Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: TextNow Stand-Alone Free Plan Network Change

Feedback Score

TextNow Stand-Alone Free Plan Network Change

I received a notification in my TextNow app today about switching networks for their stand-alone product.

It shows:

$9.99
    $4.99
    SIM Card

Your early access to better, faster LTE is here.

Get your SIM Card today for free unlimited talk and text on our faster LTE network.

Order SIM Card

Feedback Score
    I posted a problem I have with TextNow, and indeed had again today: phone shows LTE with good signal strength, yet phone calls do not go through. I hope this solves the problem. Thank you for posting.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by energyx View Post
    Thanks for posting the link.

How much is the least expensive plan with the SIM in a compatible phone?

Device(s)
    Nexus 5, Nexus 6P, Boost Mobile ZTE Speed, Moto G5 Plus, Moto X4, Moto G Stylus(2020)
    Carrier(s)
    SafeLink(T-Mobile), FreedomPop(AT&T), Google Fi(T-Mobile)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mcd320 View Post
    How much is the least expensive plan with the SIM in a compatible phone?
    Zero or free, you only pay for the SIM and nothing else.

Device(s)
    s21U, Note20U, s20fe, Pixel4XL, Atom, MoFi, i8(work), etc
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, Google Fi, Xfinity Mobile, Tmo, RP/att, Tello/Tmo, Tru, eKit
    Feedback Score
    I see my number is gone and my plan is now wifi only. Decent numbers now cost $5 a year. Never got any emails either. Nice communications. You get what you (don't) pay for!
    --
    CellGuru

Feedback Score
    I haven't received a notice either. I've been using TextNow for about 8 months.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmarkson View Post
    I see my number is gone and my plan is now wifi only. Decent numbers now cost $5 a year. Never got any emails either. Nice communications. You get what you (don't) pay for!
    I don't know how this kind of stuff happens. It's definitely random, but it's not good for TextNow's reputation.

My wife and I have used the TextNow app (with our own data, i.e. not using a TextNow SIM card) since 2018, and we've never had any problem. TextNow has always worked for us, and we've never lost our phone #s. There have been a couple of times since 2018 where we get a message to use our TextNow # to keep it active, and we do, and it has remained active.

I feel like I'd like to create a new TextNow account / phone # and purchase a T-Mo based TextNow SIM card while it's $4.99, just to test the TextNow stand-alone service for myself. But I have lots of good intentions to do stuff like this, and it doesn't always happen...sigh...

Feedback Score
    i have a few textnow accounts, at least one i barely ever use at all and have not lost the number. i have other that it seems the numbers are reclaimed in less than a week. i suspect it may have some relationship to the area code(and maybe prefix) of the number. seems if i select a number in the old area code of the city i am in most times no number are available but if one is it is quickly re-claimed from lack of usage. if i pick a number in the less desired newer area code the number does nto seem to get reclaimed and number are always available for selection.

i suspect they reclaim numbera in areas codes(possibly prefixes) in which they have run out of numbers to issue and lets you keep them otherwise.

for my usage its not a big deal none of my textnow numbers are number i share for people to call me back or message me.

Device(s)
    s21U, Note20U, s20fe, Pixel4XL, Atom, MoFi, i8(work), etc
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, Google Fi, Xfinity Mobile, Tmo, RP/att, Tello/Tmo, Tru, eKit
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyrobby View Post
    i suspect they reclaim numbera in areas codes(possibly prefixes) in which they have run out of numbers to issue and lets you keep them otherwise.
    My number ended in 00 which is now considered a premium number, which is why I suspect I lost the number. That happened with another of these ad-supported services. I snagged a 212 area code and it was gone in a matter of days!

No biggie, I only use these things for experimenting.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5, Nexus 6P, Boost Mobile ZTE Speed, Moto G5 Plus, Moto X4, Moto G Stylus(2020)
    Carrier(s)
    SafeLink(T-Mobile), FreedomPop(AT&T), Google Fi(T-Mobile)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyrobby View Post
    i have a few textnow accounts, at least one i barely ever use at all and have not lost the number. i have other that it seems the numbers are reclaimed in less than a week. i suspect it may have some relationship to the area code(and maybe prefix) of the number. seems if i select a number in the old area code of the city i am in most times no number are available but if one is it is quickly re-claimed from lack of usage. if i pick a number in the less desired newer area code the number does nto seem to get reclaimed and number are always available for selection.

Quote Originally Posted by dmarkson View Post
    My number ended in 00 which is now considered a premium number, which is why I suspect I lost the number. That happened with another of these ad-supported services. I snagged a 212 area code and it was gone in a matter of days!
    I fully agree with herein above statements. As always with TextNow, there is no recourse in this kind of situation. If one looks up their support forum, this is the majority of posts. To sum up, free service is only available or can be kept when TextNow cannot sell it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by energyx View Post
    Thanks for the link. Curious how you found it? The web-site still appears to be very Sprint oriented with the SIM costing $9.99, whereas your sim clearly mentions it's a GSM SIM so presumably away from the "old" Sprint and on to T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by russsell View Post
    Thanks for the link. Curious how you found it? The web-site still appears to be very Sprint oriented with the SIM costing $9.99, whereas your sim clearly mentions it's a GSM SIM so presumably away from the "old" Sprint and on to T-Mobile.
    I went to the app like mentioned here and it sends you to a web site on the phone.

Feedback Score
    Got my SIM today in the mail, tried swapping devices using the My Account section on the app but I get an unknown error. Guess I'll have to chat later.

Update: Chat will have to cancel your current Sprint-based plan so you can activate the new SIM. Same number, but make sure to set any APN to textnow.static. I was able to re-use the Sprint 5S I have, it accepted the SIM and actually has a decent LTE signal.
    Last edited by energyx; 05-20-2021 at 12:19 PM.

Feedback Score
    And, all works fine using the cell signal and mobile data with the new sim? Btw, do you have the free plan? If yes, could you make calls previously when not on wifi? And, how long did it take from order to arrival?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast