Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Motorola Moto E 2020 Normal to have no signal indicated before activating the new phone?

Feedback Score

Exclamation Motorola Moto E 2020 Normal to have no signal indicated before activating the new phone?

I'm a long time TF customer. I would say every phone prior to this one (and I have owned six or seven) has always shown some sort of cell signal BEFORE it was activated (sometimes it will be for another network before switching to one of the TF (vz/att/ect networks)
    FYI I have an two other existing TF phones one active the other not active and both have at least two signal bars showing.

This time I received a new moto e from HSN and upon turning it on the reception icon shows
    an "x" next to the signal meter, and the phone also says emergency calls only. I can see the fact that the phone would only call 911 because it has not been activated yet, but I find it odd that no signal bars are showing on the phone .

I'm hesitant to activate the phone because I'm a current customer with an active account and don't want to go down the rabbit hole of TF customer service. I wonder if this is something new. Anyone else notice this ...

Thanks for any help
    Last edited by N2FUV; 05-31-2021 at 02:20 PM.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    What towers are the older phones using vs the newer phones?

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    If it cannot connect with a tower it cannot display the correct time and date. There is a problem if it cannot.

Feedback Score
    I currently have LG Rebel 4, and LG Solo LTE (currently active on TF)both have two solid bars on VZ LTE towers. Even an older rebel 1 not active has two bars on CDMA
    VZ.

The moto e 2020 IS showing the correct time and date...so perhaps on Android 10 the phone only shows a signal strength when it is activated on a network??

Feedback Score
    The Rebel 4 and Solo LTE are on Android 8.1.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I do not remember ever not seeing a Verizon signal before activation. An x indicates no signal, but the time and date contradict that.
    My newest phone is a Moto G6... Android 9. I stopped paying attention to if there was a pre-activation signal.
    I believe I would be worried if I thought about it as you have. Hopefully, someone will be in a position to help you soon.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    I do not remember ever not seeing a Verizon signal before activation. An x indicates no signal, but the time and date contradict that.
    My newest phone is a Moto G6... Android 9. I stopped paying attention to if there was a pre-activation signal.
    I believe I would be worried if I thought about it as you have. Hopefully, someone will be in a position to help you soon.
    I'm quite the geek when it comes to weird details like this...I just remember that even the TF feature phones on VZ CDMA had some kind of signal PRIOR to being activated on TF (VZ network) I'm not sure what those preactivation networks were on those old phones but clearly those old VZ CDMA phones showed a signal BEFORE activation.

I was searching on the net and some have indicated that some Motorola phones from the past couple of years have improperly seated
    SIM cards that may cause a no signal issue, but like I said this phone has the correct time and date.

I have to see if I can go into the settings and find the numerical db signal readout....if any

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Someone should show up with some further info to help you. You sometimes have to wait it out for the right person to show up and answer you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Someone should show up with some further info to help you. You sometimes have to wait it out for the right person to show up and answer you.
    Thanks for the tip. I appreciate it.

There is NO way I'm going to chance activating this phone before I can get better idea what is going on.

Feedback Score
    Would it be possible to install the app Network Signal Lite or whatever it's called and see what signals are actually there?

Feedback Score
    Just from memory.... I usually see bars indicating signal prior to activation: but that signal is shown as 3G/CDMA. By coincidence, I helped activate a phone today on Total Wireless/Verizon-- and the phone did show 3G bars before activation.

Is it possible that the Moto E (2020) provisions as CDMA-less? (And would not show CDMA/3G.) The phone I was activating today was a much older Moto E4. (I looked up the specs, and to a novice it does appear to have Verizon CDMA bands....)

Perhaps try to place a call? The phone I was working with today initially had problems getting set up with the network, and an attempted call would connect me to a recording for a Verizon operator. If yours behaves the same, it should display 3G during the attempt.
    My Tello referral code is P3BSR5HV, and gets both of us 10 Tello Dollars to pay for a plan.
    https://tello.com/account/register?_referral=P3BSR5HV

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhandle View Post
    Just from memory.... I usually see bars indicating signal prior to activation: but that signal is shown as 3G/CDMA. By coincidence, I helped activate a phone today on Total Wireless/Verizon-- and the phone did show 3G bars before activation.

Is it possible that the Moto E (2020) provisions as CDMA-less? (And would not show CDMA/3G.) The phone I was activating today was a much older Moto E4. (I looked up the specs, and to a novice it does appear to have Verizon CDMA bands....)

Perhaps try to place a call? The phone I was working with today initially had problems getting set up with the network, and an attempted call would connect me to a recording for a Verizon operator. If yours behaves the same, it should display 3G during the attempt.
    Glad you said you noticed at least some network signal before activation, same here with prior phones. I just now tried to call a non emergency number and the phone simply said network unavailable for cellular communications...

Then I took my old Rebel 1 on CDMA (deactivated)and tried to make a call, sure enough it comes back with what I would expect the vz recording that your mobile number is not active....

I went to devicespecifications and checked which networks the moto e 2020 can function on and it still will function on CDMA as the older phones do, so you would think it would be picking up the older networks like 3G at least before activation unless Android 10
    tells the signal meter to not show a signal until the phone is formally activated??

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by N2FUV View Post
    so perhaps on Android 10 the phone only shows a signal strength when it is activated on a network??
    My Samsung A51 was on Android 10 and did show a signal before activation. The phone doesn't display carrier names though, whether before or after activation.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by phonetower135 View Post
    My Samsung A51 was on Android 10 and did show a signal before activation. The phone doesn't display carrier names though, whether before or after activation.
    Glad to see that your samsung on Android 10 is showing some signal of some network before activated too. I have a sneaking feeling that all is not well with this new motorola moto e phone .

I was tempted to remove and reinsert the sim but I hate to fork around with it since it is brand new

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by N2FUV View Post
    I have a sneaking feeling that all is not well with this new motorola moto e phone .
    I think your gut feeling may be right. I don't know about the TF Moto E7, but based on Visible's Moto E6, a phone that doesn't show signal bars is doomed. Here's the thread, if you are interested: https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...2#post17123872

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast