #2.

(step 1) tell the agent that I have a BYOD sim and I want to "upgrade it" by transferring to this sim the (phone number)+(balance)+(end date) of active phone #2.

(step 2) once that's done, put this BYOD sim in the NOT ACTIVE, TF-branded phone #1 and check that everything work.

Is that correct? Anything to add/remove/change?

-----------------
    Questions:

(Q1) Should I tell the agent that I will put the sim into an old, not active TF-branded phone?

(Q2) In between (step 0 & 1) should I ask the agent to check that I can really put the $39.99 sim into phone #1? I'm *almost* okay with experimenting with this and possibly losing $39.99, but I'm NOT okay with losing current phone's number/balance/end dates.

Checking (Q1 & Q2) seem like a natural thing to do before (step 1&2), but I don't want to unintentionally open up another can of worms...

THANKS SO MUCH!

Device(s)
    Moto Z3 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I have done this many times.. I use chat and tell them I want to activate a new sim with my existing number.. they ask for existing number and new sim card number.. Usually takes them a few minutes to do it, then they tell me to put new sim into phone and attempt a call to see if everything works.. I do this and if the call works we are done.. Balance transfer usually shows up within an hour or so.. After that I just throw the old sim away.. I have to use chat as I need to activate the sim as "CDMA LESS", since my phone has no CDMA bands..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbw View Post
    I have done this many times..
    By "done this" do you mean

(a) merge an old account with the new sim

(b) put a new sim into a TF-branded phone that passes the compatibility website

(c) both (a)+(b)?

I use chat and tell them I want to activate a new sim with my existing number.. they ask for existing number and new sim card number.. Usually takes them a few minutes to do it, then they tell me to put new sim into phone and attempt a call to see if everything works.. I do this and if the call works we are done.. Balance transfer usually shows up within an hour or so.. After that I just throw the old sim away.. I have to use chat as I need to activate the sim as "CDMA LESS", since my phone has no CDMA bands..
    Are you using a BYOD phone or a TF-branded phone?

In my case both old phone + current phone are VZW; I assume no additional action/caution would be needed when I chat with the agent?

Thanks for your help!

Device(s)
    Moto Z3 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SaOn View Post
    By "done this" do you mean

(a) merge an old account with the new sim

(b) put a new sim into a TF-branded phone that passes the compatibility website

(c) both (a)+(b)?

Are you using a BYOD phone or a TF-branded phone?

In my case both old phone + current phone are VZW; I assume no additional action/caution would be needed when I chat with the agent?

Thanks for your help!
    A: Yes, but I call it activate a new sim with an existing number.
    B: NO, my phone is BYDO and not TF branded. It does pass the test though.

I always check my balance before I start so I have a reference point, but I have never had an issue.. I usually buy two cards, 1 for my phone and my wife's.. I can do hers from the website since as her phone is Verizon compatible, but since I have to use chat for mine, I just have the agent do both..

Feedback Score
    Do you still have the original sim from the old phone?

If the BYOD sim causes trouble, I believe you can transfer the lot over onto the old sim. A Verizon bonus.

Do not volunteer information to the agent. They do better if you just stick to the interview without distractions, and don't expect them to actually know facts anyway. These are basically data entry people a little lean on general info.

Device(s)
    Moto Z3 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I always keep the old sims, but have never used them for anything.. It has always worked for me.. Just lucky I guess.. I am going to do one tomorrow on my T-MO back up phone, but i just do that from the website, no need to have chat involved..

Device(s)
    Moto Z3 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I bought another one on Ebay, on.ly $32 with code.. Activated it on my T-mo backup phone on the website.. Took all of 5 minutes and worked perfectly..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbw View Post
    I bought another one on Ebay, on.ly $32 with code.. Activated it on my T-mo backup phone on the website.. Took all of 5 minutes and worked perfectly..
    What type of code did you use .Thanks

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gus49 View Post
    What type of code did you use .
    THIS POST (#3726) said there was a 20% OFF code, but it expired on 4/21/21.

Device(s)
    Moto Z3 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gus49 View Post
    what type of code did you use .thanks
    tracfone20

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    When the promotion was in effect it was advertised at the top of each Tracfone page.

Device(s)
    Moto Z3 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    When the promotion was in effect it was advertised at the top of each Tracfone page.
    Not sure, I read about it on Slickdeals.net