Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: WiFi 2.4 ghz VS 5 ghz issue

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score

WiFi 2.4 ghz VS 5 ghz issue

I was using my phones on WiFi to download files from Google Drive, when some of the phones dropped their WiFi connection. Some continued operating on WiFi and I noticed they were using 5 ghz while the ones that dropped were on 2.4ghz.

The 2.4ghz phones were my Simple Mobile LG Fiesta 2, Straight Talk LG Fiesta, Total Wireless Fiesta, and TracFone LG Stylo 3.

The ones that still worked on 5ghz were unlocked Moto E, TF Moto Optimo Maxx, TF Moto G Power, and Simple Mobile Moto e5. I think my TF Moto e6 was still on WiFi but not absolutely sure since it wasn't in the work group.

The place I live provides my WiFi and I have no control over the settings. From time to time the WiFi does that, usually in the evening or at night.

The point I guess is that some older phones may not automatically switch to using 5ghz when 2.4ghz drops. It's an argument in favor of updating phones even if the old ones still work.

My AT&T LG Neon Plus 2 dropped WiFi that way one night while the others kept operating and I paid $80 for that phone so I expected better of it.

I'm wondering if the LG Fiestas are even capable of doing 5ghz WiFi or if it's just an issue with mine (my settings).

I signed out & in again to the connections on those phones with no better results. Now today they're operating on WiFi again.

Sent from my moto e6 (XT2005DL) using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    BellSouth Mobility, AirTouch, Cingular, Verizon, StraightTalk, PagePlus, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Check the problem phones' specs on the mfr's website to see it they have 5ghz WiFi

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasHam View Post
    Check the problem phones' specs on the mfr's website to see it they have 5ghz WiFi
    I just used an app installed on my phones to check, and the LG Fiesta & Fiesta 2 show as having 5ghz WiFi. The LG Stylo 3 says no 5ghz. My Moto e6 says it has 5ghz WiFi ability but it's operating on 2.4ghz. My newer Motos are operating on 5ghz.

So I understand why the Stylo might not have worked on WiFi when 2.4ghz dropped, but the LG Fiestas should have continued on 5ghz.

Unless 5ghz is weak in my wing and the phone's ability to detect & use it is the issue.

The app I used is CPU Info (open source) from KG Soft, installed from Google Play store.

Sent from my LGL84VL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    The point I guess is that some older phones may not automatically switch to using 5ghz when 2.4ghz drops.

I'm wondering if the LG Fiestas are even capable of doing 5ghz WiFi or if it's just an issue with mine (my settings).
    Some older phones are not capable of using 5GHz WiFi. To see whether or not your LG Fiesta can use 5GHz WiFi, set it to scan/display all available WiFi sources nearby. Usually, the system admin who set up the WiFi router would give the 5GHz source a different SSID from the 2.4GHz source. I named my 2.4GHz source "HP" and the 5GHz source "HP-5G", so I can manually select which one to connect to (5GHz has higher bandwidth but shorter range). If your Fiesta cannot use 5GHz, it will not detect/show any 5GHz source.

The screenshot shows what my LG Q7+ can detect. I also have a WiFi extender, so I have 4 different sources to connect to. Since they were all set up with the same password, if one source dropped off, it will automatically switch to the next one on the list that it can log into.

Name:  WiFi-sources.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  25.6 KB

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info. My phones are set to scan for available WiFi connections but the only one I'm allowed to use is the guest login I have the password to. The others are for office use only. I can't choose which frequency my phones operate on, I'm pretty much stuck with the one the phone "sees" and hooks up to.

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Like HP said, 5GHz SSIDs should be named different and the phone doesn't just switch to them either. At a minimum you have to have connected to the other SSID before it will auto connect.

Interesting that the access point lost the 2.4GHz SSID and not the 5GHz one.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    I can't choose which frequency my phones operate on, I'm pretty much stuck with the one the phone "sees" and hooks up to.
    That's why the SSIDs are different, and usually 5GHz nets are labeled as such.

If the phone can connect to 2.4GHz and 5GHZ it will, show both available.

Make sure you connect and logIn to both on devices that see both so the phone will switch between them.

Feedback Score
    There seems to be a number of things at work here. First, the router being used must support dual band. Second, whoever manages the router has to broadcast the ssid and set passwords for all bands available. Third, when you go to wifi settings, you should see a screen similar to the screenshot @hpham posted. As he said, your phone will only show the ssids it can connect to. Fourth, you have to set login credentials for each ssid you want to use. And last, some phones have an "automatically connect" setting. Assuming all that is set up correctly, you should see it connect to whatever band is available.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cv91913 View Post
    There seems to be a number of things at work here. First, the router being used must support dual band. Second, whoever manages the router has to broadcast the ssid and set passwords for all bands available. Third, when you go to wifi settings, you should see a screen similar to the screenshot @hpham posted. As he said, your phone will only show the ssids it can connect to. Fourth, you have to set login credentials for each ssid you want to use. And last, some phones have an "automatically connect" setting. Assuming all that is set up correctly, you should see it connect to whatever band is available.
    Yes, I'm set to automatically connect to WiFi at bootup, and to automatically reconnect if it drops.

The router is controlled by the administration that runs the building. I have only a "guest" password to one WiFi connection. The others that show on the "available WiFi connection" list are not public and are password protected for office use only.

The other connections that are on the list don't show what frequency they're using, it just shows the name. Unless I could log in to them, I wouldn't be able to view their frequency.

There's no way to choose the frequency I operate on, it appears to be controlled by the router settings (which I can't access or change).

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    If all the devices are connecting to the same SSID they are using the same band.

If they set up both a 2.4GHz SSID and a 5GJz SSID with the same name it will be nothing but trouble. Most access points (routers) won't even let you do that because of the problems it causes.

Feedback Score
    When using these public wifi systems, how do you handle security? Like someone using a "scanner" to see your business.

I was thinking about moving to a new active adult community, but they will have only a central wireless. That gives me the creeps. We old people like to check our bank accounts, etc.

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    When using these public wifi systems, how do you handle security? Like someone using a "scanner" to see your business.
    I'm not well-versed in WiFi/cell phone data security, but I think on a secured WiFi network the data transmitted between the router and the device is encrypted. Someone who uses a "sniffer" to intercept the data will need a way to decrypt that info. Of course, that's not a problem for a pro.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    Encrypted data on the link. Depending on your level of paranoia, SSL to specific sites, dedicated apps using encrypted data, or fully encrypted VPN carrying the connections (which are also encrypted)

Specifically banking apps should all be using encrypted connections.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Someone who uses a "sniffer" to intercept the data will need a way to decrypt that info. Of course, that's not a problem for a pro.
    With most current systems it's hard to break the encryption in real time. WEP is insecure but WPA and WPA2 are good.

Even KRACK didn't break the encryption, it was a flaw in the key handling. And 5 years later it shouldn't be an issue.

Even then, if they can decrypt the wifi data it's most likely further encrypted (https, SSL, etc)

Device(s)
    moto g6
    Feedback Score
    The claims that the SSID should be unique for each band is total nonsense, perhaps based on some very outdated info from back when access points and WiFi devices were still fairly primitive.

Modern access points, including high-tier commercial and professional systems, default both bands to the same SSID so that devices can seamlessly roam between the bands. Most feature optional band steering that can be enabled to prefer one band over the other, if desired, however it's generally best left up to the devices to decide which band provides better coverage based on signal strength. A good network will also steer devices to either band for load balancing purposes, if the system is particularly saturated with traffic on one band or the other.

Source: I've been an IT professional for nearly three decades, with vast experience designing and installing wireless networks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast