Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Verizon Is Finally Giving Away iPhones to Win Over 5G Customers

BTA-44: MTA-29: MSA-41: PEA-40: CMA-41: BEA-78: MEA-24
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S21 Ultra, Galaxy S10+, Galaxy S8, LG K7, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score

Verizon Is Finally Giving Away iPhones to Win Over 5G Customers

Wow, Verizon giving away phones to new AND existing customers must mean competition from Tmobile is really starting to impact Verizon significantly.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...t-and-t-mobile

Facing pressure from its wireless competitors, Verizon Communications Inc. is offering free Apple and Android phones to customers who sign up for unlimited plans on its faster 5G network.

Once a holdout on giveaways to existing customers, the largest U.S. wireless carrier is now matching similar trade-in offers from AT&T Inc. and T-Mobile US Inc. -- part of an effort to reverse recent subscriber losses.

Starting Tuesday, new Verizon customers who chose a premium 5G unlimited plan can qualify for as much as $1,000 in credit toward an Apple iPhone or $1,100 for the Samsung Galaxy S21. Current customers are eligible for $700 toward an iPhone or $800 for an Android model if they move up to a higher-priced unlimited plan.

“We’re very much doing this from a position of strength,” Ronan Dunne, the head of Verizon’s consumer group, said on Bloomberg Television. “We have a great range of choices for customers.”

Verizon lost 178,000 phone customers in the first quarter. In the same period, AT&T added 595,000 mobile-phone subscribers and T-Mobile led the group with 773,000 new phone customers.

The giveaway is aimed at reviving subscriber growth, as well as luring customers into higher-priced 5G unlimited plans. The more customer traffic Verizon can move onto its new, largely empty 5G networks, the less congested its 4G and 3G systems will be.

The 5G race is heating up. U.S. carriers have spent billions of dollars on airwave licenses and are building 5G wireless networks that promise speeds 10 times faster than current connections. T-Mobile has a lead of a year or more in 5G coverage after acquiring Sprint Corp. and its trove of midband airwaves.

AT&T, meanwhile, is spinning off its WarnerMedia division and will use a portion of the $43 billion in cash from that deal to expand its 5G network. The carrier has been the most aggressive with phone prices, giving away new Apple Inc. iPhones and Androids to new and existing customers who upgrade their plans.

Verizon was first to launch 5G, but its ultrafast connections ride on tricky millimeter waves that don’t travel far or pass through leaves and glass. The company offers nationwide 5G service, but its superfast 5G experience is available only in limited areas within 75 cities, 13 airports and more than 60 arenas.

While technically offering unlimited service, AT&T and Verizon both throttle connection speeds after customers reach certain data caps or if their networks are congested. T-Mobile boasts that it never curbs the speeds of its unlimited customers. Plans can cost up to $90 a month.

The phone offers are a bit of a throwback. A decade ago, free handsets were a common way for carriers to lock customers into two-year contracts. Today’s offers provide credits on monthly device payments spread over two years or more. Customers who stick with the service for two years have their payments covered. Those who leave, on the other hand, are on the hook for the remaining phone payments.

Dunne sees signs that the economy is picking up based on store activity and traffic patterns on the network that indicate people are moving around at pre-pandemic levels again.
    “We want to do our bit to get the country moving again,” he said.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T Unlimited Elite & Unlimited Starter
    HBOMAX

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shortyd999 View Post
    Wow, Verizon giving away phones to new AND existing customers must mean competition from Tmobile is really starting to impact Verizon significantly.

“We’re very much doing this from a position of strength,” Ronan Dunne, the head of Verizon’s consumer group, said on Bloomberg Television. “We have a great range of choices for customers.”

Doing this from a position of strength? What a load of bull hockery. That is diplomatic PR doublespeak. What's happening is obvious. T-Mobile has become a driving competitive force in the market. Good for them and good for all of us on any carrier.

T-Mobile remains a poor network if you have to travel rural, but that is not a problem for a lot of people. T-Mo is one year into a major three year network expansion. They have a long way to go. Still, they are Hoovering up the customers already.

To 5G or not to 5G? Ask me in a year. Today I don't care. It's irrelevant.

Feedback Score
    This is BS promo and won't do anything. 15 year customer and I can't take advantage of it. Verizon will continue to lose customers until they give customers what they actual want. Either cheaper plans or better plans. Oh wow I can get 2 months of Sling and 6 months of discovery+ and 6 month of Google Play thing. That'll keep me a customer forever. Think that one through

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Doing this from a position of strength? What a load of bull hockery. That is diplomatic PR doublespeak. What's happening is obvious. T-Mobile has become a driving competitive force in the market. Good for them and good for all of us on any carrier.

T-Mobile remains a poor network if you have to travel rural, but that is not a problem for a lot of people. T-Mo is one year into a major three year network expansion. They have a long way to go. Still, they are Hoovering up the customers already.
    Yep that's the issue on big cities T-Mobile is equal and lots of cases better than Verizon and I'm not sure why anyone in those places is a Verizon customer. In areas like mine they still leave a lot to be desired. So kind of stuck with Verizon. Verizon lost 178K customers in Q1 2021 not sure how they think they are in position of strength. The people most likely to bail Verizon are the ones that Verizon doesn't seem interested in trying to keep

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    AT&T: “Hey, we figured out that if you don’t give existing customers the same deals as new customers, your existing customers will leave.”

Verizon:

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Verizon Is Finally Giving Away iPhones to Win Over 5G Customers

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    This is BS promo and won't do anything. 15 year customer and I can't take advantage of it. Verizon will continue to lose customers until they give customers what they actual want. Either cheaper plans or better plans. Oh wow I can get 2 months of Sling and 6 months of discovery+ and 6 month of Google Play thing. That'll keep me a customer forever. Think that one through
    But Verizon is giving customers what they want. They are giving them start unlimited with fewer perks at a cheaper cost than plans with more perks/promos for higher cost. I highly doubt start unlimited will ever be cheaper than it currently is. That is why visible was established and why Verizon is shelling out billions of dollars for TracPhone for the “cheaper plans”.

You 100% are eligible for this new promo however you are choosing not to select a plan that qualifies you for the promo. You are not forced into any plan and you can choose whatever plan you like. Of course the higher priced plans will have more perks.

Although I am underwhelmed with the announcement it actually is not a bad deal. For a lot of people the drawback of switching carriers is the upfront cost of phones. This will absolutely help Verizon get new customers and it will help retain old ones.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    But Verizon is giving customers what they want. They are giving them start unlimited with fewer perks at a cheaper cost than plans with more perks/promos for higher cost. I highly doubt start unlimited will ever be cheaper than it currently is. That is why visible was established and why Verizon is shelling out billions of dollars for TracPhone for the “cheaper plans”.

You 100% are eligible for this new promo however you are choosing not to select a plan that qualifies you for the promo. You are not forced into any plan and you can choose whatever plan you like. Of course the higher priced plans will have more perks.

Although I am underwhelmed with the announcement it actually is not a bad deal. For a lot of people the drawback of switching carriers is the upfront cost of phones. This will absolutely help Verizon get new customers and it will help retain old ones.

It's the same thing TMobile does. I know the narrative is TMobile is this "ultra cheap" service that gives customers more, but, that's really not the case, especially if that person is a single line user. Want Netflix? $90 plan only on a single line. The days of TMobile being a cheap option are over, and promos like these free phone giveaways will become the norm over lowering plan costs.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Theghostlad82 View Post
    It's the same thing TMobile does. I know the narrative is TMobile is this "ultra cheap" service that gives customers more, but, that's really not the case, especially if that person is a single line user. Want Netflix? $90 plan only on a single line. The days of TMobile being a cheap option are over, and promos like these free phone giveaways will become the norm over lowering plan costs.
    I agree. IMO That is what MVNO’s are for. If you asked 10 people who runs xfinity mobile I bet at least 7 will say Comcast. I have had a few friends tell me they would switch to xfinity mobile or visible to save money but they said they can’t cause Verizon was the only carrier that worked at their house. They had no idea that those MVNO’s were ran on Verizon’s towers. This is one area I think Verizon will need to do better with its Visible and Tracphone branding but I’m also sure they want to be cautious not to eat up Verizon’s subs. I think T-Mobile does very good in branding in this area.

I think the main carriers will all remain about the same price and the MVNO’s will be the ones fighting for subs with the cheaper plans. At this point coverage and user experience are fairly close on all carriers (depending on where you live) that most people re basically at the point where they can just choose whichever carrier has the best perks for them.

Sent from my iPad using HoFo

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Theghostlad82 View Post
    Well, in all fairness.. the entire industry has went to the "if you want cheap then do a family plan" structure.

BUT, I also recall the time I paid Verizon $39.99 for 450min, $29.99 for data, $29.99 for hotspot, and $20 for SMS/MMS for a total of $119.97 before taxes and fees..

T-Mobile has brought prices down considerably compared to where they were, as Magenta Max is a flat $85, or if you still need unlimited hotspot PLUS unlimited international calls/text, and 15GB/mo of overseas data to use is roughly the same I paid Verizon for my domestic 450min plan just a few years ago BEFORE taxes/fees($70 Magenta + $50 GlobalPlus 15GB add on)..

Prepaid (on all carriers) is where everyone has went for cheap single line service, and really T-Mobile's $25 5.5GB plan is a great deal, and $40 if you need more data (10GB with unlimited music streaming).

Verizon and AT&T actually tend to come in a bit better prepaid wise (unless you listen to mostly music, as I do), but T-Mobile still has it's niche.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more “rural” areas)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    They are not giving customers what they want. A loss of 178K in Q1 2021 proves that

Am I asking for cheaper Start? No but they could make it better. Prepaid unlimited is the same as Start but is cheaper for 1 or 2 lines. Oh wait prepaid has $5 option to add 10 GB hotspot. Why does postpaid not have such an option? Unlimited Plus offer 10 G hotspot AND UWB access and is still cheaper than Start for 1 or 2 lines. If you can't see the issue with this then you're blind.

Visible offers UWB and hotspot. Xfinity and Spectrum Mobile do too. When you're charging MORE for Start than T-Mobile's Magenta plan you better be at least coming close to MATCHING that plan

I guess Verizon think the extra revenue they get from Start customers upgrading to get stuff they should be getting on the base unlimited plan ( like at&t and T-Mobile do ) will outweigh the losses of Start customers leaving for either cheaper MNVOs that use Verizon networks or leaving for at&t or T-Mobile. And we may be part of the group sooner than later. There's an old saying "When someone shows you who they really are, believe it" Verizon is showing me their attitude is "If you're not overpaying for our premium plans, f--k you."

In the wood's of Maryland's eastern shore.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Visible offers UWB and hotspot. Xfinity and Spectrum Mobile do too."
    Makes me wonder how many of the 175k went to Xfinity and Spectrum. If they did go to Xfinity or Spectrum that still Verizon in a round about way.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    They are not giving customers what they want. A loss of 178K in Q1 2021 proves that

Am I asking for cheaper Start? No but they could make it better. Prepaid unlimited is the same as Start but is cheaper for 1 or 2 lines. Oh wait prepaid has $5 option to add 10 GB hotspot. Why does postpaid not have such an option? Unlimited Plus offer 10 G hotspot AND UWB access and is still cheaper than Start for 1 or 2 lines. If you can't see the issue with this then you're blind.

Visible offers UWB and hotspot. Xfinity and Spectrum Mobile do too. When you're charging MORE for Start than T-Mobile's Magenta plan you better be at least coming close to MATCHING that plan

I guess Verizon think the extra revenue they get from Start customers upgrading to get stuff they should be getting on the base unlimited plan ( like at&t and T-Mobile do ) will outweigh the losses of Start customers leaving for either cheaper MNVOs that use Verizon networks or leaving for at&t or T-Mobile. And we may be part of the group sooner than later. There's an old saying "When someone shows you who they really are, believe it" Verizon is showing me their attitude is "If you're not overpaying for our premium plans, f--k you."
    Verizon’s start is 60 bucks which is the same price as T-Mobiles essentials, which yes they do have slightly different hotspot features ect. T-Mobiles magenta is 70 (but it does include taxes and fees) so it is still a few dollars more than Verizon’s Start unlimited. If people need cheaper plans or want different features they can switch to a TracPhone or Visible plan. That is why Verizon is purchasing TracPhone and established visible to provide cheaper alternatives while still leaving more premium plans/brand in place. Also I could be wrong but I don’t think Verizon cares as much for people leaving Verizon proper for a Verizon MVNO because either way they are getting paid (indirectly) and a competitor is not.

Verizon also doesn’t want to cannibalizes their profits so that’s why they want to limit that new “5G phone on us” to higher level plans so they can still continue to make some profit while they subsidize the phones with bill credits.

I’m not saying you are wrong that people don’t want cheaper plans cause they do and they exist, just not on Verizon proper. Also the campaign for a “5G phone on us” is a step in the right direction, yes they lost customers last quarter so this new offering is meant to start slowing or reversing that loss. Even if if doesn’t lower the plan cost it lowers the device cost which makes the plan more attractive because the amount a customer pays a month for a plan with with a new phone is less.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

You neglect to realize the main reason why at&t and TMobile gained and Verizon lost. TMobile and at&t gave away free phone promos (particularly iphone promos) last quarter and were aggressive on that front, not that they lowered their plan pricing at all.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Well, in all fairness.. the entire industry has went to the "if you want cheap then do a family plan" structure.

BUT, I also recall the time I paid Verizon $39.99 for 450min, $29.99 for data, $29.99 for hotspot, and $20 for SMS/MMS for a total of $119.97 before taxes and fees..

T-Mobile has brought prices down considerably compared to where they were, as Magenta Max is a flat $85, or if you still need unlimited hotspot PLUS unlimited international calls/text, and 15GB/mo of overseas data to use is roughly the same I paid Verizon for my domestic 450min plan just a few years ago BEFORE taxes/fees($70 Magenta + $50 GlobalPlus 15GB add on)..

Prepaid (on all carriers) is where everyone has went for cheap single line service, and really T-Mobile's $25 5.5GB plan is a great deal, and $40 if you need more data (10GB with unlimited music streaming).

Verizon and AT&T actually tend to come in a bit better prepaid wise (unless you listen to mostly music, as I do), but T-Mobile still has it's niche.
    The industry has shifted from wanting a high ARPU to more focused on a high ARPA. TMobile in particular has been aggressive in this switch.

All carriers used to charge like that though. I remember paying sprint $40 for 450 min, free unlimited nights and weekends (starting at 7!!) And something like 1000 texts.

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Verizon Start unlimited does not even offer hotspot data at all. In addition I believe their start unlimited has the same priority access as Visible Wireless which is QCI 9. In addition the start unlimited does not have access to 5G ultra wideband. So why would anybody want the Start Unlimited plan that seems like too many compromises considering the competition. Considering you can get unlimited hotspot, higher network priority, and 5G ultra wideband access on Spectrum/Xfinity Mobile for a cheaper monthly price. Verizon Wireless needs to revamp their monthly plans to make them more competitive.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast