Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ported out number - can't reactivate account

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Ported out number - can't reactivate account

I'm hoping @hpham knows the solution...

I ported out a phone number on an iPhone SE (2016 model).
    The phone's MEID status is "inactivated" (since Mar 29).
    As @hpham guided previously, my intention is to add new airtime to this inactivated account and then just transfer the balances to one of my other active TF-account phones (which is also an iPhone SE).

When I try to activate it again (via web or via CSR chat), they're stating this:
    Our partners are upgrading their network to provide you with the highest quality service. Unfortunately, this phone is not compatible and can't be activated.

They're planning to call me back with further feedback, but I'm not hopeful.

Q1: Does this error make sense? Verizon (or AT&T) Tracfone accounts don't accept iPhone SE's anymore?

Q2: What's an alternative way to get my "inactive" balances rescued and transferred?

Thanks for any guidance!

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Is the phone TF-branded or BYOP? Which carries does it use?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It's BYOP iPhone SEs, all around. They were on Verizon TF SIMs.

In case this matters (i.e. I made a mistake), let me elaborate on exactly what changed.

1. Phone number of MEID1 of iPhone1 was ported out. MEID1 became inactivated.
    2. VZ TF SIM of iPhone2 was put into iPhone1 (iPhone1 was in better shape). That is a happy TF phone.
    3. I now have MEID2/iPhone2 with VZ TF SIM 1 of old iPhone1 inserted. I can't activate this combination.
    (3a. I swapped out VZ TF SIM 1 with a spare AT&T BYOP SIM - still says can't activate).

Thanks!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by andrisd View Post
    Our partners are upgrading their network to provide you with the highest quality service. Unfortunately, this phone is not compatible and can't be activated.

Q1: Does this error make sense? Verizon (or AT&T) Tracfone accounts don't accept iPhone SE's anymore?
    That error makes sense IF the iPhone SE (2016) is not VoLTE-capable. I don't know anything about iPhone to say whether or not it is. If it is not VoLTE capable, it was working because Verizon allowed existing non-VoLTE phones to continue to work but they won't allow them to be (re)activated.

I think you weren't able to reactivate iPhone1 because you put the SIM from iPhone2 into it and that messed up the IMEI & SIM pairing. You can't activate iPhone1 with a TF/AT&T SIM either because to reclaim the balance you have to reactivate THE SAME DEVICE, and if you change the SIM from a TF/VZW SIM to a TF/AT&T SIM then TF system doesn't see it as the same device.

That's just my opinion. We'll see if other forum members have a better explanation or suggestion.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone SE, Galaxy a10e
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, Mobi
    Feedback Score
    The SE is VoLTE compatible on ATT, T-Mobile, and Verizon. Likely some other problem with wrong error.
    iPhone 12 Pro is my current primary phone. Now using both eSIM and nano SIM. And also have a Galaxy a10e as a backup travel phone.

Feedback Score
    Verizon takes a dim view of sim-swapping. It may work for a while, but then it causes trouble.

The system knows exactly which sim and phone you are using when you connect with the network. If there is a deviation from the original pairing, Verizon looks for fraud.

I recommend putting the sims back where they belong. Then contact Chat and see if a problem is showing up with the accounts due to mixing the sims. It can cause things to stop.

If those look OK, then it is an issue with Verizon's technical requirements.

The other carriers are also updating their technical requirements.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    The SE is VoLTE compatible on ATT, T-Mobile, and Verizon.
    Are both iPhone SEs (2016 and 2020) VoLTE compatible?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Are both iPhone SEs (2016 and 2020) VoLTE compatible?
    Yes, they both are. A family member had the original and now owns the 2020.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I'm also thinking the phone/SIM swap in the middle of this has caused issues.
    Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to swap back the SIMs (the other SIM is 3 hours drive away).
    I'm thinking of going back to CSR Chat to see if I can get them to update the database/records with the current SIMs in place.

Carrier(s)
    guess
    Feedback Score
    Did you use Imei or meid. Try the opposite of what you used.

Device(s)
    Xperia X, iPhone SE, Zmax 2
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, TracFone (VZ), FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    There is one version of the original iPhone SE (2016 model) not compatible with Verizon, Apple iPhone SE (Global/Sprint/A1723). It's missing band 13. The other version Apple iPhone SE (United States/A1662) works for AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon, but missing band 41 for Sprint.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    Verizon takes a dim view of sim-swapping. It may work for a while, but then it causes trouble.

The system knows exactly which sim and phone you are using when you connect with the network. If there is a deviation from the original pairing, Verizon looks for fraud.

I recommend putting the sims back where they belong. Then contact Chat and see if a problem is showing up with the accounts due to mixing the sims. It can cause things to stop.

If those look OK, then it is an issue with Verizon's technical requirements.

The other carriers are also updating their technical requirements.

@Lisme: Your remark about Verizon's policy on sim-swapping seems to be contradict the advice I got in my recent thread

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...existing-phone

I probably misunderstood your remark and/or the the advice I got earlier, so let me repeat my question here. Apologies in advanced for hijacking a different thread.

What I want to do: Activate a new $39.99 Verizon sim in an old TF-branded phone (phone #1) with no service, and transfer over to (#1) the balance + end date + phone number of an existing Verizon TF-branded phone (phone #2).

I did enter the IMEI of (#1) into

https://www.tracfone.com/keep-your-own-phone

and (#1) seem to pass the test -- it asks me if I want a new number and if I need to buy air time etc. I do have two active TF-branded phones, and when I enter the IMEI of these two active TF into this webpage I got an error message. Does that mean my old TF (#1) can accept the new $39.99 sim? But what about Lisme's remark about Verizon's policy regarding sim-swapping?

Bonus Q: I did intend to eventually take this sim out of the old TF-branded phone and put it into a BYOD phone. Do I need to do anything to "disaccociate" the sim from the old TF-branded phone before I swap the sim?

Many thanks for everyone's help and clarification.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SaOn View Post
    I did enter the IMEI of (#1) into

https://www.tracfone.com/keep-your-own-phone

and (#1) seem to pass the test -- it asks me if I want a new number and if I need to buy air time etc. I do have two active TF-branded phones, and when I enter the IMEI of these two active TF into this webpage I got an error message. Does that mean my old TF (#1) can accept the new $39.99 sim?.
    Here's my 2 cents....When you entered the IMEI of phone #1 (which is an inactive TF-branded phone), the checker didn't come back with a screen saying the phone is compatible (as a BYOP). It simply asked if your want a new number. My take is that it assumes the phone will be (re)activated with that phone's original SIM.

When you entered the IMEIs of the two ACTIVE phones, you got an error because those IMEIs are currently tied to active SIMs, and an IMEI cannot be tied to two different actve SIMs IN TF SYSTEM at the same time.

If what I'm saying is proven to be wrong, I'll stand corrected.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Here's my 2 cents....When you entered the IMEI of phone #1 (which is an inactive TF-branded phone), the checker didn't come back with a screen saying the phone is compatible (as a BYOP). It simply asked if your want a new number. My take is that it assumes the phone will be (re)activated with that phone's original SIM.

When you entered the IMEIs of the two ACTIVE phones, you got an error because those IMEIs are currently tied to active SIMs, and an IMEI cannot be tied to two different actve SIMs IN TF SYSTEM at the same time.

If what I'm saying is proven to be wrong, I'll stand corrected.
    Interesting ideal! That could be possible explanation.

I do have a dead BYOD phone (#3) that had a TF BYOD verizon sim -- no longer active of course. When I entered the IMEI of the deadphone into the compatibility website I got same screen as did with non-active (but working!) TF-branded phone (#1) --- it asked me if I want a new number etc. and didn't say anything it being compatible as BYOD. But again the deadphone had a TF vz BYOD sim so I don't know if that means anything.

I had thought about activating the new BYOD sim in the deadphone (#3), but since it's dead I can't verify that the new sim works so it's probably a bad idea.

Question: What I if go ahead and activate the new BYOD sim in my non-active, working old phone (#1)? What's the worse case scenario --- would I lose my balance+end date+phone number of my current phone? (remember that I want transfer all these from (#2) to (#1))?

THANKS!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SaOn View Post
    Question: What I if go ahead and activate the new BYOD sim in my non-active, working old phone (#1)? What's the worse case scenario --- would I lose my balance+end date+phone number of my current phone? (remember that I want transfer all these from (#2) to (#1))?
    Here's the normal "flow" of activating a TF/VZ BYOP SIM:
    1. Go to TF.com, click on ACTIVATE, select I'm Bringing My Own Phone.
    2. It asks if you have a SIM, enter the BYOP SIM number.
    3. It asks you to enter the IMEI of the phone. If the phone is Compatible, and not already paired with another SIM in TF system, it asks if you want to keep your phone number.
    4a. If you reply YES, then it asks for the number to be transferred from (and no time card is needed).
    4b. If you reply NO, then it asks for your zip code, then proceeds with the activation IF THE SIM IS PRELOADED, else it asks if you have a time card or want to buy one.

In your posts so far in this thread, I didn't see you mention entering the SIM number of your Ebay SIM. Did you enter it at any time during the IMEI check process?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast