Thread: How to Activate iPhone 30-day plan?

Feedback Score

How to Activate iPhone 30-day plan?

Currently I am on an Android with talk/text/data bucket plan with service days. The new iPhone I bought from Tracfone required me to bundle it with a 30 day "unlimited" plan, but once those 30 days are up I want to revert to my traditional "talk/text/data buckets" plan.

Is using online chat the best way to activate the new phone/plan and prevent my existing buckets from being lost? And should I ask the agent for an "Activation", "Upgrade", or something else?
    Last edited by phonetower135; 05-19-2021 at 02:10 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    The unlimited plan is set to be added active when the SIM is activated. I would activate the new phone with a new phone number and use it for the month and let it de-activate. Then Activate it with a transfer of service from the old phone. Yes, both phones will be active for the month.
    This is Tracfone... I wouldn`t allow them to combine two types of airtime upon activation and expect it to always go smoothly. Chances are you will now hear from others who have chanced this. Their experiences may provide good advice on how to proceed.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Tracfone now bundles the airtime on the SIM card. It will be the active airtime of the two on the phone. In a month you will learn if anything went wrong.
    Wait for those who have done this to relay their experiences and suggestions on how to proceed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by phonetower135 View Post
    Currently I am on an Android with talk/text/data bucket plan with service days. The new iPhone I bought from Tracfone required me to bundle it with a 30 day "unlimited" plan, but once those 30 days are up I want to revert to my traditional "talk/text/data buckets" plan.

Is using online chat the best way to activate the new phone/plan and prevent my existing buckets from being lost? And should I ask the agent for an "Activation", "Upgrade", or something else?
    I have had terrible experience(s) with Tracfone Chat recently, in my attempt to get something done, that by all accounts here, should be very easy for chat reps to do. But the reps I have encountered have been very incompetent and/or Tracfone's systems are falling apart.

So my advice - do whatever involves the LEAST amount of interaction with Tracfone. That is the safest.

Feedback Score
    In theory, you should be able to activate the SE by transferring your current number to that phone. What 'should' happen is that iPhone will use the included Unlimited plan for the first 30 days, and then revert to the buckets you had previously if you don't add another Unlimited Refill.

From user reports, you online dashboard should continue to display the old units and service days, I think indicated as "Other Plan", or something similar. Your service expiration date will extend by 30 days when the Unlimited Plan is activated, since you'll be using the 30 days from the Unlimited plan first.

Tracfancier's suggestion might be the safest, but still has the same (likely small) risk of something going wrong when you do transfer your number to the iPhone after wasting the 30-day unlimited plan, and you have to wait to enjoy your new phone.
    I understand sillyette's thought, too! Just about a year ago I had a bad interaction with Customer Service that took me 30 days, and a lot of effort, to get straightened out.

I agree that the 'least complicated' path is the safest one to take with Tracfone! In this case, actually getting some use from the bundled 30-day Unlimited plan should be minimal additional risk over any other route.

But... some users have also reported that this didn't work as smoothly as hoped. Sometimes the old units and service days don't display in the online account, and even more rarely they get lost from the system.

The safest way to do this is via online Chat. Have the service agent read out your existing buckets and service days (which they will probably refer to as 'benefits'), before transferring to the iPhone. Ask for a ticket # before the Chat ends, and use the envelope icon at the top of the chat window to email yourself a copy of the Chat transcript. If things don't work as they should, that Chat transcript will be your proof of what should have transferred to the new phone, and it will help get it straightened out in another Chat session.
    My Tello referral code is P3BSR5HV, and gets both of us 10 Tello Dollars to pay for a plan.
    https://tello.com/account/register?_referral=P3BSR5HV