Thread: Hotspots

Carrier(s)
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score

Hotspots

I have 2 phones on PP. 1 works fine as a Hotspot on the monthly 39 plan (and worked previously on the 29 plan). The other on the 29 plan says the service doesn't support hotspots. Anyone know why it would work on 1 phone and not the other? Per PP they don't support hotspots so I can't get help from them.

Feedback Score
    Some phones flat don't have a HS ability. Knowing the phones your talking about would help.

Feedback Score
    I am thinking it is an account lock in some cases. Some models like the Moto G Power will not do hotspot on Tracfone, but will on Straight Talk and Total Wireless that have hotspot in their plans. Some older Moto models do hotspot fine, so they are not asking permission from the network like the newer ones do. Yes, some phone models never had hotspot capability.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    We need to know the phone models because from what I have seen, some phone models does not look the SIM provisioning while other phones look at the SIM provisioning.

Carrier(s)
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    The phone that is working is a Moto Z3 on Android 9. The phone thst doesn't is a Moto g7 on Android 10.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by valvo23 View Post
    The phone that is working is a Moto Z3 on Android 9. The phone thst doesn't is a Moto g7 on Android 10.
    Is the Moto G7 a BYOD factory unlocked model, or branded model from a Tracfone company? I believe the lockout for hotspot started with the G7, as the G6 or earlier does not have it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Is the Moto G7 a BYOD factory unlocked model, or branded model from a Tracfone company? I believe the lockout for hotspot started with the G7, as the G6 or earlier does not have it.
    I just checked my generic, unlocked Moto G7 Power with Android 10 that has Page Plus paygo service. The hotspot will not even turn on. I had previously used this phone on Visible where the hotspot definitely did work.

Carrier(s)
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    The g7 is a factory unlocked model.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by valvo23 View Post
    The g7 is a factory unlocked model.
    There are now a number of confirmations that the Moto G7 and G Power have no hotspot on the Tracfone companies that don't have that in their plans. I would expect this restriction on branded phones, but not on factory unlocked ones. This is a big consideration for my use.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I just checked my generic, unlocked Moto G7 Power with Android 10 that has Page Plus paygo service. The hotspot will not even turn on. I had previously used this phone on Visible where the hotspot definitely did work.
    Someone said you can latch on hotspot if data is off, but it flips off with a notice when turning data back on.

Carrier(s)
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Looks like its a g7 and Android update issue. Found the following thread that is exactly the same issue with exact same phone..
    https://www.reddit.com/r/MotoG/comme..._hotspot_back/

Never rooted a phone but may have to look into it I guess.

Feedback Score
    Just throwing this out there. How about tethering (via usb) instead of hot spotting. Sorry I don't recall the phone, but tethering would work, hot spot wouldn't. Do your phones that aren't allowing HS have a switch for tethering and if that works ?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Just throwing this out there. How about tethering (via usb) instead of hot spotting. Sorry I don't recall the phone, but tethering would work, hot spot wouldn't. Do your phones that aren't allowing HS have a switch for tethering and if that works ?
    Good suggestion! In the old days of using FoxFi it was sometimes possible to USB tether if WiFi hotspot would not work. I just tried it on my Moto G5 Plus, and it shows as "Network3" in the list of available Internet sources on my computer. Question is will that work on a G7 or G Power on the TF/VZW network?
    Last edited by loboheeler; 04-23-2021 at 06:24 PM.