Thread: Options for large prepaid balance?

Feedback Score

Options for large prepaid balance?

My mom has accumulated a $200 balance on her 10c/min prepaid plan over the years.

The balance expires in a couple of weeks and she no longer wants to keep adding money to the account. She wants to keep the phone number and isn't interested in selling the sim.

Does anyone have any suggestions for alternate ways to use the balance rather than just letting it expire out?

I've found old posts on this topic that suggest converting to a post paid account and applying the balance to that. Has anyone done that recently? And if so, would my mom need to pay anything up front or could we just convert her account, use her prepaid balance to cover a couple of months, and then just cancel the postpaid and port out the number before she has to pay anything?

Thanks in advance for you help!

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone SE, Galaxy a10e
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, Mobi
    Feedback Score
    Planning to move it to Google Voice? Most other places to move it to are probably more expensive than keeping the account active ($8/month average based on $25 every 90 days).
    iPhone 12 Pro is my current primary phone. Now using both eSIM and nano SIM. And also have a Galaxy a10e as a backup travel phone.

Device(s)
    A71 5G, Pixel 3aXL/4a5G, Moto E6/G7 Power/Z3 Play/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    It was a long time ago, but I once had the same issue with a large prepaid (GoPhone) balance. I did not have to pay anything to convert. I converted it to postpaid, and then cancelled (closed) the account. Unlike prepaid, postpaid refunded the remainder of the balance.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Mint, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    I converted my mom's old line to a prepaid monthly plan. Before that, I added $25/90 days just to keep the balance from expiring before I decided what to do with it. Probably not cost effective but at least I don't feel like I lost the balance outright.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the suggestions. Think I'll call the day before her funds expire and try to convert her account to a postpaid account.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Don't forget that if you want to convert to postpaid to go to At&t and no other carrier or the prepaid balance would be lost.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    add $10 and put it on a monthly plan, that'll extend the balance for a year and give her time to use it.

What I would do is add $100 to the account, and convert it to the $300/yr 8GB/mo plan.

That'll set her up for a year of unlimited talk/text/8GB of data for $25/mo
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more “rural” areas)

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone SE, Galaxy a10e
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, Mobi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    add $10 and put it on a monthly plan, that'll extend the balance for a year and give her time to use it.

What I would do is add $100 to the account, and convert it to the $300/yr 8GB/mo plan.

That'll set her up for a year of unlimited talk/text/8GB of data.
    I thought $10 would only extend a month.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Honestly I thought they all extended a year. I only add $50 at a time since that SIM is on the Unlimited Plus $50/mo promo.

I usually just do Target when they have a sale and get $50 for $42.75 and do several months at a time (it's prepaid for ~9mos currently)

I'd still just add $100 to moms account and call to be put on the 8GB/mo yearly plan. It's a good deal.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    It was a long time ago, but I once had the same issue with a large prepaid (GoPhone) balance. I did not have to pay anything to convert. I converted it to postpaid, and then cancelled (closed) the account. Unlike prepaid, postpaid refunded the remainder of the balance.
    If this still works, I'd do this.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.05.22
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 07.04.21

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post

That'll set her up for a year of unlimited talk/text/8GB of data for $25/mo
    Have the rules changed? Is switching from another AT&T Prepaid plan to the $300 AT&T Prepaid plan now allowed? What's the procedure to do that? https://www.att.com/prepaid/multi-month-plans/ still says "Requires new activation." Is there a workaround?

Thanks!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Have the rules changed? Is switching from another AT&T Prepaid plan to the $300 AT&T Prepaid plan now allowed? What's the procedure to do that? https://www.att.com/prepaid/multi-month-plans/ still says "Requires new activation." Is there a workaround?

Thanks!
    Just call and ask i'm sure they'll do it.