Thread: Buying iPhone to use with RedPocket (VZ) sim card - can I buy Verizon or unlocked iPhone?

Carrier(s)
    RedPocket / Verizon
    Feedback Score

Buying iPhone to use with RedPocket (VZ) sim card - can I buy Verizon or unlocked iPhone?

Looking to buy an iPhone 8 Plus to upgrade from a 6 Plus. I have a RedPocket sim card that's on the VZ network.

On Swappa, they have phones listed by carrier (assume this means locked to carrier) as well as unlocked phones. For my use case, I can buy either a Verizon or unlocked iPhone, correct?

Edit: From this page: https://swappa.com/blog/unlocked-iph...ibility-guide/
    looks like I need model A1864 as that's the only model made for VZ. I guess it doesn't matter if it's Verizon locked (as long as ESN is clear) or unlocked?

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work phone / T-Mobile (iPad) / Verizon (personal phone) / Tracfone AT&T MVNO (for fun)!
    Feedback Score
    Yes, the A1864 will activate on any US carrier's network. There should be no fundamental difference between the unlocked ones vs. the ones designated as Verizon. As background, Verizon postpaid phones are only locked for (at most) the first 60 days, so if it's been used on Verizon postpaid for more than the 60-day period, it should be unlocked (which happens automatically between Verizon's and Apple's servers).

Some of the Swappa listings for Verizon say "Verizon/Unlocked", and others don't... If you can find one designated as either A1864 Verizon/Unlocked or A1864 Unlocked, then I'd grab that to be safe.

If you can only find a Verizon A1864 that you like that doesn't also say it's unlocked, ask the seller if they could go into SETTINGS > ABOUT, and then down near the bottom should be "Carrier Lock", and it should say "No SIM Restrictions" (that's an indication it's unlocked). Once unlocked, it won't relock...

You SHOULD be able to use an unlocked A1897 as well. Verizon will set that phone up in their system as CDMA-less device, which is fine since CDMA is disappearing and is rarely used. I can't say with 100% certainty whether the RP IMEI checker will allow one of those devices to pass (despite that Verizon will allow it), hence why I say "should". The other potential downside to the A1897 is that it has the Intel modem (vs. the Qualcomm in the A1864), and some people say the cellular reception in fringe areas is worse with the Intel modem (I've used both and didn't really notice a difference).

Carrier(s)
    RedPocket / Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Awesome, thank you!