Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Feedback Score

Who's getting AirTags?

I ordered a 4 pack to split with someone for delivery on April 30th. Kinda anxious to see them in action and learn all the features, test range, tracking accuracy, etc. I think it's pretty clever of them to employ a mesh network via Find My services on Apple devices.

With a 10% Vet discount and no sales tax, they only cost about $22 each.

I don't need them to keep track of my keys and expect to use them mostly for travel with luggage. The little fobs is where it looks like Apple is trying to make a profit. Like giving away the razor and selling the blades. So far my plan is to try and keep them concealed inside the bag or backpack. I'm hoping if they are less obvious they are less likely to be tossed by a thief. Hopefully this will solve the problem of "I Think That's My Bag" on the carousel at the airport or elsewhere.

Phone
    iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone SE, Galaxy a10e
    Carrier
    Boom Mobile, Mobi
    Feedback Score
    4 on order. Luggage too (last time I flew, my luggage showed up 2 nights later at 1:30 in the morning after the airport had someone drive it 200 miles).
    iPhone 12 Pro is my current primary phone. Now using both eSIM and nano SIM. And also have a Galaxy a10e as a backup travel phone.

Phone
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Yes getting some myself!

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Just wondering, what opinions about the Apple Air tags so far ? When I got my new Samsung S21, they included a Smart Tag which is essentially the same product. For me it is just a novelty at this point.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Tried one out last night and was a little dissappointed by the soft chirp and lack of range around the house. I found a spare battery and replaced the original and the toner was much louder and the range improved also. Surprised they shipped with lame batteries, but hey, China right? Anyway, I will be playing around with them more today probably when I find the time and will report back with any news.

Phone
    iPhone 12 Pro Max / iPhone 7
    Carrier
    Pacific Bell Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    I’m also interested in getting a few if these things, as well, and very likely to use them for things like keeping track like my keys, luggage, backpack and maybe throw one in my car and see if this will work to help me find it in a parking lot. If anybody can try to see if it will work for this purpose, please report back.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I think with the exception of the new T-Mobile device, the Apple, Samsung and Nextag require you to be within Bluetooth range of your phone to be effective. Not helpful if you are traveling and lose the device with the tag and you are in a different state.

Phone
    i576, i355, i700+
    Carrier
    MiKE
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    I think with the exception of the new T-Mobile device, the Apple, Samsung and Nextag require you to be within Bluetooth range of your phone to be effective. Not helpful if you are traveling and lose the device with the tag and you are in a different state.
    I believe the idea is that it just has to have been in range of another persons phone to be effective.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    The AirTag needs to connect with an Apple device (Host) that has an iCloud account, can communicate with Bluetooth, and has Location Services enabled. The Host device can then forward the Tag location to the Apple Servers via an encrypted message which then is relayed to the owners' device. This is supposed to be a transparent operation to the Host device owner, with no record or notice left behind. Probably not much different that other data collected by Apple in the background. It should work around the world where users meet these criteria. Apple says they do not know the location information or the owner of the Host that helped find it.

Feedback Score
    Small update to my Airtag experience. I am still not too impressed by the range of the Airtags nor the low toner alert. I do see the advantage of the iCloud system for location and will keep them for that reason. However, after viewing a number of comparison YouTube videos, I've ordered a pair of Tile Pro Trackers. (Costco Website, [email protected]$49.99, Free Shipping inc.) They seem to have a much greater local range and much louder alert when paged. I think the two systems should be quite complimentary for my intended use of locating my luggage while traveling. To be continued...

Phone
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Who's getting AirTags?

Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    Small update to my Airtag experience. I am still not too impressed by the range of the Airtags nor the low toner alert. I do see the advantage of the iCloud system for location and will keep them for that reason. However, after viewing a number of comparison YouTube videos, I've ordered a pair of Tile Pro Trackers. (Costco Website, [email protected]$49.99, Free Shipping inc.) They seem to have a much greater local range and much louder alert when paged. I think the two systems should be quite complimentary for my intended use of locating my luggage while traveling. To be continued...
    Just curious. Did you try to replace the battery. I saw a few people that posted that they had a noticeable difference in both volume and range after putting in new batteries.

I’m wondering if they are just sent with crappy batteries.

Last edited by JoeInPa; 05-04-2021 at 07:56 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    Just curious. Did you try to replace the battery. I saw a few people that posted that they had a noticeable difference in both volume and range after putting in new batteries.

I’m wondering if they are just sent with crappy batteries.

That is likely. I activated two Airtags and the first one was noticeably quieter than the second. I replaced the battery and the volume seemed to be equal. There actually is a little battery level indicator in the Find My display for each AT, identical to the one in an iPhone status bar.

Feedback Score
    I just got a pair of Tile Pro trackers for comparison to the Airtags and will be evaluating them in the next few weeks.

My first impression mostly confirms why I bought them in the first place. They do have a greater range for local location and the toner is much louder besides. The other strong point is that they can activate a pretty loud ring tone on your phone by pressing their button twice. This should be useful to my wife who frequently misplaces her phone around the house. Battery life is reported to be a year with the same CR2032 as Airtags. They are slightly larger but that is offset by having a key ring hole in the outer edge, so no carrier is required.

I am optimistic about using them in conjunction with the Airtags for tracking my luggage. The Tile has a greater range, but a coarser location indication. I'm hoping Airtags with their much larger network will give a better probability for global location. Then the Tile should do the last few hundred feet, since Airtags seem to only be good for 50 feet or so.

Costco has them on their website for $49 per pair and free shipping. They took 4 days to arrive.

Phone
    Motorola and a LTE iPad
    Carrier
    T -Mobile ATT Mint
    Feedback Score
    Hi took my AirTag for a weekend drive , 400 plus mile Roundtrip
    It was amazing how good the GPS tracking is , I had my iPad on and it would show me what parking spot i was parked in ,

I do hope the next version has a way to adjust the volume up , and that it lets you let the family see location and not just a single account .
    Wanted: old barnfind VWs , Old Porsche projects and Sports cars ,
    save them from the crusher , I have had my tetanus shots so rust does not scare me ,
    anything considered even parts cars

Feedback Score
    The trick is how well they track when your own Apple devices are not present.

I have been using the Tile Pro and Airtag trackers for the past few weeks and they are performing about the way I expected. The Tile Pro has a much louder toner, and the precision locating of the Airtag is quite useful. I intend to use both while traveling in my checked luggage and backpack for peace of mind. I returned the 2 pack of Tile Pros to Costco and bought a 4 pack from Ebay for $65. This gives our household 2 apiece and that should work out well. The outdoor range of the Tile Pros is generally at least 200 feet, and you can hear the toner just about anywhere in your house because they are so loud. One YouTube video claimed 128db for the Tile Pro, and 92 for the Airtags. I wish the Airtags were the same volume level. I get about a 40-50 ft. range from the Airtags indoors, and the precision location generally within 40 feet or so. Apple did not oversell their range and most should be happy with what is advertised.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast