Thread: AT&T branded LG V20 apparently can't be unlocked

Carrier(s)
    Black Wireless 3-month eBay promo for $10/mo
    Feedback Score

AT&T branded LG V20 apparently can't be unlocked

Yes I know that this post technically belongs in the Phones and Wearables>LG forum, and the mods are welcome to move it. But as I've noted before, this is the most active forum and the place to be.

I requested and received an unlock code for my AT&T branded LG V20 thinking I could try another network. I put in both at Ting SIM card and a US Mobile (VZW network) SIM card expecting to get a message that the SIM card is invalid or the phone needs to be unlocked or some kind of message. I got nothing; the phone powered up normally but of course I couldn't make or receive calls. The phone recognized the Ting SIM card and showed Ting in the upper left-hand corner. With the US Mobile SIM card, which is active with a balance, I could go into phone information and the number of the SIM card showed. So the phone recognized the other network SIM cards, but it didn't give me an unlock message.

However with the LG you can get the unlock prompt by pressing 2945#*model number# which I did and got:

Name:  V20A (2).jpg
Views: 114
Size:  26.2 KB

So far so good. But regardless of which of those options I choose, I get:

Name:  IMG_6647.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  16.0 KB

Now there is probably a way to pay somebody somewhere to hack into the guts and force an unlock, but it's not that important to me. I'm content using Truphone since most of my calls are incoming (i.e. free) anyway. I was just thinking I might want to try another MVNO to see if I have better coverage with T-Mobile or VZW.

Anyway, is it the case with all AT&T branded LG phones that they can't be unlocked, at least by the normal methods?

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work phone / T-Mobile (iPad) / Verizon (personal phone) / Tracfone AT&T MVNO (for fun)!
    Feedback Score
    That is only supposed to happen if someone entered an incorrect unlock code too many times. This is a security deterrent that is designed to prevent someone from (manually or via some computer program) running through all of the unlock codes until they find the right one. If you've owned the phone since new (and got it from AT&T), have them deal with it (even if you're not a customer any longer). If you're not the original owner, then it's possible someone tried some bad codes at some point and permanently locked the device...

Device(s)
    iPhone, OnePlus 8, iPhone 7 Plus (Car phone)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile PostPaid
    Feedback Score
    Did you buy the phone brand new directly from att or second hand/used? If the latter you probably got a franken phone

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T XS Silver 256GB. T-Mobile / MetroPCS
    Android device : Galaxy S9 RedPocket Verizon

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    This phone was given to me by my son when he upgraded. He normally buys refurbished phones on eBay, so maybe that's why. He has no reason to attempt to unlock it, so it must be a "franken phone". Well, it still works fine so I'll continue using Truphone or maybe another AT&T MVNO. Thanks for the explanation.

Device(s)
    A71 5G, Pixel 3aXL/4a5G, Moto E6/G7 Power/Z3 Play/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    If the phone is locked to AT&T, I don't see how you can be using it with Truphone. Truphone may run on AT&T, but it is actually a UK carrier SIM.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    If the phone is locked to AT&T, I don't see how you can be using it with Truphone. Truphone may run on AT&T, but it is actually a UK carrier SIM.
    Would the fact that I'm using the Truphone number as a Google Voice forwarding number make any difference? Regardless, I'm receiving calls on my Truphone number.

Feedback Score
    it is quite possible if the phone had been unlocked via unofficial method that the firmware may still think the phone is locked. i have often seen this with sprint or t-mobile phones unlocked with software or unlocking boxes that the built in apps still indicate a locked handset.

i am pretty sure truphone would not work if the handset is still locked to at&t