Thread: Will a Tracfone work on Verizon

Carrier(s)
    Pageplus
    Feedback Score

Will a Tracfone work on Verizon

I have a Moto E6 that was activated on Tracfone for few days short of one year. Will it work on Verizon as is, without unlocking it? I want to give it to a friend on Verizon, his Moto G has a badly cracked screen.

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ken1908 View Post
    I have a Moto E6 that was activated on Tracfone for few days short of one year. Will it work on Verizon as is, without unlocking it? I want to give it to a friend on Verizon, his Moto G has a badly cracked screen.
    Although the TF E6 has the bands to work with native Verizon, it might not accept a native Verizon SIM without getting unlocked. The surest way to find out is to take the SIM from your friend's broken phone and put it into your TF E6. If you get a message saying "Invalid SIM" or similar wording, it's a NOGO. If you don't get any error message, and the phone can make/receive calls, it'll work.

Feedback Score
    It wouldn't hurt to try getting Tracfone to unlock it anyway. I unlocked mine a few days short of a year. Otherwise, it is locked to Tracfone and will only work on the Tracfone family of services.

I don't know if Verizon pre or postpaid will take Tracfone IMEIs. You can check the IMEI at:

https://www.verizon.com/bring-your-o...imei-esn-meid/

Even if it passes there it would still need to be unlocked from Tracfone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    It wouldn't hurt to try getting Tracfone to unlock it anyway. I unlocked mine a few days short of a year. Otherwise, it is locked to Tracfone and will only work on the Tracfone family of services.

I don't know if Verizon pre or postpaid will take Tracfone IMEIs. You can check the IMEI at:

I recently checked a Tracfone-branded Moto E5 on the Verizon IMEI check page, and it did clear. Mine is still locked, so it wouldn't actually activate, but it gives me hope for the future.
    My Tello referral code is P3BSR5HV, and gets both of us 10 Tello Dollars to pay for a plan.
    https://tello.com/account/register?_referral=P3BSR5HV

Carrier(s)
    Pageplus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Although the TF E6 has the bands to work with native Verizon, it might not accept a native Verizon SIM without getting unlocked. The surest way to find out is to take the SIM from your friend's broken phone and put it into your TF E6. If you get a message saying "Invalid SIM" or similar wording, it's a NOGO. If you don't get any error message, and the phone can make/receive calls, it'll work.
    Will try swapping sims first and hope that works.

Carrier(s)
    Pageplus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post

Just now found out it can't be unlocked since it's been inactive over 60 days. I rolled it over to a new bundle late January.

Feedback Score
    Just now found out it can't be unlocked since it's been inactive over 60 days. I rolled it over to a new bundle late January.
    I have seen a few reports lately that Tracfone tracks cumulative use across multiple activations. If this is true, and your e6 was active for 11 months (as an example), you might be able to get it unlocked by activating it again, with the original SIM, for the remaining needed month. I'd call the Tracfone Unlocking Department at 1-888-442-5102 and inquire. If they confirm, the safest route might be to add an additional line to your account for the needed period. I've also seen reports that they can tell you the number of days needed to qualify.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Also, inquire if they will immediately unlock the phone if you add the required remaining PAID airtime.

Carrier(s)
    Pageplus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhandle View Post
    I have seen a few reports lately that Tracfone tracks cumulative use across multiple activations. If this is true, and your e6 was active for 11 months (as an example), you might be able to get it unlocked by activating it again, with the original SIM, for the remaining needed month. I'd call the Tracfone Unlocking Department at 1-888-442-5102 and inquire. If they confirm, the safest route might be to add an additional line to your account for the needed period. I've also seen reports that they can tell you the number of days needed to qualify.
    I called the number and got the phone unlocked straightway. Thanks for your help.

Carrier(s)
    Pageplus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Also, inquire if they will immediately unlock the phone if you add the required remaining PAID airtime.
    Didn't need to add any airtime, got it unlocked straightaway.

Feedback Score
    Hate to interject here. But a somewhat similar question. If you transfer an existing TF plan/number with several years left, to the VZW based TF SIM card that came with a TF locked phone, and you wait a year, leaving the plan/number on that SIM. Will that device be eligible for unlock after that year?

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hceuterpe View Post
    If you transfer an existing TF plan/number with several years left, to the VZW based TF SIM card that came with a TF locked phone, and you wait a year, leaving the plan/number on that SIM. Will that device be eligible for unlock after that year?
    No. Transferred buckets/days don't count as PAID service for the purpose of unlocking.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hceuterpe View Post
    Hate to interject here. But a somewhat similar question. If you transfer an existing TF plan/number with several years left, to the VZW based TF SIM card that came with a TF locked phone, and you wait a year, leaving the plan/number on that SIM. Will that device be eligible for unlock after that year?
    You would be transferring the airtime away from the only phone it can count toward unlocking... specifically the phone it was originally added to.