Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Very quick review of Tracfone Samsung Galaxy A51

Device(s)
    Pixel 3 & 3a, iPhone SE (2020)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

Very quick review of Tracfone Samsung Galaxy A51

I bought a Tracfone Samsung Galaxy A51 (S515DL) with a rewards point coupon.

So... my very quick review....

GREAT phone for the money (especially screen) EXCEPT...

1. The under/in-screen fingerprint scanner/reader is the worst I've ever used. It often says there is no match... and when it does work, it's slow. Aggravating. Minus 1 star.

2. Loaded with bloat... especially Samsung junk and some Tracfone junk. You can uninstall some of it but not all of it. Very different experience than Google and Apple phones. Minus 1 star.

So 3 stars out of 5.

Oh, if you want a "medium-bulk" case for the phone, I just got this and I like it:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

I'd say just about everything else is good to great... but did not do much testing of the cameras. I do like that it has an ultra wide-angle camera.
    Tracfone BBB Complaint Response: A Tracfone representative told me that posting a referral code around on Internet forums and social media is a violation of the terms. The referral program is for referring known friends and family.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    The A50 and A51 fingerprint scanner is even worse with a screen protector on the screen. So I hardly use the fingerprint scanner.

I had to disable some of the software via adb because it was bugging me.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE, 6S, Samsung Luna Pro
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I didn't like it much for all above reasons and ended up giving it away.

I was surprised it came with the power button bringing up bixby or whatever they call it. Easy to change but still.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    UPDATE: I would have mentioned in my review above (had I realized at the time) that the mobile data didn't work until I contacted Tracfone. They had to do something on their end before the mobile data on this phone would work... and you have to get a hold of someone who knows how to fix this.

I was reading some of the reviews on Tracfone's site for this phone and some of them mentioned similar issues.

Strange... it is a waste of time to have to deal with this... and I hope the problem does not come back. One review said "my data connection stops every single time I buy data"... so that is concerning.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Well, I think I should drop the rating on this thing to 1 star because my mobile data stopped working AGAIN.

Trying to get online chat support AGAIN.

You may want to avoid this phone if you use mobile data.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    My A51 is always on LTE, and I have not seen the data drop on my A51.

I have seen speeds that is way faster then my home internet connection.

Then again, my home internet is only 12Mbps tho.

Feedback Score
    I had the same problem twice. the fix is in the apn setting. My setting was Tracfone.vzwentp. I switched it to vzwinternet and it started to work right away.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Trashcann View Post
    I had the same problem twice. the fix is in the apn setting. My setting was Tracfone.vzwentp. I switched it to vzwinternet and it started to work right away.
    I was on a call today about it and they asked me what my APN was set to. They said they changed it in their system to match what I had selected on my phone... so it's working again. I asked about it breaking again and they said it shouldn't unless I let me service days expire and then it would reset or something like that.

My phone was showing two options which appeared to be exactly the same... they were both (I think because that phone is in my car right now and not with me) tracfone.vzwentp. Not sure why there were two of the same options. There was no vzwinternet option on my phone.

Feedback Score
    As of 05/15/2021
    H/SN is sold out.
    Q/VC has phone at $304.00.
    Seems to be a popular venue on those web sites.

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Common Sense Al View Post
    I was on a call today about it and they asked me what my APN was set to. They said they changed it in their system to match what I had selected on my phone... so it's working again.

My phone was showing two options which appeared to be exactly the same... they were both (I think because that phone is in my car right now and not with me) tracfone.vzwentp. Not sure why there were two of the same options. There was no vzwinternet option on my phone.
    When I activated my wife's TF-branded A50 last month, the balance was there but it had no data service and no call service either (because calls now use VoLTE). I checked the APN and it was set to tracfone.vzwentp. I changed the APN Name to VZWINTERNET then saved it. After that everything worked.

Feedback Score
    I was on a call today about it and they asked me what my APN was set to. They said they changed it in their system to match what I had selected on my phone... so it's working again. I asked about it breaking again and they said it shouldn't unless I let me service days expire and then it would reset or something like that.

I had to go in and change the APN to vzwinternet myself. The second time it did this was because i mad a call to the automated help service about another unrelated problem and i said that it detected and fixed a problem that it found. They fixed it good. After the fix my data no longer worked. That is when I changed the setting to match my other 2 tracfones.
    There was a certain irony in that the automated help was just as messed up as the live help.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I had to go in and change the APN to vzwinternet myself. The second time it did this was because i mad a call to the automated help service about another unrelated problem and i said that it detected and fixed a problem that it found. They fixed it good. After the fix my data no longer worked. That is when I changed the setting to match my other 2 tracfones.
    There was a certain irony in that the automated help was just as messed up as the live help.
    Thanks. I'll keep this in mind if it happens again. If it does I'll see if there some way I can enter my own APN as vzwinternet.

This seems so stupid to me that it's even an issue. At this point I would think mobile data should just work and they should have gotten all these stupid problems solved.

Feedback Score
    Thanks. I'll keep this in mind if it happens again. If it does I'll see if there some way I can enter my own APN as vzwinternet.

This seems so stupid to me that it's even an issue. At this point I would think mobile data should just work and they should have gotten all these stupid problems solved.
    To do this tap on 1.settings 2.Connections 3.Mobile networks 4.Access point names 5.Tracfone 6.Apn. Then backspace existing APN and enter your new APN.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    To do this tap on 1.settings 2.Connections 3.Mobile networks 4.Access point names 5.Tracfone 6.Apn. Then backspace existing APN and enter your new APN.
    Awesome, thanks.

I just checked and my mobile data is still working on that phone... but this is good info and the first thing I will try if it stops working again.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Well, mobile data stopped working again on my phone so I edited the APN to vzwinternet and it started working... maybe it will keep working this time because the setting was changed on the phone instead of on Tracfone's end (and it looks like something was constantly 'resetting' that setting causing it to stop working after a few days).

Too bad Tracfone support didn't tell me to make this change... they wasted their time and mine on a 'fix' that only lasted a few days.
    Last edited by Common Sense Al; 05-19-2021 at 10:19 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast