Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Verizon grows wireless service revenue, loses 178K phone subs in Q1

Name:  IMG_0101.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  34.1 KB

In Q1 2021, Verizon recorded 170,000 retail postpaid net losses, including 178,00 net phone losses. That compares to 68,000 net phone losses a year ago.

First quarter results showed 360,000 net postpaid losses on the consumer side, including 250,000 net phone losses.

Verizon’s prepaid tally ticked up slightly, with 19,000 net additions. That stands to expand greatly if Verizon completes a planned acquisition of TracFone, which counts around 21 million prepaid subscribers.

Its business segment saw subscriber gains, adding 47,000 net phones for total 156,000 net postpaid adds in the group. It’s still much lower than the 239,000 net phone additions Verizon’s business group posted in Q1 2020.

https://www.fiercewireless.com/finan...-phone-subs-q1

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I wonder if their retail postpaid losses could be due to Spectrum and Xfinity Mobile, since they offer a postpaid like experience and allows you to finance devices.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techguru30 View Post
    I wonder if their retail postpaid losses could be due to Spectrum and Xfinity Mobile, since they offer a postpaid like experience and allows you to finance devices.
    I assume that this likely has a little to do with it but I’m unsure how much.

Although I know Xfinity mobile and spectrum mobile has plans to eventually be more profitable I suspect that them offering mobile service has a lot more to do with them retaining/attracting wired broadband/tv customers. You can’t get either mobile service without having a current internet or tV plan. I think they offer it to keep people from switching wired service providers as often.

In my area a lot of places have FIOS and Xfinity internet. I’m sure Xfinity thinks that if the customers have mobile service through them as well then they will be less likely to leave.

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    I assume that this likely has a little to do with it but I’m unsure how much.

Although I know Xfinity mobile and spectrum mobile has plans to eventually be more profitable I suspect that them offering mobile service has a lot more to do with them retaining/attracting wired broadband/tv customers. You can’t get either mobile service without having a current internet or tV plan. I think they offer it to keep people from switching wired service providers as often.

In my area a lot of places have FIOS and Xfinity internet. I’m sure Xfinity thinks that if the customers have mobile service through them as well then they will be less likely to leave.

Their business model makes sense since you are locking them down to their home internet service with their wireless service with device financing.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Their business model makes sense since you are locking them down to their home internet service with their wireless service with device financing.
    Yeah. I have a cousin who “switches” wired internet providers every year or two so they can keep the lowest rates. One year she will sign up with Xfinity then the next year she will switch and sign up with FIOS. The following year or two her husband will then sign up as a new customer and switch back to Xfinity. They do this to keep the best rates because both service are pretty expensive once the promos run out.

I would bet if they signed up with Xfinity mobile next time they were using Xfinity internet it would make them more hesitant to switch back to FIOS.

I think in the end Verizon probably really doesn’t care anyways. They are still making money wether it’s directly through the customer on Verizon postpaid or in-directly through an Xfinity mobile sub because Xfinity still pays Verizon a base discounted rate for at the mobile data they consume.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    One point of reference from the article points out that despite losses on both the consumer and business segments revenues increased.

So someone is doing something right here.

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    One point of reference from the article points out that despite losses on both the consumer and business segments revenues increased.

So someone is doing something right here.

That is why I suspect the loses might be coming from Xfinity and Spectrum Mobile. Even though on paper their no longer Verizon Wireless customers, they are still generating revenue for Verizon Wireless.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA, Vodafone ES
    Feedback Score
    That is why I suspect the loses might be coming from Xfinity and Spectrum Mobile. Even though on paper their no longer Verizon Wireless customers, they are still generating revenue for Verizon Wireless.
    Why do you think that Verizon customers are more susceptible to switch to Xfinity or Spectrum Mobile as opposed to AT&T or T-mobile customers (both carriers being net positive in customer gains).

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy84094 View Post
    Why do you think that Verizon customers are more susceptible to switch to Xfinity or Spectrum Mobile as opposed to AT&T or T-mobile customers (both carriers being net positive in customer gains).
    I would expect their revenue to drop if they lost that many customers not increase, especially if they have switched over to another wireless network provider. I suspect what is happening is you have customers switching over to a Verizon MVNO to save money and still have access to the Verizon network. That would explain why their revenue is increasing despite losing customers. In addition Spectrum Mobile and Xfiinty Mobile are growing fast and provide a similar postpaid experience for a cheaper monthly rate.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I would expect their revenue to drop if they lost that many customers not increase, especially if they have switched over to another wireless network provider. I suspect what is happening is you have customers switching over to a Verizon MVNO to save money and still have access to the Verizon network. That would explain why their revenue is increasing despite losing customers. In addition Spectrum Mobile and Xfiinty Mobile are growing fast and provide a similar postpaid experience for a cheaper monthly rate.
    This isn’t exactly what happened. Revenue is up over 1st quarter last year, it’s not up from quarter to quarter though. Verizon added customers last year for the year, so it makes sense service revenue would be up, but service revenue from q4 2020 to q1 2021 has declined, thus showing that they are losing revenue along with those customers.