Thread: Only 5g Sim Cards Available By Mail

Feedback Score

Only 5g Sim Cards Available By Mail

I ordered a sim card by mail. When I tried to activate it on my non-5g phone, I was told by the CSR that the sim card could not be activated because the phone was not 5g capable, only 5g sims were available by mail, and I would have to go to a Boost store to get a non-5g sim.

Feedback Score
    What specific phone model are you trying to activate? I'll look up the simm, and you can order it off of ebay, or call around stores until you find a store that has it still has it. If its an older phone, you will only have service to January unless they extend it.

What's going on below:
    Boost Care thinks the T-Mobile expanded coverage means everyone has 5g. They don't know any better. There are Boost Mobile Simms in store that work with the T-Mobile network. They support 5g and 4g. If it's an older Boost Phone, it may be incompatible with the T-Mobile network (designed to run on Sprint network or yellow network). You would need a very specific older simm card, and you will only have service till January.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vegasdave View Post
    What specific phone model are you trying to activate? I'll look up the simm, and you can order it off of ebay, or call around stores until you find a store that has it still has it. If its an older phone, you will only have service to January unless they extend it.

What's going on below:
    Boost Care thinks the T-Mobile expanded coverage means everyone has 5g. They don't know any better. There are Boost Mobile Simms in store that work with the T-Mobile network. They support 5g and 4g. If it's an older Boost Phone, it may be incompatible with the T-Mobile network (designed to run on Sprint network or yellow network). You would need a very specific older simm card, and you will only have service till January.
    The phone is a Motorola E4.

Feedback Score
    SIMOLW416Q if it's a Boost Mobile branded e4. There is one seller on Ebay or you can call around to stores. You will need to upgrade to a new phone around January.

Feedback Score
    SIMOLW416Q if it's a Boost Mobile branded e4. There is one seller on Ebay or you can call around to stores. You will need to upgrade to a new phone around January.
    No, it's an unlocked phone that was not Boost branded.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by analogman View Post
    The phone is a Motorola E4.
    An unlocked Moto XT1768 E4 should be compatible with T-Mobile, with the exception of not having B71 for extended range. The Verizon branded variant may not support VoLTE on T-Mobile, which could make it unable to be activated.

You might run your IMEI through the T-Mobile compatibility checker for BYOD phones.

Feedback Score
    My phone is a 4g. Will boost require phones to be 5g in January?

Feedback Score
    Do you mean Boost will require 5g phones in January?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by analogman View Post
    My phone is a 4g. Will boost require phones to be 5g in January?
    No carrier is going to require a 5G phone anytime soon (5 years?). Much of the "Nationwide" 5G requires 4G as a control network (DSS) anyway.

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    I have a 416q in my possession, but I am out of country until late May. If you want to cover the shipping cost, I can send it your way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro