Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Apple Removes Last Restrictions on iPhone Cellular Data Usage

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score

Apple Removes Last Restrictions on iPhone Cellular Data Usage

Just in time for Verizon to activate C-Band 5G UW with totally unlimited data usage for everyone on a premium unlimited plan (December), Apple is finally removing the last restrictions on iPhone and iPad cellular data usage (now for iOS/iPadOS 15 beta testers, and September for the general public).

https://www.apple.com/ios/ios-15-preview/features/

Enhanced connectivity on 5G
    More app and system experiences are enhanced by faster 5G connectivity, including support to back up to iCloud and restore from an iCloud backup, stream audio and video on Apple and third-party apps, download higher-quality Apple TV+ content, sync photos to iCloud Photos, update Apple News+ articles for offline reading, and download machine learning models.
    iCloud backups and restores can each easily climb into the hundreds of gigabytes, so it’ll be very interesting to see how Verizon’s C-Band 5G handles this. Of course, it’ll only be a problem if a significant number of 5G iPhone/iPad users (a) are in a C-Band coverage area, (b) have a premium unlimited data plan, (c) are on iOS/iPadOS 15, (d) know that iOS/iPadOS 15 says "anything goes" on 5G, (e) has toggled on said features, and (f) is using the features. I'm not sure how many people that is, but it's doubtless a minority of Verizon's customer base. I might worry only when it's an iPhone launch day and I'm connected to a C-Band cell site that also serves an Apple Store or Verizon store.

5G is increasingly being treated like Wi-Fi. I guess we'll see what happens.

Personally, I think it’s wonderful that we’re finally seeing it become possible to use a smartphone or cellular tablet exclusively on cellular data, without ever having to connect to Wi-Fi. That’s great for old people who don’t have the tech-savvy to wrangle Wi-Fi, people who live in a place where 5G is faster and cheaper than traditional home Internet service, and people who live in RVs or trailers.

In the wood's of Maryland's eastern shore.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    Just in time for Verizon to activate C-Band 5G UW with totally unlimited data usage for everyone on a premium unlimited plan (December), Apple is finally removing the last restrictions on iPhone and iPad cellular data usage (now for iOS/iPadOS 15 beta testers, and September for the general public).

https://www.apple.com/ios/ios-15-preview/features/

iCloud backups and restores can each easily climb into the hundreds of gigabytes, so it’ll be very interesting to see how Verizon’s C-Band 5G handles this. Of course, it’ll only be a problem if a significant number of 5G iPhone/iPad users (a) are in a C-Band coverage area, (b) have a premium unlimited data plan, (c) are on iOS/iPadOS 15, (d) know that iOS/iPadOS 15 says "anything goes" on 5G, (e) has toggled on said features, and (f) is using the features. I'm not sure how many people that is, but it's doubtless a minority of Verizon's customer base. I might worry only when it's an iPhone launch day and I'm connected to a C-Band cell site that also serves an Apple Store or Verizon store.

5G is increasingly being treated like Wi-Fi. I guess we'll see what happens.

Personally, I think it’s wonderful that we’re finally seeing it become possible to use a smartphone or cellular tablet exclusively on cellular data, without ever having to connect to Wi-Fi. That’s great for old people who don’t have the tech-savvy to wrangle Wi-Fi, people who live in a place where 5G is faster and cheaper than traditional home Internet service, and people who live in RVs or trailers.
    By the time UWB makes it to my neck of the woods I will proly be dead.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro & 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bcltoys View Post
    same here
    Your results may vary. Network performance differs per user location.

Feedback Score
    Apple has it's own caps on the data usage??? Why? Its' costumer's data, why would they care?
    This to me is amazing - how people bought into this iOS and accept those limitations for their "premium" phones.

And... they still have crappy quality Bluetooth audio connection.

Feedback Score

Apple Removes Last Restrictions on iPhone Cellular Data Usage

So is this related to the option in settings -> Cellular to use more data on 5G. I suppose one could turn that option off if they were concerned about going over and getting throttled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bcltoys View Post
    If you’re in the middle of nowhere, deprioritization probably makes no discernible difference and therefore you can blast past the 50 GB soft cap on LTE and sub-3 GHz 5G with no worries.

Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    Apple has it's own caps on the data usage??? Why? Its' costumer's data, why would they care?
    This to me is amazing - how people bought into this iOS and accept those limitations for their "premium" phones.

Android does too lol the carriers force Apple and Google to restrict cellular data usage because the smartphone revolution brought cellular networks to their knees back in the late 2000s and early 2010s, which is why they clamped down via taking away unlimited data plans, blocking tethering, throttling video quality, etc. Up until now, the only way around software cellular data restrictions has been jailbreaking (Apple) or rooting (Android) your device.

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I don't know of a single android app that is restricted to wifi only.
    If you’re in the middle of nowhere, deprioritization probably makes no discernible difference and therefore you can blast past the 50 GB soft cap on LTE and sub-3 GHz 5G with no worries.

Android does too lol the carriers force Apple and Google to restrict cellular data usage because the smartphone revolution brought cellular networks to their knees back in the late 2000s and early 2010s, which is why they clamped down via taking away unlimited data plans, blocking tethering, throttling video quality, etc. Up until now, the only way around software cellular data restrictions has been jailbreaking (Apple) or rooting (Android) your device.

Feedback Score
    Android does too lol the carriers force Apple and Google to restrict cellular data
    I didn't see that on my Samsung S series, Moto or Pixel.
    I think that kind of cap implemented at cell provider level... not OS.

Feedback Score
    I don't understand. What is apple doing? Are they allowing unlimited storage in the cloud?
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.05.22
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 07.04.21

Device(s)
    Iphone Xs, Ipad Pro 11"
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon/Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post

I believe in the days before unlimited someone downloaded an OS update and got charged and blamed/sued apple so they put the cap on. That’s why we can’t have nice things, people are too dumb and blame everything on someone else instead of taking responsibility.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    I don't understand. What is apple doing? Are they allowing unlimited storage in the cloud?
    They’re allowing device backups and restores to be sent to or received from the cloud over 5G, whereas up until now it’s always required a Wi-Fi connection because carriers forced Apple to implement restrictions on cellular data usage back from 2009 through 2018. Carriers began relaxing in 2019 because they had densified LTE to the point that dense LTE plus incoming 5G made it feasible to support much higher data usage.

Feedback Score
    They’re allowing device backups and restores to be sent to or received from the cloud over 5G, whereas up until now it’s always required a Wi-Fi connection because carriers forced Apple to implement restrictions on cellular data usage back from 2009 through 2018. Carriers began relaxing in 2019 because they had densified LTE to the point that dense LTE plus incoming 5G made it feasible to support much higher data usage.
    TY.

"carriers forced apple" never heard that.

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I don't remember Android being limited to wifi only for OS updates.

In the wood's of Maryland's eastern shore.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WiredGuy View Post
    I don't remember Android being limited to wifi only for OS updates.
    I have only had Android devices don't think I have ever had to use wifi for any OS updates, and I started out with a Motorola Droid Eris one of the first Android devices.

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Apple also limited FaceTime to wifi only at one point. I think it's Apple that's the control freak.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast