Thread: Moto with VoLTE

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    There are two AT&T "whitelists".

1. One of them shows devices that will work for Voice over LTE and Data over LTE, but not simultaneously. If you turn on Data during a phone call, or maybe vice versa, the entire service has to drop down to less than LTE in order to accommodate.

2. The other list shows devices that will work for Voice over LTE and Data over LTE simultaneously. I don't know if the list is prejudiced to certain phones and there other phones that will actually work but AT&T doesn't want to.
    My Canadian LG Q7+ is in Category 1. If I use Data only, it stays in LTE mode (1st photo). During a call, whether Data is turned ON or not, Voice drops down to UMTS mode (GSM) and Data drops down to HSPA+ (2nd photo). The Q7+ doesn't have VoLTE on AT&T, even with Data turned OFF (3rd photo).

Name:  LG-Q7-Before-Call.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  37.6 KB

Name:  LG-Q7-During-Call.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  45.4 KB

Name:  LG-Q7-VoLTE-screen-3.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  42.7 KB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    The 2nd link in sillyette's post always shows the latest list. I bookmarked the same link since last year, and checked it every few months. The "Last updated" date changes over time.
    Thanks-- I will bookmark that link. The first list is of more interest to me, since I can live without WiFi calling, and know that none of my phones are 5G capable. Maybe the link to the first list also provides an updated list?
    My Tello referral code is P3BSR5HV, and gets both of us 10 Tello Dollars to pay for a plan.
    https://tello.com/account/register?_referral=P3BSR5HV

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    Let me get this straight:

There are two AT&T "whitelists".

One of them shows devices that will work for Voice over LTE and Data over LTE, but not simultaneously. If you turn on Data during a phone call, or maybe vice versa, the entire service has to drop down to less than LTE in order to accommodate.

The other list shows devices that will work for Voice over LTE and Data over LTE simultaneously. I don't know if the list is prejudiced to certain phones and there other phones that will actually work but AT&T doesn't want to.

This is just how AT&T is willing to service different phones. Other carriers might have different parameters.

So there is a difference between a phone working at all, and a phone being allowed to have the higher priority.
    I think the difference between the 2 lists is that only the 2nd list indicates whether a phone will be allowed to use WiFi calling & is 5G capable. Not sure I remember exactly how AT&T configures/enables "HD Voice", but I don't think any relatively recent models will support "HD Voice" without VoLTE-- so that portion should mirror the phones on the first list.

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    So, to be clear (in my befuddle-ment), is HD and VoLTE basically the same thing? As I understand it anything not volte capable cannot be used after Feb of 2022 according to this article: https://bgr.com/tech/att-3g-network-...work-5928268/l
    Is the Moto E6 xt2005-5 the same phone as the Moto E6 xt2005DL ??

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gmannix View Post
    So, to be clear (in my befuddle-ment), is HD and VoLTE basically the same thing?
    Not the same thing, but HD requires VoLTE.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Agreed 100%. Good explanation.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    Moto G Stylus, Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Liberty Wireless, FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    No they are not the same;

-VoLTE simply means the call is going over the 4g LTE network. It is not necessarily HD Voice just because it is VoLTE.

-HD Voice requires VoLTE, plus it needs a codec handshake on both phones for it to work. Otherwise the call will have standard voice quality, not the higher fidelity that HD offers.

Most calls are actually HD now since T-Mobile has finally started opening up compatibility with Verizon.

Oops, hpham beat me to it

Feedback Score
    I'll buy that.
    The first list (VoLTE capable) has a little over 50 LG phone models listed.
    The 2nd list, showing HD Voice, WiFi calling, and 5G capabilities, only has 20 LG phone models listed.

Here's AT&T's recent article on HD Voice, including a link to the same list sillyette provided.
    https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1046244/

Feedback Score
    Thanks @Boz1 for your checks; I know you bought an E4 a couple years ago when Walmart cleared them out. I bought 2 at that time and still have one sitting new in box that I was thinking of trying with an ATT mvno. To bad they never did an OS upgrade beyond 7.1.1. Love the E4 and soon will need to look for a replacement. Don't like big phones and Moto is my preference over many years.

And thanks to the rest of you that dug into the lists and did some testing.

Feedback Score
    Haha. Yes. I still have one sealed new in the box, too.

It is a really great phone. I still love the front fingerprint reader / navigation pad.

I still use the one I used for almost a year, before I got my Pixel 3a XL, when I mow the lawn because the nanocoating really does add water resistance, which my Pixel 3a XL doesn't have.

Device(s)
    A71 5G, Pixel 3aXL/4a5G, Moto E6/G7 Power/Z3 Play/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Please be aware regarding the Moto E6, that according to Phonescoop, those models which have Band 13 and Band 71 (which the TracFone model does), do not have Band 14 or Band 30 for AT&T.

It will work on AT&T, but for the best coverage, I like to have Band 14 on my AT&T phones.

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    I have found there are a few versions of this phone. The one tracfone offers is, I think, the Xt2005DL.I don't know if it is the same phone as thet2005-5 which supposedly is the only G6 with VoLte capability.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gmannix View Post
    I have found there are a few versions of this phone. The one tracfone offers is, I think, the Xt2005DL.I don't know if it is the same phone as thet2005-5 which supposedly is the only G6 with VoLte capability.
    I think you mis-typed. The xt2005's are the E6. xt1925's = G6. There's at least half dozen versions of both.
    If you're talking the E6 I think the -5 is the universal US unlocked one which would likely make it the same as the DL band wise.
    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...one-(XT2005-5)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Thanks @Boz1 for your checks; I know you bought an E4 a couple years ago when Walmart cleared them out. I bought 2 at that time and still have one sitting new in box that I was thinking of trying with an ATT mvno. To bad they never did an OS upgrade beyond 7.1.1. Love the E4 and soon will need to look for a replacement. Don't like big phones and Moto is my preference over many years.

And thanks to the rest of you that dug into the lists and did some testing.
    Just out of curiosity - do any of you guys, or other HoFo members, know each other "in real life"? I mean, do any forum members know any other forum members "non-virtually", as in, have met each other, exchange postcards, know each other's family, stuff like that?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyette View Post
    Just out of curiosity - do any of you guys, or other HoFo members, know each other "in real life"? I mean, do any forum members know any other forum members "non-virtually", as in, have met each other, exchange postcards, know each other's family, stuff like that?
    I haven't met any HoFo forum members in person. I've talked with a few of them over the phone during testing VoLTE calls. I've exchanged email and PMs with a few members and talked about families, non-phone subjects.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast