Thread: Legacy Sprint, Cellular watch, and TNX SIM

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT and T
    Feedback Score

Legacy Sprint, Cellular watch, and TNX SIM

Problem
    I have an [Apple] cellular watch that is paired with an [Apple iPhone] with a TNX SIM. I just activated (or plan to activate) a cellular watch plan on T-Mobile and I cannot make calls or use data without having my paired phone on and with me.

Solution
    Activate a cellular watch plan on weekdays (Mon.-Thurs. and non-holiday) during regular business hours. Make sure your CR understands that the Technical Support team and/or Accounts must perform some kind of back-end configuration.

Background
    Legacy Sprint customers who have migrated their phones to a T-Mobile TNX SIM require special handling. We have one foot in Sprint’s system and the other foot in T-Mobile’s. Cellular watches do not have SIMs and can only live in one environment. With TNX SIM on your paired phone, this means you must be a T-Mo customer even though you are still a legacy Sprint customer.

Tips for Sprint legacy customers
    1. Pair your cellular watch to your phone as you normally would.
    2. Do not activate a cellular plan until later.
    3. Configure your watch how you want it.
    4. Back it up (and you will thank me later).
    5. Contact T-Mo/Sprint support for activation of cellular watch plan.
    6. Try to bypass first level support because special handling currently WILL LIKELY BE required by tech support and back office (account) services.
    7. DO NOT re-pair your watch or re-set to factory settings despite encouragement by first level support. (It will not help with only more time and frustration invested.)
    8. The back office configuration takes about 24 hours to take effect.
    9. Reserve Fridays for escalation so that your watch can be fully activated 24 hours later - avoiding a weekend delay.

After having gone through this with my phone and watch, I should have learned and remembered. Now having gone through this for these last five days and finally remembering the details while activating my brother-in-law’s new watch, I thought I would document it here.

I hope this helps others until legacy Sprint customers are truly and finally migrated to the T-Mo account system.
    Last edited by gdrenick74; 06-05-2021 at 08:40 AM.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I hope this helps others until legacy Sprint customers are truly and finally migrated to the T-Mo account system.
    My wife and I are legacy Sprint customers. I have an old Moto G6 phone that I'm eager to get rid of, but she has an iPhone 11 and an Apple watch. The watch is paired with her phone, but we don't have a cellular plan with it. We're both continuing to use the same sim cards that were installed when we bought the phones; I think that means they are Sprint sims.

Based on what you've said above, we don't have to do anything with her watch and phone until we're ultimately required to "migrate" to TMo. Do I understand that correctly?

Thanks!

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I am a little confused with the topic of this thread. I bought a Samsung S3 watch from Sprint originally, migrated to T-mobile a little more than a year ago and there was no requirement to sign up for an additional "watch/smart device" plan. Never had an issue using my nearby Bluetooth phone nearby but I prefer not to make or rcv calls on my watch. I just don't see this as a major issue for 99.999999 % of users.

Just my $.02 FWIW..........
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT and T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dfwsprintpcs View Post
    My wife and I are legacy Sprint customers. I have an old Moto G6 phone that I'm eager to get rid of, but she has an iPhone 11 and an Apple watch. The watch is paired with her phone, but we don't have a cellular plan with it. We're both continuing to use the same sim cards that were installed when we bought the phones; I think that means they are Sprint sims.

Based on what you've said above, we don't have to do anything with her watch and phone until we're ultimately required to "migrate" to TMo. Do I understand that correctly?

Thanks!
    @dfwsprintpcs: You’re fine.

Since you do not have a cellular plan activated on your Apple Watch, there is no issue or concern. If you keep your Sprint SIM, you will also be fine if you activated a cellular watch plan.

The concern only arises once you, as a legacy Sprint customer, migrate over to the TNX SIM (T-Mo network) on your phone. IF and when that happens anytime soon, you will likely need to have T-Mo change a configuration on their back-end system. Once we all become T-Mo account customers (and no longer legacy Sprint customers), there should be no issue going forward.

T-Mo account customer + T-Mo SIM = Okay
    Legacy Sprint customer + Sprint SIM = Okay
    Legacy Sprint customer + T-Mo TNX SIM = Backend configuration by T-Mo required*

* at least until T-Mo and Sprint account systems are merged and fully integrated as T-Mo

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT and T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    I am a little confused with the topic of this thread. I bought a Samsung S3 watch from Sprint originally, migrated to T-mobile a little more than a year ago and there was no requirement to sign up for an additional "watch/smart device" plan. Never had an issue using my nearby Bluetooth phone nearby but I prefer not to make or rcv calls on my watch. I just don't see this as a major issue for 99.999999 % of users.

Just my $.02 FWIW..........
    Apologies for the confusion.

To be clear, I did not say or intend to suggest that was any requirement to sign for an additional “watch/smart device” plan.

What I did or wanted to say is “If you, as a legacy Sprint customer, did migrate to a TNX SIM and either you already did had an activated Watch cellular plan or you chose to add and activate a cellular watch plan, then T-Mo would have to perform a back office account change to make the Cellular watch to work independent of the paired phone.

I will review my post and tweak it where needed. Thanks for the feedback.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT and T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gdrenick74 View Post
    Problem
    I have an [Apple] cellular watch that is paired with an [Apple iPhone] with a TNX SIM. I just activated (or plan to activate) a cellular watch plan on T-Mobile and I cannot make calls or use data without having my paired phone on and with me.

Solution [Edited]
    If you are a legacy Sprint customer on TNX SIM and IF YOU CHOOSE to activate a cellular watch plan, then do the activation on a weekday (Mon.-Thurs. and non-holiday) during regular business hours. Make sure your CR understands that the Technical Support team and/or Accounts must perform some kind of back-end configuration….

I updated the solution in hopes of clarifying. I did not intend to suggest that there was any requirement to add a cellular
    Watch plan. My scenario assumed that a legacy Sprint customer who is on the TNX SIM chose to activate a cellular watch plan.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gdrenick74 View Post
    I updated the solution in hopes of clarifying. I did not intend to suggest that there was any requirement to add a cellular
    Watch plan. My scenario assumed that a legacy Sprint customer who is on the TNX SIM chose to activate a cellular watch plan.
    No worries, no harm no foul.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT and T
    Feedback Score
    Update to Post 1: On follow-up, Sprint / T-Mobile tech support was adamant yesterday that the back-end / back-office process takes 3-5 business days - not 24 hours to activate the cellular watch.

He further stated this period of time applies no matter if you are a legacy Sprint customer or a T-Mobile customer.

FWIW: My request was submitted on either Thursday or Friday. The cellular watch was not active Thursday through Monday. The cellular watch was active Tuesday morning. Moral of the story is to plan on a lapse of at least 3 business days. All is well now.