Thread: Which Prepaid is for me?

Feedback Score

Which Prepaid is for me?

I am technologically challenged so please bear with me.

I reside in Philadelphia, PA, and have a Verizon Samsung S7. I was with boom Mobile prepaid (Verizon Network) for the past five or so years and was mostly pleased. While I did not need to talk with them often, when I did, I found their customer service was good.

At the end of March, I switched to T-Mobile prepaid. I did so to get 1 more GB of data and save a few dollars. Unlimited talk & text (I do not need unlimited), 2.5 GB of data (I do not use more) for $15/month plus tax. Good customer service and I like their billing. They charge my credit card monthly and send me a text message. The only issue, but a big one, is poor telephone service inside the house. I did not have this problem with boom Mobile using the Verizon network. I understand the problem is because I have an older phone and is missing some T-Mobile bands, thus not seeing "all" of the network and because it has Verizon “firmware” on it, I can not use wifi calling with T-Mobile. Everything has been tried without success and I need to get back to a Verizon MVNO.

I am looking for a Verizon MVNO that has some telephone customer service (at least to get me going), a prepaid plan with about 2 GB per month, monthly billing to my credit card, and a price of $15 - $20 per month. It seems like Page Plus, Red Pocket, Reach Mobile, and US Mobile meet these criteria but I can't tell on the billing.

Your thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    If Samsung Galaxy S7 SM-G930F is your phone you're not on Boom VZW. That phone isn't supposed to work on VZW.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...g930_32gb.html
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.05.22
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 07.04.21

Feedback Score
    Mobi.com is worth a look. Their prices are great for low data usage.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    If Samsung Galaxy S7 SM-G930F is your phone you're not on Boom VZW. That phone isn't supposed to work on VZW.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...g930_32gb.html
    When I go to settings > About phone, it shows Samsung-SM-G930V.

Every time I turn on the phone, it shows that it is a Verizon phone. Since I switched to T-Mobile, I have a constant notification "SIM card is not from Verizon Wireless". And, I confirmed that when I was with boom Mobile, the plan I had was "boom Red" which is for the Verizon network.

Feedback Score
    US Mobile uses Verizon and has some cheap plans for low data users.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    The problem is the phone you are using. It doesn't support very many of the bands that T-mobile uses. It looks to only have band 2 (1900 pcs) and band 4 (1700/2100 aws). Band 12 (700) is a low band which should help greatly with signal penetration. Yours doesn't have it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    US Mobile uses Verizon and has some cheap plans for low data users.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using HoFo mobile app
    Thank you for your post.

It does look like US Mobile has plans suited for my needs. I would not like to get disconnected from T-Mobile and have a problem getting connected with US Mobile and find out that I can't talk with anyone.

Do they have reasonably decent telephone support to get me started?

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work phone / T-Mobile (iPad) / Verizon (personal phone) / Tracfone AT&T MVNO (for fun)!
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Anovise View Post
    Thank you for your post.

It does look like US Mobile has plans suited for my needs. I would not like to get disconnected from T-Mobile and have a problem getting connected with US Mobile and find out that I can't talk with anyone.

Do they have reasonably decent telephone support to get me started?
    I don't know that too many here have tried them -- they claim to have good customer service, and with their new plans, I am surprised they haven't hit the radar of more here ($15 + taxes and fees for UNL T&T/5GB, and the new unlimited plans which include fees/taxes at $45 for one line, $60 for 2 lines and $25/line when subscribing for 3 or more lines).

FWIW, things are a little easier on Verizon to setup -- most of the settings should already work on your phone (they don't tend to use different APNs for MVNOs). You may have to change/delete the APN setting you were using on T-Mobile if you added one, as that may (or may not) interfere when you reinsert the Verizon SIM.

Feedback Score
    FWIW, US Mobile gets pretty high marks for customer service from users in other forums. I haven't used them myself.

I think the most common complaint is that they're not particularly transparent about taxes "and fees", since it seems they usually add a fixed "recovey fee" of $3-3 to most plans that aren't specifically stated as inclusive of those charges, instead of just raising the published price of the plans.
    My Tello referral code is P3BSR5HV, and gets both of us 10 Tello Dollars to pay for a plan.
    https://tello.com/account/register?_referral=P3BSR5HV

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Anovise View Post
    I am technologically challenged so please bear with me.

I am looking for a Verizon MVNO that has some telephone customer service (at least to get me going), a prepaid plan with about 2 GB per month, monthly billing to my credit card, and a price of $15 - $20 per month. It seems like Page Plus, Red Pocket, Reach Mobile, and US Mobile meet these criteria but I can't tell on the billing.

Your thoughts and suggestions would...
    US Mobile gives a choice of the Verizon, or the T-Mobile networks. The regular fee adds $2 each 30-day period. You can view the website to get started. There is a $12 per 30-day period plan for unlim talk&text with 1 GB data, so figure on $14 and the taxes will be extra, so probably would be a little over $15 per plan period. You can check how the custom plans work if you want also before deciding.

Also you might want to check with Tello for their custom plans, which might be cheaper, although Tello uses T-Mobile network.

Feedback Score
    high technology, greenhandle, and joseg2016:

Thanks for your posts!

I went by the T-Mobile store and then re-connected my SIM to their towers and did whatever they did, but no improvement. Too bad because I like their price ($17.85/month) and customer service. However, missing some unknown but fairly high percentage of calls in the house is unacceptable. I need go back to using a Verizon network with my Samsung S7 (Samsung-SM-G930V).

I have been looking around US Mobile's website and they offer chat and email support, and it seems telephone support as well. I do much better on the phone. I too have read that they get pretty high marks for customer service. I think that I will need that because I am technologically challenged but maybe not.

I only use about 2 GB of data a month but it seems their Unlimited Talk & Text plan with 5 GB of data is the best price point. $15 per month plus about $4.75 more with the recovery fee and taxes. So while it will cost me $2 more per month, I will also get 2.5 GB more of data. Well worth it for a phone that I can use with confidence inside my house!

It seems that I will need to change the APN setting but that does not seem that difficult and if I have a problem, hopefully customer service can help me.

https://www.usmobile.com/help/knowle...g-your-device/

My T-Mobile Connect Plan expires 6-30, so I plan on changing a week before. I figure this will be enough time in case there is a problem/delay.

Thanks for your help.

Anovice