Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Switching from AT&T to T Mobile

Feedback Score

Switching from AT&T to T Mobile

I am currently on an older ATT post paid 6GB shared data plan. As my wife and I have started travelling more we are using more data and thus running out of the 6 GB. Typically we run out after the first week and fall back to 2 G speed (like watching paint dry). I want to switch to an unlimited plan. My current 6GB shared data plan with 2 phones runs $59.50 ($72 with taxes and fees) (I am a AT$T retiree and get a 30% discount). The cheapest AT&T unlimited plan will run $98 (about $115 with taxes and fees including my discount). Cheapskate that I am, this is more than I want to pay. AT&T offers a 2 line unlimited senior plan in Florida that would work for $80 but I live in SC

Considering the T Mobile Magenta 55+ unlimited plan, looks like $70 (all in with taxes and fees) for our 2 phones and they throw in Netflix basic. My only real concern is coverage, we do a lot of camping in the SE US (SC, NC, GA, FL, TN). We camp mostly in state parks so no real remote areas. We never have had a problem with AT&T coverage but wonder if TM will be close to the same.

Any in-sight or errors of omission on my part?

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Impossible to say without knowing exactly where. TMobile has gotten better with coverage, but there still are areas where they lack. They cover those states you listed yes, but, just like any carrier coverage will be localized.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Theghostlad82 View Post
    Impossible to say without knowing exactly where. TMobile has gotten better with coverage, but there still are areas where they lack. They cover those states you listed yes, but, just like any carrier coverage will be localized.
    And given that TMobile coverage maps are a bit of wishful thinking, it is hard to tell

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA, Vodafone ES
    Feedback Score
    Get an unlocked phone with Band 71 and try it. If you don't finance a phone through T-Mobile then you can port back out anytime if T-Mobile ends up not working. In that case you could get on a Visible or US Mobile plan which run on the Verizon network.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT and T
    Feedback Score

Slightly off-topic but related: Here is a mitigation strategy that ties to your thread.

I have a connected car with AT&T $20/mo. unlimited plan where the vehicle modem allows for a data hotspot for up to 8 wifi connections. (An dependent hotspot could work, too.)

This plan works well and fills in almost all gaps encountered with a Sprint/T-Mo phone plan as long as you are in or close to the vehicle. At least it is a good backup for redundancy and gap coverage.

I likely will keep this set-up for another two years while T-Mo gets their full integration completed.
    Last edited by gdrenick74; 05-22-2021 at 11:48 AM.

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    For coverage, I would recommend checking
    https://maps.t-mobile.com/pcc.html?map=mvno-noroam-5

It is over exaggerated. Dont expect to get service where it shows the "outdoor only", and often "in vehicle".

Sent from my IN2017 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score

Sounds like you’re trying to save money. You might want to consider cricket (att signal)unlimited prepaid plans. Only $25 a month on cricket groups if you join on Reddit.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksurfer View Post
    Sounds like you’re trying to save money. You might want to consider cricket (att signal)unlimited prepaid plans. Only $25 a month on cricket groups if you join on Reddit.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    I agree with your Cricket Wireless recommendation to the op since they offer cheap unlimited data and in addition they still have access to the nationwide AT&T cellular network. In addition they can also use their existing AT&T cellphones but would need to carrier unlock them before leaving AT&T.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone SE, Galaxy a10e
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, Mobi
    Feedback Score
    ATT also has $40/month prepaid plans with 15GB data. So $80/month + tax, and there are ways to reduce the price.
    iPhone 12 Pro is my current primary phone. Now using both eSIM and nano SIM. And also have a Galaxy a10e as a backup travel phone.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10+, bunch of others
    Carrier(s)
    VerizonPP, 3UK, VodaFone
    Feedback Score
    Check out the Red Pocket plans that run on AT&T. $30/mo for 20GB when bought as an annual plan off of eBay. Or $50/mo for 30GB on a monthly basis.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback. I have decided to sign up for a $20 Red Pocket .plan and use for a few months to see how the coverage works in the areas I travel. Ill make the decision after that. Having 3 GB on Red Pocket with the 6GB ATT should hold me except on ;longer trips.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    You might want to try a T-Mobile SIM from an MVNO in some of the places you camp. Usually RVers in the U.S. avoid T-Mobile because of coverage issues. There's a lot of discussion about this on RV forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojniles View Post
    I am currently on an older ATT post paid 6GB shared data plan. As my wife and I have started travelling more we are using more data and thus running out of the 6 GB. Typically we run out after the first week and fall back to 2 G speed (like watching paint dry). I want to switch to an unlimited plan. My current 6GB shared data plan with 2 phones runs $59.50 ($72 with taxes and fees) (I am a AT$T retiree and get a 30% discount). The cheapest AT&T unlimited plan will run $98 (about $115 with taxes and fees including my discount). Cheapskate that I am, this is more than I want to pay. AT&T offers a 2 line unlimited senior plan in Florida that would work for $80 but I live in SC

Considering the T Mobile Magenta 55+ unlimited plan, looks like $70 (all in with taxes and fees) for our 2 phones and they throw in Netflix basic. My only real concern is coverage, we do a lot of camping in the SE US (SC, NC, GA, FL, TN). We camp mostly in state parks so no real remote areas. We never have had a problem with AT&T coverage but wonder if TM will be close to the same.

Any in-sight or errors of omission on my part?
    Sent from my SM-N960U1 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    How about AT&T prepaid? If 15GB is enough:

https://prepaidcompare.net/profiles/at-t-prepaid.html

15 GB
    Cost: $40 per 30 days.
    Minutes: Unlimited, Texts: Unlimited, Data: 15 GB at high speeds, followed by unlimited data at 128 kbps.
    Hotspot: 15 GB at high speeds then unlimited at 128kbps.
    5G: no.
    Family Plans:
    2 lines: $70.00
    3 lines: $100.00
    4 lines: $120.00
    5 lines: $140.00
    6 lines: $160.00
    7 lines: $180.00
    8 lines: $200.00
    9 lines: $220.00
    10 lines: $240.00.
    Data Addons:
    $10 for 1 GB valid for 30 days
    Plan Notes: Unlimited talk and text within and between the U.S., Mexico & Canada and unlimited text from the U.S. to over 100 countries. 480p video. Rollover data used last and expires after one month. SD video streaming. Plan includes 25 Gb and HD streaming with in-store activations of new lines with autopay at Walmart, ends 6/11.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.05.22
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 07.04.21

Device(s)
    1+ 8T 5G, Galaxy S20 5G, Moto G7 Power
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    You might want to check the T-Mobile coverage map on CellMapper.net. Being crowd-sourced, it's a bit more realistic than T-Mobile's maps.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Changed my mind (again). Going with an ATT prepaid family plan. 15 GB $40 for my phone, 5 GB $20 for wife. She usually uses a third of the data I use. $60 with taxes will be about that same as the $72 we currently pay.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast