Thread: Old phones with Sprint, do we need to get different ones this time with T-Mobile?

Feedback Score

Old phones with Sprint, do we need to get different ones this time with T-Mobile?

My wife are with Sprint and once our phones start "showing their age" we have always just jumped on Swappa or something and bought a lightly used option. We both currently have the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge and both are in need of upgrading. Well now it appears T-Mobile has sort of taken over Sprint so my first question is instead of searching for a "Sprint" phone should I be looking for a T-Mobile one or does it even matter? Should we make some sort of official "conversion" with our phone number and account to T-Mobile at this point? With our phones being at least 5 years old are there any new features or developments I want to make sure our new phones have? I guess ideally we would look at models that support 5G as it is prevalent in our city but it is not a deal breaker. FYI we are big fans of Samsung Android phones and I am sure we will go with them again.

TIA

Device(s)
    OnePlus 8T, Apple iPad Air 4th Gen (WiFi), Apple iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon Prepaid, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score

Old phones with Sprint, do we need to get different ones this time with T-Mobile?

You don’t need to Migrate to Magenta (official conversion to T-Mobile billing) yet. They still provide Sprint UICCs and there is an option to move to a T-Mobile SIM, but that is only for some compatible devices which yours won’t be.

Since you are considering 5G phones, there are some reasonable trade in options such as a trade in for a “free” Galaxy A32 with any working cell phone (it’s paid for with bill credits).

As for other phones, a Sprint-branded phone from the last couple years should be good as long as it has bands 2, 12, 71 and band 66 (the major T-Mobile bands). It will definitely need to support VoLTE as the network is being transitioned to T-Mobile.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    You don’t need to Migrate to Magenta (official conversion to T-Mobile billing) yet. They still provide Sprint UICCs and there is an option to move to a T-Mobile SIM, but that is only for some compatible devices which yours won’t be.

Since you are considering 5G phones, there are some reasonable trade in options such as a trade in for a “free” Galaxy A32 with any working cell phone (it’s paid for with bill credits).

As for other phones, a Sprint-branded phone from the last couple years should be good as long as it has bands 2, 12, 71 and band 66 (the major T-Mobile bands). It will definitely need to support VoLTE as the network is being transitioned to T-Mobile.

Yeah but being in a position of no strings being attached to us currently if it is all moving to T-Mobile would it be wise to just make the jump now? If so what does that look like? I assume if I bought 2 T-Mobile phones and went into a T-Mobile phone store I would also have to pick a T-Mobile plan and lose the Spring plan I like, correct?

Device(s)
    OnePlus 8T, Apple iPad Air 4th Gen (WiFi), Apple iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon Prepaid, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by pconyers View Post
    Yeah but being in a position of no strings being attached to us currently if it is all moving to T-Mobile would it be wise to just make the jump now? If so what does that look like? I assume if I bought 2 T-Mobile phones and went into a T-Mobile phone store I would also have to pick a T-Mobile plan and lose the Spring plan I like, correct?
    Migrating means giving up your old plan and into a current T-Mobile plan and bill. Depending on how much your current Sprint plan is, it might not be worth moving. Essentials (the minimum plan) is $90/month for two lines and it goes up from there.

You also have to consider your coverage in general. Even though the networks are being merged, most Sprint coverage (that doesn’t overlap) won’t be truly applicable to T-Mobile customers until next year. This means it may not be as good as Sprint’s coverage now. There is also a plus to buying a 5G phone now and using a Sprint UICC, it gets both networks available with T-Mobile's as priority.
    You also lose all Sprint roaming partners by moving completely to T-Mobile, which IMO is big since many have better roaming terms than T-Mobile has with certain partners (US Cellular and AT&T for example).

If you want a no-strings attached means to try out the coverage, you could go buy a prepaid T-Mobile, Tracfone, or Simple Mobile SIM with a T-Mobile phone and use it for a month to see how you like it.
    (ADDENDUM to my previous post, regardless of route you take, the phones you buy must support VoLTE. T-Mobile no longer activates phones that don’t support it on either network).

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT and T
    Feedback Score

Even with a new 5G phone, I recommend that you retain the legacy Sprint plan as it will be grandfathered or migrated to an equivalent plan that reasonably matches to T-Mo plans.

When buying or switching to a new / different, do not let the Sprint rep try to sell, upgrade, or otherwise modify your plan.

It took me three weeks and multiple escalations to get back my Freedom Unlimited everything with 60 GB hotspot.

[CORRECTION: Deleted reference to new Sprint phone shipping with TNX. It comes with Sprint SIM initially].

My rural experience where I live is that Sprint data is faster than T-Mo which can be extremely limited with TNX. However, phone calls are much better in terms of connectivity than Sprint with TNX.

Either way, it can be a bit of a crapshoot until T-Mo gets it all sorted out. Porting out of Sprint to a T-Mo customer is not a great idea if you love your current plan. As others have said or alluded to, your Sprint plan will be gone.

Whatever you do, take a screen shot of your current plan, including features. Once you have upgraded your phone and activated the [new] SIM, log onto Sprint to verify that your existing plan is still in place. If it is not, call Sprint support and escalate to Account Services (third level) to restore it. Do not let the clock pass midnight.

If any rep tells you that your old Sprint plan was “sales expired”, that is the key phrase that you must go right to Account Services.

I had six lines affected by simply adding a new promotional phone.

It should work out fine. Trust, but verify and verify again before midnight.
    Last edited by gdrenick74; 05-20-2021 at 12:49 PM.

Feedback Score
    I assume if I bought 2 T-Mobile phones and went into a T-Mobile phone store I would also have to pick a T-Mobile plan and lose the Spring plan I like, correct?
    You don't have to lose the Sprint plan that you like. With the T-Mobile Network Experience you get a new phone, new SIM, you'll be on the T-Mobile network, but you will retain the plan you like:

Eligible Sprint customers can now take advantage of the full T-Mobile network with a simple SIM swap. Your Sprint account remains the same, with the same price, plan and billing experience, but now you’ll access the T-Mobile network as your primary network.

With the T-Mobile Network Experience:

Your device will show the T-Mobile network and you’ll get the full T-Mobile Network experience.
    You’ll get access to T-Mobile’s free Scam Shield app, with exciting services like free Scam ID, Scam Block, and free Caller ID!
    You even keep your current plan and billing through Sprint!

https://www.sprint.com/en/support/so...xperience.html

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT and T
    Feedback Score

@jet1000 is correct. I corrected my post 5 above. My last two devices came with Sprint SIMs. I then switched them to TNX.

If you request and switch to TNX, TNX SIM will not use the Sprint network. T-Mo references T-Mo will be the primary network.

However, Sprint’s second level techs verified that TNX will not use the two closer Sprint towers in my case regardless whether roaming on or off.

Just keep the Sprint SIM if it works for you.

Device(s)
    Flip phone, Samsung J3 on Tello
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, H2O, Page Plus, Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    If your phone has been unlocked here's a cheap way to find out if your phone will work on Tmobile:
    Go to Tello's website, enter your IMEI. If it takes it, they will send you a SIM free when you pay them $6 for one month of service and get a second month free.
    If you decide to do that, let me know and I can give you a code that gets you $10 credit to use 2 months later. T-mobile's website will tell you if your phone will work also.
    If no go, try Page Plus IMEI checker to see if it will work on Verizon.

I have several Sprint phones left over also. One is in use as a Roku remote, another is a news reader and then one to load all those apps everyplace you buy something wants you to download. I don't know if Android 6 or lower is secure enough for banking. Install Google Voice, Textnow, GrooveIP or any VOIP app and use it for a house phone connected to your router. And you can call 911 on it. (for now)
    Last edited by dfriz; 05-20-2021 at 01:50 PM.

Feedback Score
    My wife are with Sprint and once our phones start "showing their age" we have always just jumped on Swappa or something and bought a lightly used option. We both currently have the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge and both are in need of upgrading. Well now it appears T-Mobile has sort of taken over Sprint so my first question is instead of searching for a "Sprint" phone should I be looking for a T-Mobile one or does it even matter? Should we make some sort of official "conversion" with our phone number and account to T-Mobile at this point? With our phones being at least 5 years old are there any new features or developments I want to make sure our new phones have? I guess ideally we would look at models that support 5G as it is prevalent in our city but it is not a deal breaker. FYI we are big fans of Samsung Android phones and I am sure we will go with them again.

TIA
    If you can wait until later this year T-Mo will be giving free phones to Sprint subscribers who need one due to shutting down Sprint CDMA voice. The phones will likely be 5G, like the Samsung A32 they are giving T-Mo subscribers with a trade in of an old phone. This was mentioned in the 1Q21 earnings call.

The catch likely will be that you have to stay with Sprint/T-Mo service for two years for the phone to be free without a early termination payment.

Next year you can probably expect a transition from Sprint to T-Mo.

[Edit] I like the fingerprint sensor to unlock the phone and login some apps a lot as a feature in newer phones.
    Last edited by bobdevnul; 05-20-2021 at 01:22 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dfriz View Post
    ...and then one to load all those apps everyplace you buy something wants you to download. I don't know if Android 6 or lower is secure enough for banking. Install Google Voice, Textnow, GrooveIP or any VOIP app and use it for a house phone connected to your router.
    Yeah, every business I deal with wanting me to have their app is getting really annoying. I expect it will get to the point that they will make it required to get sale prices or have full service. They have already done that in some cases. I don't want banking/financial apps on my phone. That is an enormous unacceptable risk.

Good tip to dedicate an otherwise retired phone for all of those store apps. I will be doing that.

That said, I actually like the Walmart app. It will give me the location of things I am looking for in the store and do price checks. Very handy.

Otherwise, I do many of the same things as you with old phones around the house. I have a really pathetic cheap old Alcatel in the bathroom to time brushing my teeth.

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I think Tmobile has the S32A for free trade in. But that is with credit against the device as long as you keep service

Sent from my IN2017 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.