Thread: Tracfone Port Out Scam Prevent?

Feedback Score

Tracfone Port Out Scam Prevent?

Does anyone have any ideas on how to best prevent a Tracfone port-out scam?

I tried to log in to change my security question answer to "Do Not Port Without Pin" but I couldn't edit it. For some reason, I get an error indicating that the email address is already in use (even though I didn't try to change the email on the same page).

Will calling customer service help and asking them to note the account? I know half or more of the CSR's will probably ignore that anyway...

I know prepaid phones aren't as susceptible to this (usually socially engineered) scam but I was hoping someone had a suggestion or two.

Trying to stay safe in a world full of scammers!

Any insight appreciated!

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    While I have never owned a prepaid phone/plan, I think your best bet to prevent such a situation is to call customer service and ask them to notate the account as you thought. Not exactly a self-service option. I am not trivializing the matter and I don't think it would be unreasonable to request it to be added to the account notes.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Try clearing the browser cookies/cache or using a different browser.

It is unfortunately normal for Tracfone to be dysfunctional.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3 & 3a, iPhone SE (2020)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Great question.

I can't even login to the website now to update my security question (assuming you can even do that).... like 50% of the time you can't even login.

But I will see if I can change my security question to that... what a hassle it would be if a scammer got your number and you lost all your prepaid service time... not to mention when you need your phone number for authentication purposes. There should be a law that requires all service providers to make it easy for people to put a lock on their accounts.
    Tracfone BBB Complaint Response: A Tracfone representative told me that posting a referral code around on Internet forums and social media is a violation of the terms. The referral program is for referring known friends and family.

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Common Sense Al View Post
    But I will see if I can change my security question to that... what a hassle it would be if a scammer got your number and you lost all your prepaid service time.
    Whenever I wanted to make a change to my phones on TF, the rep always asked for the PIN to confirm ownership. Haven't been asked the security questions for a long time.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Everyone should have their phones in a Tracfone account(s) with a good secure PIN. That leaves Tracfone liable.