Thread: Are the no namebrand and unknown name cheap Chinese phones on AMZN/Ebay worthwhile or junk?

Feedback Score

Are the no namebrand and unknown name cheap Chinese phones on AMZN/Ebay worthwhile or junk?

Are the no namebrand and unknown name cheap Chinese phones on AMZN/Ebay worthwhile or junk?

Is it a, "you get what you pay for," meaning they are cheap in price because they are cheaply built junk?
    One of the listings actually said to NOT buy it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124733645909
    Smartphone 5.8 Inch 64GB/128GB 4500mAh Android 10 Dual SIM Mobile Phone 5G
    $40+$25 shipping=$65 with a note that there may be additional custom/import fees

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164864786296
    Note 30U Pro 512GB 7.2 screen, 5G, 5800mAh, dual sim, Android 10
    $85 delivered from Lake Wales FL

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174779008386
    7.2 Inch Android Smartphone 6GB+128GB 10 Dual SIM 10-Core 5600mAh Mobile Phone %G
    $20+free shipping. Seller in UK, but phone made in China
    This one gives a warning, admitting that it's a cheap phone and says to NOT buy it, in the listing. Why do they say it's a good gift, but say to NOT buy it? Is it meant as a good gift for someone you don't like, or that you only want to buy it if you are planning to give it away, and not have to use it yourself?
    "The phone is a low-cost smart phone made in China. This is a good gift. If you have very strict requirements on the phone you want to buy, please do not buy this phone."

Are these cheap, no name Chinese phones likely to have spyware/malware? The $20 delivered one shipped from England can't be making money at that price.

Ultimately, I'm looking for the best value, dual sim, 128GB smartphone, and came across these on the low end of the price spectrum. It's not a good value if it breaks soon or doesn't work well.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The biggest issue can be incompatibility with the US providers. Additionally, product support and warranty are nonexistent if the carrier doesn't sell the device.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by csph View Post
    I looked at them when I was first considering a smartphone. I decided not to risk it. If there was a problem, what was I going to do? Ship it back to China?

I think there is a reason why we never see them or hear about them. They are no good at any price.

It is unlikely that any of them will activate on Verizon or their MVNOs. Verizon works from a whitelist of acceptable phones. None of the cheap no-name Chinese stuff is on the whitelist. T-Mobile and AT&T have also started getting picky about what phones they will allow.

Blu surveys them and picks the ones that are any good to sell as Blu phones. Blu does not manufacture phones themselves.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Blu surveys them and picks the ones that are any good to sell as Blu phones. Blu does not manufacture phones themselves.
    What the 1st 2 responses say, logically makes sense. I think it could be filed under, "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

Isn't it true that most of the phones are manufactured/assembled by Chinese contract factories, even Apple, Motorola, etc? I imagine the biggest difference between name brand phones like Apple, Motorola vs the no name or unknown brands is the quality of components and the testing procedures. I saw YouTube videos in the past of the electronic components/phone parts mega malls in China, where one could browse aisles of thousands of vendors to buy the individual components of cell phone parts. The video made it look like one could practically build their own, but I don't know how feasible that would be, even if one was already in China near the mega mall, to DIY assemble it.

Before you mentioned Blu, I was considering buying a Blu phone, because they are one of the cheapest DUAL SIM phones. At Best Buy, the salesperson said they weren't reliable, but I wanted to get more feedback about Blu, because the salespeople were idiots/uninformed, since they didn't even know Blu was the brand known for having dual sim on all their phones. The salesperson said the only dual sim phone was the Nokia. Not reassuring when I knew more about their phones than they did.