Thread: Upgrade to Galaxy S10?

Device(s)
    Galaxy S5
    Carrier(s)
    Wal-Mart (T-Mobile)
    Feedback Score

Question Upgrade to Galaxy S10?

Currently I have the Samsung Galaxy S5. I am concerned about the USB charging plug wearing out. I've tried to keep the wire attached most of the time. This is easy to do since I rarely take it out of the house.

One local repair shop did not want to replace the plug because of the Galaxy S5's complexity. Two other local shops were "Apple only". Also, my battery is clearly dying (swelling, getting very warm). And I don't see all the photos when I plug the phone in to my Win7 computer (it displays ALL the files on my USB drive enclosure however).

I am thinking about a magnetic charging phone, and I think the Galaxy S10 series might be a good choice. Is the battery life better than my Galaxy S5 with Android 5.0? Do I need the larger battery capacity of the "plus" model? Will the magnetic charging still work with the Otterbox Defender case?

Can I get a magnetic charging base for my [12 volt] car?

Does anyone have experience with one of the other magnetic charging phones like Google Pixel?

Please let me know about your experiences, I don't want to make a bad choice here.....thanks !

(Presumably I would continue with Wal-Mart Family Mobile powered by T-Mobile, but I could be open to changing carrier.)

Device(s)
    Samsung Fascinate
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    You definitely need a new phone and ASAP. The battery swelling and overheating is dangerous. You could have a fire! I've had two phones that have had their batteries swell, to the point where the case has been pushed out and separated. Do not wait, replace that phone!

I personally love the wireless charging feature and would not have a phone without this feature anymore. As you noted you don't get all the wear and tear on the USB port with a wireless charger. Get a good wireless charger. I think your choice of a S10 is good if that is your price point. It is always best to buy the newest model you can afford, especially if you keep your phone for a long time which you certainly did with the S5. I'd say you got your moneys worth out of your S5.

"They" say that you shouldn't keep your phone on a charger (wired or wireless) constantly as that is bad for the battery. I must admit that I am guilty of doing that myself. Its so easy to do with a wireless charger. Since I got my new S21 I am trying to do better.

But do replace that phone as soon as possible. Its dangerous if the battery is swelling or getting hot.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Superclerk View Post
    Is the battery life better than my Galaxy S5 with Android 5.0? Do I need the larger battery capacity of the "plus" model? Will the magnetic charging still work with the Otterbox Defender case?

Can I get a magnetic charging base for my [12 volt] car?
    The battery capacity/usage is much better on the newer model phones. You don't have to get the "+" model unless you are a heavy user, then it would be well worth the cost. Yes, they make wireless chargers for you car, just get them cheaper than at a cell phone store at an auto part store or online at an internet site like Amazon.com. I have to agree with rjack22 and his suggestions/comments.

Personally, I use the base model Samsung S21 5G on T-mobile postpaid and I am very happy. The newer Samsungs use a different USB phone connection (USB C) and support wireless charging.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    Galaxy S5
    Carrier(s)
    Wal-Mart (T-Mobile)
    Feedback Score
    Thank you. I ordered the Galaxy S10 Plus, factory unlocked, new, for a good price. And a factory magnetic charging base. And an Otterbox Defender case.

I have had AA batteries (for my old 6 MP Canon S3IS) get pretty warm during charging. And my Galaxy S5's battery went from 90+ percent to 2% in just a few seconds when I tried to shoot a picture of the oil pump used by my spare sedan. Also, it has been said that a cell phone battery started a fire in the cockpit on EgyptAir Flight 804, causing all 66 people to die. So I am definitely replacing the phone quickly.

Based on the reviews, I'm sure I'll enjoy the newer model phone.

Thanks!

EDIT: Should I get a new activation kit with a new SIM card at Wal-Mart's cell phone counter? Will it let me take advantage of more features in the S10 Plus than if I had used the old SIM card? Please let me know, I don't know all the details about SIM cards.
    Last edited by Superclerk; 06-18-2021 at 02:19 AM.