Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Moto phones and Google Pay (Tracfone)

Feedback Score

Moto phones and Google Pay (Tracfone)

Read a news article today saying that Google Pay was finally coming to Android. Then read the caveat, "Won't work on Motorola phones". I did a bit of research, and found out that any Moto G phone in the American market won't support it.

I really love my Moto G6, but would love to try Google Pay. Does anyone know of a Tracfone branded Moto that supports it? Not a must have, but would make my life easier.

Thanks much.

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bbryant59 View Post
    Read a news article today saying that Google Pay was finally coming to Android. Then read the caveat, "Won't work on Motorola phones".
    I'm not sure what feature of Google Pay you're talking about. Google Pay is a brainchild of Google which owns Android technology and Google Pay was previously called Android Pay. For Google Pay to "finally coming to Android" just doesn't make sense. When Google had a promotion several months ago to get people to use the newly-redesigned Google Pay app, we installed it on our LG, Samsung, Moto phone to send money to get the bonus and it worked. We uninstalled it because the app had half-finished functions and it took forever to transfer money via Google Pay.

If you're talking about the contact-less feature of paying using your phone, then your phone must have Near Field Communication (NFC) feature. There are apps on Google Play Store to check and see if your phone has NFC.

The screenshot below shows the result when I ran the NFC Technology Checker app on my LG Q7+ phone.

Name:  NFC.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  19.6 KB

Feedback Score
    Read a news article today saying that Google Pay was finally coming to Android. Then read the caveat, "Won't work on Motorola phones". I did a bit of research, and found out that any Moto G phone in the American market won't support it.

I really love my Moto G6, but would love to try Google Pay. Does anyone know of a Tracfone branded Moto that supports it? Not a must have, but would make my life easier.

Thanks much.
    Pay apps for contactless pay as a substitute for a credit card require Near Field Communications. None of the Motos that Tracfone currently sells have NFC. The Moto One 5G has it. TF may sell it sometime. It's a $300 phone. You could buy it and BYO to TF.

Some of the Samsung models TF sell have NFC. Other brands may also. You can check which models have it at gsmarena.com

Feedback Score
    I had a phone that had NFC. I thought it was unsafe and never used it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    I had a phone that had NFC. I thought it was unsafe and never used it.
    I used it once with the McDonalds app for the novelty. It was quicker to just pull my credit card out of my wallet.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I used it once with the McDonalds app for the novelty. It was quicker to just pull my credit card out of my wallet.
    Wallet...pfft..SO old-fashioned! Lol!

By the way, me, too!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Some of the Samsung models TF sell have NFC.
    I just checked and my wife's TF-branded Samsung A50 has NFC. I don't think the A10e has it (too lazy to dig it out of storage).

Feedback Score
    Interesting. I have a BYOP Samsung and use Samsung Pay almost exclusively when shopping. I am very surprised that Motorola doesn’t support NFC. It is such a useful tool.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by happygrrl1 View Post
    I am very surprised that Motorola doesn’t support NFC.
    They do on certain models. This link shows 39 Moto phones from 2018 to 2021 that have NFC . The Moto E5 is in that list, but my Simple Mobile Moto E5 doesn't have it.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Lots of the USA models of Motorola phones does not have NFC. Then lots of same model as international models does support NFC.

I know my G7 Optimo Maxx which is the same as the G7 Power does not support NFC, but the international G7 Power has NFC.

I do not know why Motorola did this.

Feedback Score
    Yes, contactless payment & NFC - should have been more specific.

A bit disappointed that this feature isn't found on more Motorola phones.

Will look at all options. Thanks, as always.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Yes, contactless payment & NFC - should have been more specific.

A bit disappointed that this feature isn't found on more Motorola phones.

Will look at all options. Thanks, as always.
    I know there is a few Samsung and LG phones with NFC, and supports the Pay apps.

Plus like other people have said Google Pay is not anything new.

Feedback Score
    They do on certain models. This link shows 39 Moto phones from 2018 to 2021 that have NFC . The Moto E5 is in that list, but my Simple Mobile Moto E5 doesn't have it.
    A lot of the phones in that list are not US models. Even if you could manage to buy one, it would have major deficiencies in US LTE bands. I checked my Tracfone branded Moto E5 - no NFC. I looked at the detailed listing for the Moto G7. It says NFC only on the European model. I bet the E5 is the European model only too. GSMArena just didn't note it in the specs.

Basically, none of the low end US Motos have NFC.

If I wanted NFC, I would just buy one of the Samsungs like an A20 or A50. SWMBO has a Samsung A20 which has NFC. It's nice enough. I'm not real picky about phones. It doesn't have to be a Moto.

Feedback Score
    Yup. I have an unlocked Moto E5 and a TF Moto G6 and neither have NFC. My daily driver is a Moto X4 and I have an older Moto XPE. Both have NFC and Google Pay works on both.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cv91913 View Post
    Yup. I have an unlocked Moto E5 and a TF Moto G6 and neither have NFC. My daily driver is a Moto X4 and I have an older Moto XPE. Both have NFC and Google Pay works on both.
    I've a Google Fi unlocked G7 - no NFC there either. But, I've known that for a while and knew when I purchased it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast