Feedback Score

iPhone 12 & Wi-Fii Calling

I have an iPhone 12 and just discovered Wi-Fi Calling which I guess has been around for awhile just new to me. I enabled it on my iPhone and it is showing VZW Wi-Fi (plus the icon) in the Control Center so all is good.

My question is will it automatically revert to cellular when the Wi-Fi signal is weak when my phone is set to '5G Auto' or does it have to be set to LTE?

Phone
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yes. It does it all on its own in the background. If you go into an area with poor or no cellular connection is available the phone will automatically revert to WiFi calling (as long as the device is already connected to WiFi).

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Thanks Joe!

Feedback Score
    There is another feature of the dual sim iPhones relating to WiFi calling. Apple built into iOS 13.XX and above the ability to simulate WiFi calling with two active sims. If one line cannot get cellular service and the second line does, then the first line will use the second as a WiFi source and connect. It is called IMS, (Internet Protocol Multimedia Subsystem) and is useful when needed. It registers with your carrier as a WiFi call and is useful if WiFi calling is free or cheaper than cellular calls. T-Mobile has free WiFi calling internationally for instance, and this system enables free calls without a true WiFi source to and from the US while roaming internationally.

Feedback Score
    I made a call using Wi-Fi Calling and it sounded fine so pleasantly surprised none of the latency issues I have read about.

I did turn off my cellular to make a call to my landline just to see if it was definitely using Wi-Fi Calling and it was. Is there anywhere on my iPhone where it states what method was used to make or answer each individual call?

I'd really like to get rid of my landline but have always enjoyed using a Panasonic cordless phone 5 or 6 handset set for our house. Does anyone know if Panasonic's Link2Cell system will work with Wi-Fi Calling?

Phone
    Moto G Stylus, Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier
    Liberty Wireless, FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Are you already using your iPhone with the Panasonic cordless phone for cellular calls?

The Panasonic cordless phone will work if so, but will still add a bit of latency since it's works through Bluetooth.

Sent from my moto g stylus using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    No I don’t have a Panasonic Link2Cell set I have one of their regular setups (no Bluetooth). I would be willing to try one though if I knew for sure their Link2Cell worked with Wi-Fi Calling and then I would have to see if the latency was tolerable.

Here’s the issue... I have an adult blind son that’s living in our basement. We have two landlines one for my wife and I plus he has his own line. I can see now with Wi-Fi Calling I could easily get rid of our line but I’d really like to get rid of his too but that causes an issue for him.

He’s only used a cellphone when going on a trip and was never comfortable using one... I’m sure he would never accept having to use one full time. This is where I thought a Panasonic Link2Cell cordless phone set might solve my issue.

Phone
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    I have a few older Panasonic Link2Cell systems that worked with flip phones but won't work with newer Androids and iPhones. (They work, but won't reconnect automatically)

I picked up one of the newer Panasonic HD units from Costco & it is working well with my mom's iPhone 7. Latency is usually more of a problem when both users are on cell phones and using Bluetooth.

(

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    I have a few older Panasonic Link2Cell systems that worked with flip phones but won't work with newer Androids and iPhones. (They work, but won't reconnect automatically)

I picked up one of the newer Panasonic HD units from Costco & it is working well with my mom's iPhone 7. Latency is usually more of a problem when both users are on cell phones and using Bluetooth.

(
    So would you assume your newer Panasonic Link2Cell would still work if you were using Wi-Fi Calling?

Phone
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    I don't see why Wi-Fi calling wouldn't work. The cordless phone just relays what comes out of the cell phones Bluetooth.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    I don't see why Wi-Fi calling wouldn't work. The cordless phone just relays what comes out of the cell phones Bluetooth.

Since your posts I've been looking into Panasonic Link2Cell with HD Audio. Sometimes with Amazon reviews it's hard to get a true assessment of a device because people will complain about anything but there seems to be a lot of complaints about noisy, crackling audio via Link2Cell.

Do you find that to be an issue with your mom's Link2Cell setup?

Phone
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    No glaring audio issues on my end when talking with her. When I tested it on her end it does have a bit of noise, but not a deal breaker & she never complains. The HD model is a definite improvement in sound quality over the older non-HD models. One thing that hasn't improved is the slight initial delay on the outgoing audio when answering the cordless phone.

The only thing she complained about is not having a dial tone (Had to explain there is no dial tone since it's not a landline)

Feedback Score
    Ok thanks for the info!