Thread: Question about TF's iPhone Plans

Feedback Score

Question about TF's iPhone Plans

Does Tracfone only allow the unlimited $25 and unlimited $30 plans on iPhones?

I ask because if you want to buy an iPhone that specifies "plan purchase required", the only plans that you can buy are the $25 and $30 plans. You don't get to pick the $15 and $20 Smartphone plans. Are those plans disallowed on iPhones?

Thank you for any help with this.

Device(s)
    BLU V5, iPhone 6, iPhone SE2
    Carrier(s)
    TruPhone (ATT), Mint Mobile (TMo), TracFone (VZN), Cricket (ATT)
    Feedback Score

Question about TF's iPhone Plans

I have an iPhone and the limited plans ($15/$25) come up as options in my dashboard. But I have a BYOD sim. Maybe the options are different when you buy direct from them?

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

iPhone SE2 on Cricket (Primary)
    BLU V5 on TruPhone/Mint Mobile (Backup)
    iPhone 6 on Tracfone - VZ (Backup)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyette View Post
    It's the phone subsidy part that limits the airtime choices at sale time. You can then choose any other airtime plan, including PayGo.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    If you want a discounted sale price on the phone they force you to bundle an expensive plan of their choosing. When that plan of Tracfone`s choosing runs out you can choose ANY plan to continue your service.

I do not like the idea of transferring my paygo service to activate a phone`s SIM that has an unlimited plan attached to its activation.
    Tracfone has not proven they possess the technical sophistication to handle mixing plans in that manner.

Feedback Score
    I have a Tracfone bought IPhone and I can use any smartphone plan on it including the limited ones. That part is easy and only the initial bundled plan must be unlimited at Tracfone.com

It takes a bit more doing to use basic plans on iPhones as the site will mark those plans incompatible.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pitflyer View Post
    It takes a bit more doing to use basic plans on iPhones as the site will mark those plans incompatible.
    How does one use a basic plan for a smartphone?

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by arny56 View Post
    First you may want to go to the Tracfone website and act as if you are buying a basic plan and see how much it shows you will have added to each of your three buckets... the plan`s face value or tripled. Although the 90 days may be more important to you than the buckets.
    If you are not shown the basic plans at first, keep refreshing until they, or the category to click on to expand, are shown to you.

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by arny56 View Post
    If you're buying or redeeming points on TF web site, you might have to do what Tracfancier suggested to get it to show you the Basic Cards. If you're buying it in a store or at another site, just buy it and redeem it as any time card. You might get tripled the face value, or you might not.

Last month, I bought a $20 60-minute card on Target.com with email delivery, then used it to activate an LG Journey. I got 180/180/180.

Name:  Tracfone-Balance-2021-05-23-J.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  28.1 KB

Feedback Score
    If you have a pin it is easy to apply it to any account. To buy it in a smart phone account it takes a few attempts and luck.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I should have been more specific and asked how one redeems points to buy a basic plan for a smartphone, but you all seem to have anticipated that so thank you. :-)

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    If you want a discounted sale price on the phone they force you to bundle an expensive plan of their choosing. When that plan of Tracfone`s choosing runs out you can choose ANY plan to continue your service.

I do not like the idea of transferring my paygo service to activate a phone`s SIM that has an unlimited plan attached to its activation.
    Tracfone has not proven they possess the technical sophistication to handle mixing plans in that manner.
    Agreed. I activated the iPhone with a new number and required plan and I'll just let it run out before transferring my existing service to it.

Feedback Score
    I have been many times interested in the iPhone SE 2 from the Tracfone website and it was $199 , but the catch is you have to bundle it with airtime. Well I don't like that.. I wonder if Tracfone gets a special cut from Apple for bundling them with plans. And a digital airtime card its tied to the ESN or MEID when you receive a phone.

This happened when I bought a temporary phone from SM to travel to Mexico I asked chat why there was no airtime card and they told me it was tied to the phone activation.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyette View Post

I ask because if you want to buy an iPhone that specifies "plan purchase required", the only plans that you can buy are the $25 and $30 plans. You don't get to pick the $15 and $20 Smartphone plans. Are those plans disallowed on iPhones?

Thank you for any help with this.
    When I bought my iPhone 6s from Walmart, it was a Total Wireless Phone. However the card for activation had different TF brands printed on the card. I did not have to use the digital card included with the bundle to activate the phone, I treated the phone as if I bought direct from TF and it activated. These phones should have a SIM card kit attached to the phone you buy or included in a separate pouch in the shipping box.

Point being if you can get it from one of their MVNO brands and it does not have to be bundled you can activate it on TF.