Thread: Transferring downloaded off-line maps to new phone ?

Feedback Score

Transferring downloaded off-line maps to new phone ?

Is there a way to transfer downloaded maps that are used with Google maps for directions?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by StymiedToo View Post
    Is there a way to transfer downloaded maps that are used with Google maps for directions?
    They appear to be located in a folder under: /Android/data/com.google.apps.maps

I don't know if copying the folders and files to a different phone would be recognized in GMaps.

It just takes a few minutes to download them on a different phone if you have Wifi.

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    They appear to be located in a folder under: /Android/data/com.google.apps.maps

I don't know if copying the folders and files to a different phone would be recognized in GMaps.
    It might be similar to the HERE app. A full US map is about 5GB in size, and stored in a folder called /Android/data/com.here.app.maps. Whenever I get a new phone, I use my computer and copy that file to the new phone's microSD card. I then run the app on the new phone, set the location of its offline map to the microSD card and the app will find it.

Feedback Score
    On the phone I used File Manager & looked in many Android locations & the closest that made sense was
    Android/data/com.google.android.apps.maps. It contained a Cache folder with a subfolder named diskcachecache with 3 small files, a Testdata folder which had a voice subfolder, and a Files folder which was empty.

I went back & looked but did not find Android/data/com.google.apps.maps. I don't know if it means anything, but every filepath with "google" in the name is followed by "android". IOW data/com.google.android.xxx.

I looked quite a bit in folders other than "Android" but didn't find anything relating to maps. FWIW there is only Internal storage because I do not have an SD card installed.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by StymiedToo View Post
    FWIW there is only Internal storage because I do not have an SD card installed.
    If you don't have an SD card installed, then the only way to copy the folder over to the other phone is to connect the old phone to your computer, copy the folder to the computer, then connect the new phone to the computer and copy the folder over to it. You can also connect both phones to the computer at the same time and copy the folder from one phone to another.

If the folder is small in size, you can try sending the folder over using bluetooth, but it can be real slow. Also, bluetooth doesn't alway let you choose the destination folder.

Feedback Score
    I connected the phone to the PC & it shows up as a portable device but I cannot view anything on it no matter how I try. Even if I found the correct folder or file I'd have no way of copying it.

I can obviously download maps again, but it's difficult to fine tune the boundaries because the maps are so small.

When I activated the new phone, Tracfone said to text WIZARD to 611611 in order to transfer items. But when I looked up WIZARD it said you had to install the app on both phones. I just thought it would be a simple matter of copying a folder but apparently not. Has anyone used the WIZARD?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    After connecting the phone to your PC, you might need to check its USB setting and select Allow File Transfer (or similar wording).

The Transfer Wizard app is on Google Play. Install and run it on both phones. It transfers by categories: call log, text messages, contacts, photos, music, etc. It does not let you select a particular file/folder.