Thread: Swap sims between phones.

Device(s)
    BLU V5, iPhone 6, iPhone SE2
    Carrier(s)
    TruPhone (ATT), Mint Mobile (TMo), TracFone (VZN), Cricket (ATT)
    Feedback Score

Swap sims between phones.

Iím considering Visible for my new phone service. Iíve read in other threads that Verizon doesnít like sim swapping especially with iPhones.

My situation is this: I have an older iPhone that I want to use for hotspot when Iím home. (That battery is mostly toast and it needs to be plugged in almost all the time). I have newer iPhone that I use out and about.

Is it possible to use the visible sim in one phone when Iím home and then put it in the other one when I go out?

(Basically, Iím trying to protect the battery life of the newer phone and hotspot kills it like no ones business.)

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

iPhone SE2 on Cricket (Primary)
    BLU V5 on TruPhone/Mint Mobile (Backup)
    iPhone 6 on Tracfone - VZ (Backup)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by minij View Post
    Iím considering Visible for my new phone service. Iíve read in other threads that Verizon doesnít like sim swapping especially with iPhones.

My situation is this: I have an older iPhone that I want to use for hotspot when Iím home. (That battery is mostly toast and it needs to be plugged in almost all the time). I have newer iPhone that I use out and about.

Is it possible to use the visible sim in one phone when Iím home and then put it in the other one when I go out?

(Basically, Iím trying to protect the battery life of the newer phone and hotspot kills it like no ones business.)
    Visible doesn't care what phone your SIM is in and you don't need to contact them to move it.

I don't know about iPhones, but when I switched from one Android phone to another they said just move the SIM. They did not require any info at all about the phones.

All the same, moving a SIM between phones frequently doesn't seem like a good idea to me. The SIM and the socket for it in the phone are not made for that kind of use.

Device(s)
    BLU V5, iPhone 6, iPhone SE2
    Carrier(s)
    TruPhone (ATT), Mint Mobile (TMo), TracFone (VZN), Cricket (ATT)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reply. I considered the sim slot issue. But I think killing the battery is more likely to happen based on past experience. I wouldnít be moving it everyday.

I was just more concerned that, like tracfone, they somehow lock the sim to a particular phone. If they donít do that, then I have some flexibility with protecting the battery life of my newer phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Visible doesn't care what phone your SIM is in and you don't need to contact them to move it.

I don't know about iPhones, but when I switched from one Android phone to another they said just move the SIM. They did not require any info at all about the phones.
    Interesting. Sounds like Visible does the same as PagePlus (a TF company). Their system updates the imei/sim pairing automatically. If Visible (a Verizon company) allows it, surprised Verizon itself or other Vzw MVNOs don't.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    Iíve never had an issue SIM swapping on Verizon or any of their MVNOs.

What issues are people experiencing when they SIM swap with iPhones?

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10+, bunch of others
    Carrier(s)
    VerizonPP, 3UK, VodaFone
    Feedback Score
    AFAIK, if the phone is plugged in to the charger it would be using charger power and only some of the battery power if the charger couldn't keep up. And if there's extra charger power available over what the hot spot needs, it will go toward charging the battery.

Do you think this mode, using your new phone, would hurt it's battery?? You're not really running it down when used like this.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Colecaz View Post
    AFAIK, if the phone is plugged in to the charger it would be using charger power and only some of the battery power if the charger couldn't keep up. And if there's extra charger power available over what the hot spot needs, it will go toward charging the battery.

Do you think this mode, using your new phone, would hurt it's battery?? You're not really running it down when used like this.
    The most common cause of cellphone battery degradation in normal use is the number of charge cycles. They are good for about 1000 full charge equivalent cycles. Discharging them deeply repeatedly, especially when run hot, will also degrade the battery.

It's not as well known, but leaving a Li battery at 100% charge for extended periods will also degrade the battery. The hotter the battery is the faster it will degrade. Phones running hotspot tend to be warm. I would not do this to a $1000 iPhone. It can be minimized by putting the charger on a timer and only charge long enough to keep the battery around 50-80%.

I have personally experienced this on a notebook computer that I left the charger plugged in all of the time. Within a year a new battery was all but dead. I will only run the notebook for ~15 minutes now.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless(prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    If the charger is working properly, it stops charging at 100%. And least this is what happens with my wireless chargers that I have used with an S6, S8, S10, and S21. And then they won't start charging again until the battery level drops.

I've not had any problems with my cell batteries. But since I started buying new Galaxy S phones, starting with the S6, I don't keep them more than two years. So I don't use them long term.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
    If the charger is working properly, it stops charging at 100%. And least this is what happens with my wireless chargers that I have used with an S6, S8, S10, and S21. And then they won't start charging again until the battery level drops.

I've not had any problems with my cell batteries. But since I started buying new Galaxy S phones, starting with the S6, I don't keep them more than two years. So I don't use them long term.
    That is basically correct. The charging control is in the phone. The bit you plug in the wall is just a power supply. The problem arises when the power supply is connected all of the time, as in running a phone as a hotspot for home Internet. That keeps the battery charged to 100% (or close to it) which degrades the battery. Most mobile phone users charging intermittently don't have this problem.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post

I don't know about iPhones, but when I switched from one Android phone to another they said just move the SIM. They did not require any info at all about the phones...
    Exactly my Visible experience.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.05.22
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 07.04.21