Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Looks like Sprint CDMA has a pending end date now

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    20,069
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0

    Looks like Sprint CDMA has a pending end date now

    According to this article: https://www.phonearena.com/news/tmob...twork_id132320 T-mobile is shutting down the old CDMA networks in early 2022. I know that anything could happen between now and then, but we finally have an official, announced time frame. According to the article, they laid out the general plan to get current CDMA users to change to at least 4G devices (although I suspect 5G will be even cheaper and more available before the end of the year).
    Just another day in paradise.....

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,770
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    According to this article: https://www.phonearena.com/news/tmob...twork_id132320 T-mobile is shutting down the old CDMA networks in early 2022. I know that anything could happen between now and then, but we finally have an official, announced time frame. According to the article, they laid out the general plan to get current CDMA users to change to at least 4G devices (although I suspect 5G will be even cheaper and more available before the end of the year).
    Yep. They’ve been in a big dispute with Dish/Boost for a while over this.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6,341
    Feedback Score
    0
    What Dish b**ching? I can't believe that.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

    Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.05.22
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 07.04.21

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    5,556
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    What Dish b**ching? I can't believe that.
    As part of the T-Mobile purchase of Sprint, Sprint's Boost brand was spun off and purchased by Dish as part of the narrative to continue four carriers . Dish was to be allowed to pay to continue operation on the legacy Sprint network and some roaming on T-Mobile.

    As part of the narrative of the deal, T-Mo gave an estimated date to the end of Sprint CDMA. T-Mo recently (~6 months ago?) revised the date to the end of Sprint CDMA to be early 2022 which is a year or so earlier than the previous plan.

    This could adversely effect Dish's ability to retain Boost customers with older phones that use CDMA for voice calls, texts, and 3G data - their phones would stop working. T-Mo will give their effected Sprint customers a free phone compatible with the new network. This change would force Dish to do something about old phones on Boost earlier than they had planned, presumably at considerable expense, or loss of customers.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    15,375
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    This could adversely effect Dish's ability to retain Boost customers with older phones that use CDMA for voice calls, texts, and 3G data - their phones would stop working. T-Mo will give their effected Sprint customers a free phone compatible with the new network. This change would force Dish to do something about old phones on Boost earlier than they had planned, presumably at considerable expense, or loss of customers.
    Who are these customers that are happy with CDMA only phones and 3G data? That's what I want to know.

    This seems like Dish just causing trouble. One could easily entice these CDMA customers to upgrade to a cheap 4G/5G phone or even give them a cheap one for free to retain them as a customer.

    I think it's more of a case of Dish just wanting to be a pain to TMUS by having them maintain and operate a hardly used CDMA network for longer than truly necessary.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,663
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    This seems like Dish just causing trouble.
    Trouble is Dish middle name.
    Since they have bought that spectrum, they only sit on it, waiting to unload it for profit.
    Now that they were forced to simulate that they actually have a functional network, they keep complaining, probably hoping to settle with some extra money from T-Mobile.
    Reference:
    https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...h-does-it-have

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    5,556
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Who are these customers that are happy with CDMA only phones and 3G data? That's what I want to know.
    Sprint never deployed VoLTE widely before they were bought by T-Mo. The majority of Sprint, Boost, and Sprint MVNO customers are still using CDMA for voice and text. AFAIK, T-Mo has not bothered upgrading the Sprint network to VoLTE since Sprint is going away. T-Mo has mentioned how many sprint customers still have phones that are not compatible with the T-Mo network. IIRC, it is something like 20%.

    3G data isn't much of an issue. Sprint phones since about 2012 have had 4G LTE, but still relied on CDMA for voice and text. I was running two of these phones until the end of last year.

    This seems like Dish just causing trouble. One could easily entice these CDMA customers to upgrade to a cheap 4G/5G phone or even give them a cheap one for free to retain them as a customer.
    All that costs money. T-Mo can afford it. Dish maybe not so much. Anything they have to spend to give away phones reduces the money they have to build their network.

    I think it's more of a case of Dish just wanting to be a pain to TMUS by having them maintain and operate a hardly used CDMA network for longer than truly necessary.
    I'm not defending Dish. They are a pimple on the azz of progress.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,663
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Sprint never deployed VoLTE widely before they were bought by T-Mo.
    My friend was on Sprint for years, transition caught him with a Galaxy S21, so T-Mobile send him a a new SIM to replace the Sprint one.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6,341
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    ...As part of the narrative of the deal, T-Mo gave an estimated date to the end of Sprint CDMA. T-Mo recently (~6 months ago?) revised the date to the end of Sprint CDMA to be early 2022 which is a year or so earlier than the previous plan...
    If TM only supplied an estimated date to end CDMA. Then it's 100% Dish's fault they didn't get a specific date in their contract with TM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    8,013
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    My friend was on Sprint for years, transition caught him with a Galaxy S21, so T-Mobile send him a a new SIM to replace the Sprint one.
    Was his Sprint account then changed to a T-Mobile account?

Similar Threads

  1. Looks Like Sprint Has Released AKU2 for 6700
    By swimmrguy in forum TELUS/Koodo/Public Mobile
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-18-2006, 03:01 PM
  2. Looks like Sprint PTT is another flop!
    By NextelsOnly in forum General Nextel Discussion
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 01-07-2004, 04:36 PM
  3. Looks like AT&T has the Nokia 3620
    By ChadS in forum AT&T
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-05-2003, 04:25 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-22-2003, 11:46 PM
  5. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-02-2003, 01:07 AM

Bookmarks