Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Moto with VoLTE

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score

Moto with VoLTE

Spent half a day looking around on the net, figured it was time to come to the pro's...
    I'm trying to find a Motorola phone that is volte capable. It needs to be workable with my current AT&T sim or at least be acceptable to transferring my current tracfone plan to it. I'd prefer something under 6 inches.
    I have used Moto phones ever since we switched to smart phones but if something comparable were to come up in suggestions I would certainly give it a 'once-ovr' at the very least.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gmannix View Post
    Spent half a day looking around on the net, figured it was time to come to the pro's...
    I'm trying to find a Motorola phone that is volte capable. It needs to be workable with my current AT&T sim or at least be acceptable to transferring my current tracfone plan to it. I'd prefer something under 6 inches.
    I have used Moto phones ever since we switched to smart phones but if something comparable were to come up in suggestions I would certainly give it a 'once-ovr' at the very least.
    I found this pdf file provided by AT&T - https://www.att.com/idpassets/images...TT-Network.pdf
    Enjoy!
    Edit - And also this file - https://www.att.com/idpassets/images...TT-Network.pdf
    Lots of info!

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Thank You, Sillyette

Feedback Score
    Thanks,sillyette! I keep hoping to find a link that leads to the current updated versions of those lists-- but every one I've found only displays the list that existed when the link was created, so they're always out of date.

I've found it encouraging that a number of Tracfone models are on both of those lists. (But very few Motos-these versions list the first Tracfone-specific Moto model, the G Play (2021).

I'm hoping that the lists are not complete & definitive.
    AT&T doesn't list the Tracfone version of the E6, for example, but does list the factory unlocked XT2005-1. I read a thread on the Motorola user forum where a rep said the Tracfone XT2005DL is functionally and hardware-identical to the XT2005-1 other than the SIM lock, so I'm hoping it works.

In an online chat with an AT&T agent, I asked about a phone I have that isn't on either list: the agent checked by model # and IMEI, and said it's compatible. It's my primary phone, and currently in use on the AT&T network, so I hope she's right about that.
    My Tello referral code is P3BSR5HV, and gets both of us 10 Tello Dollars to pay for a plan.
    https://tello.com/account/register?_referral=P3BSR5HV

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhandle View Post
    Thanks,sillyette! I keep hoping to find a link that leads to the current updated versions of those lists-- but every one I've found only displays the list that existed when the link was created, so they're always out of date.
    The 2nd link in sillyette's post always shows the latest list. I bookmarked the same link since last year, and checked it every few months. The "Last updated" date changes over time.

Feedback Score
    Just to emphasize what's already been said, https://www.att.com/idpassets/images...TT-Network.pdf is the best link for unlocked phones that can be used for AT&T BYOP, and it includes some 2021 models.

Feedback Score
    Do you think that list is complete? I have a factory unlocked E4 I was thinking of trying on an ATT mvno to see if they've gotten better in my area. Unless the android version plays into it and the E4 only having 7.1. But I don't recall ever seeing a phone not allowed based on OS version even as old as 7.1.

Feedback Score
    Unfortunately, I don't know.

If it ISN'T, I also don't know what would happen if you activate an AT&T SIM card using an approved device and then moved it to an unapproved device.

I do know the E4 is compatible with T-Mobile and Vzw VoLTE, but that doesn't help answer your question about AT&T...

Feedback Score
    I just checked one of my Moto E4's IMEI at https://m.att.com/shopmobile/wireles...checkIMEI.html .

Result:
    "Bring your own device to AT&T
    Alert Your device is incompatible with eSIM. We’ve saved you a step and added the SIM card you need to your cart."

So, does that mean it's compatible? It seems like the answer should be "YES"?

And yet...NOTHING was added to the cart.

How ridiculous is it that AT&T can't make a better IMEI checking system!?

Feedback Score
    I saw a chat button. I asked about my E4 XT1768 IMEI. The agent said:

"I just double checked and it is compatible with our network."

So, if that chat agent is correct, then https://www.att.com/idpassets/images...TT-Network.pdf is NOT complete!

I asked about that, too, and the agent said:

"Because Generally the Moto low gamma are without this ranking."

Whatever that means...

And:

"Please be sure all the Motorola devices work with us."

I don't know if I believe that one!

Feedback Score
    just tried my AT&T prepaid in my Moto G5s plus model XT1806 factory unlocked which is NOT listed here - https://www.att.com/idpassets/images...TT-Network.pdf phone still works.

Device(s)
    Flip phone, Samsung J3 on Tello
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, H2O, Page Plus, Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    I just tried my Moto G5+ with H2O(ATT) & Tmobile and it showed VOLTE enabled. Data, voice & text worked. Just swapped SIM's, didn't consult list. Specs show it should work with all US carriers.

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    If it ISN'T, I also don't know what would happen if you activate an AT&T SIM card using an approved device and then moved it to an unapproved device.

I do know the E4 is compatible with T-Mobile and Vzw VoLTE, but that doesn't help answer your question about AT&T...
    AT&T list of VoLTE-compatible unlocked phones is their sort of a "whitelist". I have a Canadian LG Q7+ which has VoLTE when used with a native T-mo SIM, but not when used with a native AT&T SIM or TF/AT&T BYOP SIM. That TF/AT&T BYOP SIM is provisioned for VoLTE and has VoLTE when put into my unlocked Pixel 4a or my unlocked Essential PH-1. The Pixel 4a and Essential PH-1 are in AT&T's list, but the LG Q7+ is not.

I used the Network Signal Info app to test. The LG Q7+ will stay in LTE mode during a call on T-mo. On AT&T, during a call it drops from LTE to HSPA and UMTS.

Name:  LG-Q7-VoLTE-screen-1.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  39.2 KB

Name:  LG-Q7-VoLTE-screen-3.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  42.7 KB

Feedback Score
    Let me get this straight:

There are two AT&T "whitelists".

One of them shows devices that will work for Voice over LTE and Data over LTE, but not simultaneously. If you turn on Data during a phone call, or maybe vice versa, the entire service has to drop down to less than LTE in order to accommodate.

The other list shows devices that will work for Voice over LTE and Data over LTE simultaneously. I don't know if the list is prejudiced to certain phones and there other phones that will actually work but AT&T doesn't want to.

This is just how AT&T is willing to service different phones. Other carriers might have different parameters.

So there is a difference between a phone working at all, and a phone being allowed to have the higher priority.
    Last edited by Lisme; 06-03-2021 at 12:21 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I saw a chat button. I asked about my E4 XT1768 IMEI. The agent said:

"I just double checked and it is compatible with our network."

So, if that chat agent is correct, then https://www.att.com/idpassets/images...TT-Network.pdf is NOT complete!

I asked about that, too, and the agent said:

"Because Generally the Moto low gamma are without this ranking."

Whatever that means...

And:

"Please be sure all the Motorola devices work with us."

I don't know if I believe that one!
    This was my experience when inquiring about an older Nokia 3.1 that does not appear on either list. The agent confirmed both by Nokia model #, and by IMEI, that it is compatible. The caveat is that that I didn't ask whether it would be compatible after Jan 22-- but I thought AT&T was already enforcing that for new activations. Either the list is incomplete, or the agent is wrong. (Not terribly reassuring.)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast