Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Results 61 to 73 of 73

Thread: TextNow Stand-Alone Free Plan Network Change

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    480
    Feedback Score
    0
    So there's some way for a provider to recognize that a message being sent contains a verification code?

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    14,582
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by russsell View Post
    So there's some way for a provider to recognize that a message being sent contains a verification code?
    All I can say is, I guess so, since the reports are that TextNow sends you a message if you try to receive a verification code without having purchased Number Lock In, telling you that it's needed to receive the verification code on your TextNow #.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    456
    Feedback Score
    0
    I think the primary way to block verification codes is to block incoming texts from short codes.
    My Tello referral code is P3BSR5HV, and gets both of us 10 Tello Dollars to pay for a plan.
    https://tello.com/account/register?_referral=P3BSR5HV

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    480
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    All I can say is, I guess so, since the reports are that TextNow sends you a message if you try to receive a verification code without having purchased Number Lock In, telling you that it's needed to receive the verification code on your TextNow #.
    Thanks for that feedback, which explains how you know it.

    Quote Originally Posted by greenhandle View Post
    I think the primary way to block verification codes is to block incoming texts from short codes.
    Good point. Would make implementation trivial, I assume.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    73
    Feedback Score
    0
    What is a "verification code"?

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    14,582
    Feedback Score
    0

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    73
    Feedback Score
    0
    Aha, two factor verification. Got it. And TextNow blocks them?
    One problem I have is that if I enter my TextNow or, for that matter, H2O, number for verification, since it's not registered in my name, it gets rejected.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    606
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhandle View Post
    I think the primary way to block verification codes is to block incoming texts from short codes.
    Not exactly correct. Today most of verification codes are coming from regular numbers (not short numbers),

    Google, Whatsapp, Telegram and Signal verification codes are coming from regular numbers

    The main reason for $5 fee is to prevent spammers to use TextNow numbers as burner numbers used to register new accounts.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    14,582
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by carlbarry View Post
    Aha, two factor verification. Got it. And TextNow blocks them?
    One problem I have is that if I enter my TextNow or, for that matter, H2O, number for verification, since it's not registered in my name, it gets rejected.
    Yes. I posted my theory above. https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...2#post17179142 is the link if you didn't read the thread.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    500
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    All I can say is, I guess so, since the reports are that TextNow sends you a message if you try to receive a verification code without having purchased Number Lock In, telling you that it's needed to receive the verification code on your TextNow #.
    Do you remember some of the names of those companies whose verification codes were blocked?

    I havenít received any message yet from TextNow similar to what you wrote above. I do use my TNow number as a GV forwarding number. Donít know if that makes any difference.

    Thereís only 1 (maybe 2) business I use TNow directly for verification only bc they donít accept GV.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    14,582
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Maru View Post
    Do you remember some of the names of those companies whose verification codes were blocked?

    I havenít received any message yet from TextNow similar to what you wrote above. I do use my TNow number as a GV forwarding number. Donít know if that makes any difference.

    Thereís only 1 (maybe 2) business I use TNow directly for verification only bc they donít accept GV.
    I use TextNow to have a Canadian phone #, so I don't have direct experience with TextNow for 2FA verification in the US. I'm basing my comments on my GV # experience for 2FA. I'm surprised that you have some 2FA work with your TextNow # that DON'T work with your GV #, since they are both VoIP #s.

    Are you saying you're still able to receive 2FA verification texts on your TextNow # without getting a message saying you need to sign up for Number Lock In?

    Do you use TextNow with their SIM card, or have any paid service from TextNow?

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    500
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I use TextNow to have a Canadian phone #, so I don't have direct experience with TextNow for 2FA verification in the US. I'm basing my comments on my GV # experience for 2FA. I'm surprised that you have some 2FA work with your TextNow # that DON'T work with your GV #, since they are both VoIP #s.

    Are you saying you're still able to receive 2FA verification texts on your TextNow # without getting a message saying you need to sign up for Number Lock In?

    Do you use TextNow with their SIM card, or have any paid service from TextNow?
    I do sometimes see the Number lock in invite pop up when I open the app but itís just like any other pop up ads, I can tap X to make it go away. Iíve noticed some of the ads are getting longer (e.g., 12 s before the X shows up).

    Iíve verified that the verification codes I saw in the GV app (within the last 2 months) also showed up in the TextNow app including codes from the IRS and SoFi.

    Yes, there are some services which work with TextNow but not with Gv. PNC canít verify GV but can TNow. I can use Gv to verify Uber but not to get rides. I can use TNow to both verify and get rides on Uber. I tested Chase quite some time before - canít send codes to GV but can on TNow. I havenít tested chase with TN or GV within this year.

    I donít have a paid TextNow account. I have the TN app using the same TN account in 2 iPhones. One phone uses uses data from Wi-Fi or FPop. The other fone has a Sprint SIM card so the TN app can use the TNow LTE connection.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    456
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post
    Not exactly correct. Today most of verification codes are coming from regular numbers (not short numbers),

    Google, Whatsapp, Telegram and Signal verification codes are coming from regular numbers

    ...
    Of that group, I only use Google-- but all verification codes I've received from Google over the last year have been from short numbers. As have all other verification codes I've been able to spot in my phone history except one. But, I'm also a light user.
    I'll observe that blocking texts from shortcodes generically would cause other problems: I get reminders/notifications from businesses that are from shortcodes, but are not verification codes.

    There are 3 other methods I can think of: blacklisting known numbers used for such purposes: verification code texts include some identifier that we're not aware of, but a provider is: or scanning the actual body of the text with a simple AI (perhaps the most likely).

    Somewhere, sometime in the last couple of years, somebody did some testing on that latter possibility. It was really interesting, but I don't remember the location of the discussion, or whether it was in reference to TextNow or a different provider. I don't have a TextNow line, but perhaps someone who does would be inclined to repeat the experiment.
    As I remember, the outcome was that there apparently was text body scanning: the word "code" & a random string of digits/letters in the text body would cause a failure to deliver, even sent from a personal phone # to the line being tested. This should be possible, since all texts go through TextNow servers.

    Even scanning with AI could cause some unintended failures: my history shows a Home Depot text (from a short code) that includes both the word "code" and a random digit string: it's not a verification code, but a pickup locker access code.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Similar Threads

  1. $34.99 Stand Alone Data Plan
    By kian921 in forum Windows Mobile (Before 7)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-11-2007, 02:41 AM
  2. stand alone sms plan available?
    By mfong410 in forum AT&T
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-03-2007, 07:11 PM
  3. No Stand Alone Data Plan for Hiptop?
    By E*Master in forum Fido
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-08-2004, 07:38 PM
  4. Losing free CSD if changing to new plan??
    By jyalexop2003 in forum AT&T
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-07-2004, 12:59 AM
  5. Worry Free Plan Change
    By tcwatkins in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-29-2003, 09:21 PM

Bookmarks