Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Can iPhone 12 use CDMA?

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    3G CDMA has max speed of 3.1 Mbps the same spectrum on 4G can do over 150 Mbps 5G even higher
    LTE cannot do 150Mbps on 1.25MHz, which is what the minimum deployment of 1x/EvDO is.. LTE can only do ~35Mbps on a 5x5MHz chunk. LTE in the same space as a 1xRTT carrier, you're losing ~7Mbps of capacity (vs EvDO), not 150Mbps.

Again, if you're in a market that 7-10Mbps of extra available bandwidth is making/breaking your experience with Verizon.. then you likely should not be using them in that area to begin with as they're simply oversubscribed in your particular area.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more “rural” areas)

Device(s)
    Moto G Stylus, Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Liberty Wireless, FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    . . . . . So if you are in that building again try to “lock” your phone to LTE only and see if it keeps a signal.
    Thanks for the feedback Joe. Both AT&T & Verizon go to "No Service" in the middle of the building, so it's just too weak of a signal to work with. The concrete & steel just kill the signal even though there is a macro site just 1 block away.

Feedback Score
    3G CDMA has max speed of 3.1 Mbps the same spectrum on 4G can do over 150 Mbps 5G even higher
    The comment was about "range" not speed. Verizon has done little or nothing in many areas to add additional towers to make up the miles lost with 4G or even nationwide 5G. They're too busy putting nodes on light poles for UWB bragging rights.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    Thanks for the feedback Joe. Both AT&T & Verizon go to "No Service" in the middle of the building, so it's just too weak of a signal to work with. The concrete & steel just kill the signal even though there is a macro site just 1 block away.
    Yeah it was worth a shot. Thick steel and concrete just kill cellular signals.

I work in hospitals a lot and unless the hospitals have DAS’s (which thankfully most all do) the LTE signals doesn’t make it deep into the building core because of all the dense building materials.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    LTE cannot do 150Mbps on 1.25MHz, which is what the minimum deployment of 1x/EvDO is.. LTE can only do ~35Mbps on a 5x5MHz chunk. LTE in the same space as a 1xRTT carrier, you're losing ~7Mbps of capacity (vs EvDO), not 150Mbps.

Again, if you're in a market that 7-10Mbps of extra available bandwidth is making/breaking your experience with Verizon.. then you likely should not be using them in that area to begin with as they're simply oversubscribed in your particular area.
    b5 uses 10X10 MHz which certainly can do 150 Mbps download. Don't be obtuse. You knew what I was talking about and are just trying to start stuff. No one uses 1.25 MHz of spectrum on LTE. Which is something else you should know so to throw that in for comparison was BS. Troll elsewhere

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    The comment was about "range" not speed.
    range means nothing at dial-up speed and the difference in range is not much

Verizon has done little or nothing in many areas to add additional towers to make up the miles lost with 4G or even nationwide 5G. They're too busy putting nodes on light poles for UWB bragging rights.
    You have proof of this? I live in a rural area and I have proof that in August 2019 Verizon put put not one but TWO towers 2 miles in opposite directions from the main tower in town and have permit to build a third, you guess 2 miles in yet another direction. But please keep believe an untrue narrative. Like Verizon is incapable of walking and chewing gum at the same time

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Let's tone down this debate before it gets out of hand.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    b5 uses 10X10 MHz which certainly can do 150 Mbps download. Don't be obtuse. You knew what I was talking about and are just trying to start stuff. No one uses 1.25 MHz of spectrum on LTE. Which is something else you should know so to throw that in for comparison was BS. Troll elsewhere
    Except 10x10 can be done with CDMA running.. it's a 25MHz total for the A or B side. 10x10 and 1.25x1.25 is totally valid to use in the space and still get the LTE you're speaking of

Talk about being obtuse, but here's a link to how the 800MHz band is laid out per the FCC in case you care to refresh your memory:

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-...llular-service

CDMA will be cut to 1.25MHz, and again..I stand by my point, as what I mentioned above leaves room for 10x10 LTE, CDMA, and a small guard band.

The CDMA network is not going to have a ton of capacity, but will function fine for the ~1% of devices left on it, and LTE will be as congested as ever due to VZ being lazy with leaving mostly macro cells in rural areas without much actual densification whilst they're busy toying with mmWave in the cities -aka- business as usual.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Talk about being obtuse,
    I'm pretty sure the mods said to not be starting stuff in teh post above yours. Thanks for proving my point

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Fortunately, the debate hasn't gotten out of hand yet. The earlier warning was to prevent the discussion from getting there with unproductive bickering.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    I'm pretty sure the mods said to not be starting stuff in teh post above yours. Thanks for proving my point
    Nah.. Just putting facts in with your reply. You see, i've learned with "certain" posters it's just better to put facts and remind them of how things are.. that usually gets them to implode on themselves, as simple education or even a simple google search could stop silly posts to begin with.

BUT be sure to read that FCC link above to see how the 10x10 LTE you're wanting can easily be achieved with keeping CDMA active, then also notice how the rest of the band is practically useless (the space CDMA will be occupying for at least another year) unless they want to deploy that silly 1.4x1.4MHz LTE chunk I spoke of before...

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro, Pixel 5
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    CDMA idling takes up more energy than LTE/NR, so CDMA is being turned off on a site by site basis while other sites are having some cdma parts turned off to save money now in preparation for the full shutdown. I’m simply stating facts not adding or subtracting from the argument.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nicothetechguy View Post
    CDMA idling takes up more energy than LTE/NR, so CDMA is being turned off on a site by site basis while other sites are having some cdma parts turned off to save money now in preparation for the full shutdown. I’m simply stating facts not adding or subtracting from the argument.
    Is it run at a higher wattage? Or just less efficient equipment since it has age to it.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro, Pixel 5
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score

Can iPhone 12 use CDMA?

Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    Is it run at a higher wattage? Or just less efficient equipment since it has age to it.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    From my understanding both.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nicothetechguy View Post
    From my understanding both.
    Yeah the equipment is older and less efficient, so that makes sense.

Since CDMA can cover quite a distance from a single site, and with only needing 1.25MHz as a base.. they can run a bare-bones CDMA network for those left and have approximately the same coverage, as I can imagine a lot of metro sites were put in more for capacity, not exactly coverage.

Leave the bare-bones 1.25MHz CDMA on the tall macros to cover 99.9% of the area, and convert all the smaller cells to the full on LTE/5G cake to save not only space but power.

It's essentially what T-Mobile has done where 2G is still up and running.. any new site and anything upgraded has GSM removed and what's left is just a paper thin 200kHz chunk that can handle maybe 8 calls in any given area for IoT devices and people like me whom put their SIM into a 1996 Motorola every now and again - the quality is horrid because it's so bare bones.. but hey it's there.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast