Thread: Tracfone Rewards now or later?

Feedback Score

Tracfone Rewards now or later?

So, I was really late to the Tracfone Rewards game, and missed out on the double dipping referrals on the web and the apps or the 10,000 bonus new line activation during the holidays last year.

My situation is that I'm in an area where Verizon and AT&T works pretty well for coverage and speeds and T-Mobile really doesn't work 10 minutes from the city. I'm trying out T-Mobile from Tello with a 6-month promo which ends in December with some stretching, but I want to eventually move into a Tracfone with either AT&T or Verizon (because the frugality of buying what you need and unlimited rollover appeals to my heart than gobs of disposable data every month which I might not use). Verizon is less appealing because of the wholesale pretty horrible deprioritisation. De-prioritised AT&T is still pretty usable.

I have a dual-SIM phone, so my options are two -
    1. Keep on using Tello with the primary number and get Tracfone service after things expire around November-ish, when Tracfone annual 1500 minutes/texts and 3 GB data is potentially discounted to $20 again on eBay.
    2. Get a Tracfone line with 7000 referral points and the $50 one year service with 3GB data from eBay - move my primary number to it, and use the Tello line for data till it expires.

The first one is the sane option for frugality, but the second option appeals to me because I'm not sure if, come November, they are going to downsize/change the rewards and referrals won't get me that much points. Free $70 is a good incentive.

Also complicating things is the possibility that there might be the 10k new line promo again, and possibly the chance of double-dipping 7k (referral) + 10k (new line) = 17k points.

I already have a 5 year old Tracfone account, but I have never enrolled it in the Rewards program.

What are your thoughts? Should I get the $50 eBay annual plan to not let potentially $70 worth of referral points get away?

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellimist View Post
    Also complicating things is the possibility that there might be the 10k new line promo again, and possibly the chance of double-dipping 7k (referral) + 10k (new line) = 17k points.
    I wouldn't put much weight on the chance that one can double-dip again, or the bonus 10K points for a new line coming back.

Feedback Score
    I agree with hpham that for a little while Tracfone was giving away points like candy. I don't see that returning. New loopholes might appear but doubt the old ones will return. But just my opinion, no crystal ball

Feedback Score
    I too prefer to pay for what I need, but that aspect could change if Verizon is allowed to buy Tracfone; Verizon could move to monthly unlimited plans, and likely will phase out ATT and TMO service, we just don't know yet. But that's no reason not to get free points while you can.

You say you have an old Tracfone account not yet signed up for rewards. If you still have an active phone in that account, you could sign up for rewards and enter a referral code (IN THE APP!!!) to get 8000 rewards points after 60 days. I'll PM you my code.

Adding a second line to the account from an eBay ATT SIM+airtime should gain you an additional 7000 points after 60 days (both lines must still be active at 60 days). Don't know whether dual-SIM would be a problem, but I don't see why it should be.

Timing of purchase of the eBay package is up to you, but I wouldn't assume we'll see $20 again. And if the Verizon sale goes through, the ATT package (which I assume you'd need for your dual-SIM phone) may not even be available; they've stated their intention to move everyone to Verizon.

One scenario is to join rewards with a referral code for 8000 points, buy and add an ATT line for 7000 points, then when the points mature buy a DL-suffix phone with rewards points. DL phones can be used on the Verizon, ATT, or TMO sides of TF. This would be insurance if/when they force everyone to migrate, since I assume your dual-SIM phone is GSM-only.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    At the moment I cannot recall Tracfone replaying anything really special again later.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sasailor View Post
    DL phones can be used on the Verizon, ATT, or TMO sides of TF.
    I have a DL suffixed phone model. What exactly does DL stand for? Presumably the functionality it provides, in terms of carrier support, is as described above.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    The three DL models I have owned all self-adjust for the current inserted active At&T or Verizon SIM. This was before Verizon recently became picky about moving their SIM. DL may stand for Dual carrier LTE.

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by russsell View Post
    I have a DL suffixed phone model. What exactly does DL stand for? Presumably the functionality it provides, in terms of carrier support, is as described above.
    For old TF-branded non-smartphones, models ending with "G" use GSM technology (AT&T, T-mo), and models ending with "C" use CDMA technology (Verizon).

TF-branded smartphones used to have "AL" for AT&T LTE, "VL" for Verizon LTE, "BL" for T-mobile LTE. The "DL" models can be used with all of those carriers, colloquially we call them "Dual LTE" for supporting both CDMA and GSM. Techinically, nowadays they all use VoLTE (on different bands).

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys for explaining what DL stands for!

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the responses, guys. I ended up getting a plan with Tracfone with sasailor's referral code.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3 & 3a, iPhone SE (2020)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Also, watch you points and take screenshots... Tracfone may take them away at any time without giving any justification or they might just "disappear".

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...ewards-program
    Tracfone BBB Complaint Response: A Tracfone representative told me that posting a referral code around on Internet forums and social media is a violation of the terms. The referral program is for referring known friends and family.

Feedback Score
    Same with airtime.