Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Perplexing voicemail messages

Feedback Score

Perplexing voicemail messages

I hope someone here can explain what's going on with my Tracfone voicemail messages.

My phone doesn't ring, my call logs don't show any incoming calls, and yet, I get voicemail. How is this even possible?

Thank you for any help anyone can provide in explaining this mystery.

Feedback Score
    First things to check are your "Do Not Disturb" setting, and ringer volume. (Not sure how either of those would mesh with o calls showing in your call log, though.)

Probably a good idea to check your minutes balance, too-- either on the website or by texting BALANCE to 611611.
    My Tello referral code is P3BSR5HV, and gets both of us 10 Tello Dollars to pay for a plan.
    https://tello.com/account/register?_referral=P3BSR5HV

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Your experience is not unique. I've had that situation on my BYOP TF/AT&T phone. For some reason, the call didn't connect to my phone and went straight to voicemail. How is it even possible? It's SIMILAR to when your phone is out of service range or in Airplane mode, and the carrier's network wasn't able to connect to your phone, so the Voicemail system answered the call.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhandle View Post
    First things to check are your "Do Not Disturb" setting, and ringer volume. (Not sure how either of those would mesh with o calls showing in your call log, though.)

Probably a good idea to check your minutes balance, too-- either on the website or by texting BALANCE to 611611.
    No, I don't have do-not-disturb on and my ringer volume is fine. Minutes balance didn't provide any clues, I don't keep perfect tabs on it though, and I check voicemail from a different phone.

Like you wrote, I don't know how the calls don't show up in my call log. That is really weird.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Your experience is not unique. I've had that situation on my BYOP TF/AT&T phone. For some reason, the call didn't connect to my phone and went straight to voicemail. How is it even possible? It's SIMILAR to when your phone is out of service range or in Airplane mode, and the carrier's network wasn't able to connect to your phone, so the Voicemail system answered the call.
    Mine is Tracfone BYOP AT&T too!

This has happened to me more than once. The voicemails have been spam each time.

I do get a lot of spam calls so I have set up digit filters in my call settings. Maybe spammers have a way to bypass the digit filters?

The calls should still show up in the call logs though, right?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jettable View Post
    Mine is Tracfone BYOP AT&T too!

This has happened to me more than once. The voicemails have been spam each time.

I do get a lot of spam calls so I have set up digit filters in my call settings. Maybe spammers have a way to bypass the digit filters?

The calls should still show up in the call logs though, right?
    Your digit filters WERE WORKING correctly by not connecting the calls and let the voicemail system answer them. Those calls will NOT show in your call log.

I have a similar filter that blocks calls without Caller ID, and sometimes I missed calls from Social Security because their calls sometimes don't show a number (so you can't call the agent directly).

Feedback Score
    Your digit filters WERE WORKING correctly by not connecting the calls and let the voicemail system answer them. Those calls will NOT show in your call log.

I have a similar filter that blocks calls without Caller ID, and sometimes I missed calls from Social Security because their calls sometimes don't show a number (so you can't call the agent directly).
    Hmm, the digit filter should be BLOCKING those calls totally, not letting them through to my voicemail! Is there any way to achieve a total block? TIA.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Hmm, the digit filter should be BLOCKING those calls totally, not letting them through to my voicemail! Is there any way to achieve a total block? TIA.
    You'll need to search around for a method/app that will TERMINATE an unwanted call. The methods/apps that I know of will only DEFLECT an unwanted call by not allowing the call to connect with your phone, and the call goes straight to voicemail as if your phone is offline.

You can test different methods/apps by blocking the number of your other phone (if you have one), then call your cell phone from the other phone and see how the call is handled.

Device(s)
    Xperia X, iPhone SE, Zmax 2
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, TracFone (VZ), FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Some providers have a back door number to access the voicemail system without having to call/ring the number.

Example, T-Mobile is 1-805-MESSAGE (1-805-637-7243). You can call that number and access your own voicemail without ringing your phone, or leave a voice mail for someone else without ringing.

Sprint is: (Your Area Code) + Your Prefix + "MAIL" (6245).

https://www.cellularbackdoor.com/voi...ess/vm-2.shtml

Not sure if Tracfone has one, but AT&T seems to.

Feedback Score
    You'll need to search around for a method/app that will TERMINATE an unwanted call. The methods/apps that I know of will only DEFLECT an unwanted call by not allowing the call to connect with your phone, and the call goes straight to voicemail as if your phone is offline.

You can test different methods/apps by blocking the number of your other phone (if you have one), then call your cell phone from the other phone and see how the call is handled.
    You're right, call-blocking should achieve call-termination; the current call-deflection-to-voicemail is pretty useless.

In fact, sending blocked calls to voicemail is worse - if the call rings, I can ignore/silence it; but if the spammer can leave a voicemail, I have to go check that voicemail. Especially since the call doesn't show up in the call logs, I never know if it may be something important so I feel obliged to check the voicemail.

The system seems stacked in favor of spammers! (And stacked against consumers).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slepy View Post
    Some providers have a back door number to access the voicemail system without having to call/ring the number.

Example, T-Mobile is 1-805-MESSAGE (1-805-637-7243). You can call that number and access your own voicemail without ringing your phone, or leave a voice mail for someone else without ringing.

Sprint is: (Your Area Code) + Your Prefix + "MAIL" (6245).

https://www.cellularbackdoor.com/voi...ess/vm-2.shtml

Not sure if Tracfone has one, but AT&T seems to.
    Thanks, that is interesting info.
    Tracfone does have one such number. I don't know if it is Tracfone-specific or AT&T-specific (mine is a Tracfone-AT&T sim). I noticed the number in the notification today when I got another of those spam voicemails.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Especially since the call doesn't show up in the call logs, I never know if it may be something important so I feel obliged to check the voicemail.
    Visual Voice Mail?

It would show the number that left the message. Not sure how that would interact with blocked numbers though.

Feedback Score

Lightbulb What is Ringless Messages?

I also have received these so called "Ringless Messages" ... search on "Ringless Messages" and you will get hundreds of hits with a variety of explnations and companies offering this "service" ...

One partial explanation follows:

What is Ringless Messages? Ringless Messages is an easy to use web-based software for any sales professional. With Ringless Messages you can instantly and easily leave your voice mail without having your recipient's cellphone ring,

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kralcd View Post
    I also have received these so called "Ringless Messages" ... search on "Ringless Messages" and you will get hundreds of hits with a variety of explnations and companies offering this "service" ...,
    I don't doubt there are weird "sales professionals" who prefer to leave voicemail instead of talking to a live potential customer.

But in my case, the no-ring missed calls were definitely from people who needed to talk to me in person: two calls from Social Security office at pre-arranged time, one call from the doctor's office to ask me some questions.

Feedback Score
    I hate spammers on my phone period - But yesterday someone found out how to leave me a message without ringing my number it was a mortgage company or a broker trying to sell me something it sounded pre-recorded. This is a Verizon based iPhone 6s through TF. It was weird. Usually they just dial my number.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast