Thread: "Live Photo" on iPhone

Feedback Score

"Live Photo" on iPhone

I bought an iPhone SE2 with my Tracfone rewards points. I've never owned an iPhone before.

I saw this thing called "live photo" in the camera, so looked it up on Google. It says on Apple's support page that "With Live Photos, your iPhone records what happens 1.5 seconds before and after you take a picture. "

I can totally understand how a camera can record events 1.5 seconds *after* you take a picture, but how on earth can a camera record something 1.5 seconds *before* a picture is taken??

Is it just me, or has Apple devised a way to travel *back* in time?

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    I read the description of Live Photo https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207310. My take on it is when you press the shutter button the phone will record 3 seconds of video, and uses the image at the middle of that 3 seconds as the "still" photo. From the description, it sounds like you can review that 3 seconds of video and use a slider to pick any image in that time period to make a Key Photo.

Device(s)
    LG 290C
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Basically, what happens is that when you open your camera and have Live Photo enabled, your phone begins recording video, kind of like a dash camera, but only in very short term memory. When you press the shutter button, it then saves the footage from 1.5 seconds before and continues to save the recording from 1.5 seconds after. It does really make for some fun effects in the camera roll, particularly when you are taking pictures with friends.

Feedback Score
    It means they're always watching you

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I read the description of Live Photo https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207310. My take on it is when you press the shutter button the phone will record 3 seconds of video, and uses the image at the middle of that 3 seconds as the "still" photo. From the description, it sounds like you can review that 3 seconds of video and use a slider to pick any image in that time period to make a Key Photo.
    I know Pixel phones have had this for a while, including the 3a line, released 5/7/19, and it is pretty cool. I'm not sure if other phone cameras besides Pixel and iPhone have this. I also don't know which one had it first.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    It's on my iPhone se from 2016, don't know if that makes it first. It is kind of fun, like seeing one of the pictures on your wall come to life.

Feedback Score
    This feature is fun! It’s like photos in Harry Potter - the people are moving.

Device(s)
    LG V35, V20, iPhone SE, Moto E4, Galaxy Go Prime, Galaxy J3 Sky
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    my old LG v20 didn't have it, but my v35 released in 2018 has it, although I really dislike LG's clone of live photos...it involves holding your finger on the screen left/right to fast forward/back in the video, and hoping you don't tap the screen accidentally making the menu/icons disappear...at the right moment, lift your finger off (straight up, not at any kind of angle or it'll trigger the menu disappearing...) and press the little camera button in the bottom right, what it's basically doing is taking a screenshot of an mp4 video, which results in a low quality 720p nerfed quality screenshot. Maybe my phone is just messed up, and with it being abandoned now I'm not sure if I wanna get another, on top of LG exiting the smartphone market now, but dear god the camera always seemed slow to actually snap pics...(is shutter speed the right term?) even my 6 year old iphone 6S took pics instantaneously in comparison...the ios live photos was an easy walk in the park in comparison picking the right frame of the live photo, and I never noticed any obvious lowered quality like I do on the v35

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Shuuter speed is how long the shutter was opened to take the pictute.