Thread: Problem trying to use my unlocked Sprint phone on VZW

Feedback Score

Problem trying to use my unlocked Sprint phone on VZW

We recently moved our service from Sprint to Verizon. I have a Samsung S7 Edge that I've owned forever and used on Sprint that for a bit I want to use on one of our Verizon numbers. I talked to Sprint and they have assured me the phone is unlocked. I go to Verizon and they say the phone can't be activated on their network for some reason. So I go back to Sprint thinking they were wrong about it being unlocked and they once again assure me it is. The guy at the Verizon store acts like the problem is the phone itself. I was always under the assumption that these types of phones were made the same and had the 2 radios in them but that Sprint merely did not use both. Is there any "hardware" reason why this phone can't be used with VZW or is this some sort of unlocking problem or something?

Device(s)
    Too many to list
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,
    Feedback Score
    Your Sprint S7 may be unlocked, but it does not support Band 13 which is Verizon's primary LTE band. It may be possible to use in some areas where Verizon operates on bands that your phone supports, such as 2, 4 and 5. But overall you won't have much satisfaction using the phone on Verizon without Band 13.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pconyers View Post
    We recently moved our service from Sprint to Verizon. I have a Samsung S7 Edge that I've owned forever and used on Sprint that for a bit I want to use on one of our Verizon numbers. I talked to Sprint and they have assured me the phone is unlocked. I go to Verizon and they say the phone can't be activated on their network for some reason. So I go back to Sprint thinking they were wrong about it being unlocked and they once again assure me it is. The guy at the Verizon store acts like the problem is the phone itself. I was always under the assumption that these types of phones were made the same and had the 2 radios in them but that Sprint merely did not use both. Is there any "hardware" reason why this phone can't be used with VZW or is this some sort of unlocking problem or something?
    No LTE band 13 or 66 on that phone. Even if you could get Verizon to activate it would not work well. Verizon probably doesn't want it on their network because people using it would go around saying that Verizon is garbage. They don't want the bad PR.

Phones for Verizon also are required to work with Verizon VoLTE. The S7 has VoLTE, but it is not clear if it is compatible with Verizon VoLTE.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Surprisingly I think you'll find VoLTE is the problem; VZW had back to S5 with VoLTE, and I think a few late S4 variants even had VoLTE (AT&T couple models did I think, although those probably don't have band 13...). But Sprint had surprisingly recent phones without VoLTE support, since they were relatively slow rolling out VoLTE network-side they seemed to just not get VoLTE-capable firmware for some models where the firmware generally supported it. I think that's why they aren't activating it, VZW quit activating non-VoLTE-capable phones a few years back.

If the VoLTE gets enabled, then it'll probably work fine. Missing band 13 isn't ideal but probably not to bad (VZW usually has band 5 too..) No band 66 isn't a big deal, that's an extended band 4 so you'd have band 5, 4, and 2 working on there. VZW has put off turning off their CDMA network, but not kept activating anything that relies on it.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    You'd have to flash unbranded firmware to the S7 Edge to get it working.. but it's just not worth it for such an old device.

Sell it for what little bit it's worth and grab at least an S8 as when the newer phones are unlocked and a new SIM is inserted.. it'll automatically reconfigure itself for the new carrier including boot screens and config.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more “rural” areas)