Thread: Looking for feedback on Shaw Mobile and the @shaw.ca domain

Feedback Score

Looking for feedback on Shaw Mobile and the @shaw.ca domain

It's been awhile since I've signed on or lurked on the forums and despite being able to answer my question partially, I'm looking for some feedback from Shaw Mobile users or those in the know...

My 2 year plan with Bell (business) is coming to an end. I reached out to their customer service and sales division to see what types of perks they can offer upon a renewal. Due to COVID, business has slowed and I only have 3 lines with them at current - mine, my wife's and a business partner.

Although travel is limited, my business takes me throughout Canada, the USA and twice a year (not as of recent), I travel to Mexico for vacation.

Bell offered a plan for $125 monthly for unlimited Canada/USA and they would provision a 50% rate reduction on roaming when in Mexico so upon my travels there, should I not opt for a travel pack, I would pay $7/day versus their increased pricing of $14/day. When traveling again, I would probably be in Mexico 20 days out of the year so this will add $140 to my overall annual phone bill.

I don't require new devices as I buy directly so there's no subsidy. Bell will not budge on pricing and I am a Fiber+ GIG customer with Shaw and I also have some executive level promo codes. As such, I can go on the Canada/USA/Mexico plan and with my Internet bundle discount and promo code, it costs me $22.50 monthly.

This is a significant savings but I'm curious on feedback from those using it within the Vancouver lower mainland, Calgary/Edmonton areas as well as when traveling in the USA and Mexico on the respective roaming partner networks? On another matter, with the Rogers purchase of Shaw, will Rogers retain the hosting of the @shaw.ca domain for legacy customers such as myself who have personal/business email or should I be looking for a web based email solution?

In the end, cost is not a factor should I not get good enough service with Shaw and my email is of a concern as I've been operating under the Shaw brand for close to 20 years.

Device(s)
    Motorola Moto G7, Iphone 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Public Mobile, Shaw Mobile
    Feedback Score
    As far as email go to baremetal.ca, get a domain(.ca) that suits and use [email protected] from now on and forward to your current shaw email. Then if it changes you just forward to the new rogers or whatever. About $12 US/year.

I am playing with Shaw mobile outside of their areas and have had ok service on "nationwide". You might consider Public Mobile also but I have not looked at Mexico and USA regarding them. Unlimited canadawide talk/international text, some data $23/mo..............addon USA talk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dennism3 View Post
    As far as email go to baremetal.ca, get a domain(.ca) that suits and use [email protected] from now on and forward to your current shaw email. Then if it changes you just forward to the new rogers or whatever. About $12 US/year.

I am playing with Shaw mobile outside of their areas and have had ok service on "nationwide". You might consider Public Mobile also but I have not looked at Mexico and USA regarding them. Unlimited canadawide talk/international text, some data $23/mo..............addon USA talk
    Hey dennism3,

Thank you for the feedback. Yes, as for the Shaw service, I used them in past as well but wasn't too impressed during my initial testing phase. As of current, I've heard great feedback from some I know currently using the service; hence why I thought I would give them another try.

As for other providers/MVNO's, I'm choosing Shaw as they are a major brand as well as the fact with my executive promo codes, I get the Canada/USA/Mexico plan for $22.50 monthly + tax so it's a deal which cannot be beaten. Thank you for the advice on a domain. This was something I pondered but really only need static email. I'm told by some of the Rogers higher-ups that they will most likely keep the @shaw domain running as it's minimal cost and this way, legacy is retained for long-time customers who will not wish to switch their emails.

Feedback Score

Update...

Went to a Shaw location and provided them with my old account number. Previously, when undergoing the credit check, I was approved for up to 6 lines and a $6,000 tab in total. I thought I would just add a line but was advised since it's been over 90 days since I've had service, I'm required to undergo another credit check - understandably so, since peoples credit can change month over month.

The representative stated they don't have access but it's done through their Shaw support team. I give the OK only for them to come back with a denial of service. Confused, she stated it's not something they've seen but I cannot obtain service and must wait 90 days in order for the system to allow another credit check. I then follow up with Shaw Customer Service through telephone and was advised when the information was being passed between store level and their support team, there was a typo in the details provided and as such, the system halted from allowing the agent to proceed.

OK, this answers the question and prompts me to respond... How do we override this mishap to ensure I can activate? The response received... Unfortunately sir, based on system limitations, it's a hard-check and as such, despite the mistake the system retains the response from EquiFax for 90 days and there's no way to bypass this - even with supervisor request as it's not something which can be overridden.

Hmmm... no fail safe in place to counteract human error? Too bad but at current, I'll remain with Bell and hopefully next time, the representatives at store level and back-end support work a little more diligently when sharing information - especially under such sensitive conditions that a mistake results in a 90 day waiting period by the consumer.

Feedback Score
    I've been a Freedom customer since 2017. I've found the data connectivity to be very good in Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver unless I'm in a parkade or basement. No concerns otherwise.