Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Can iPhone 12 use CDMA?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    Just the "price of progress". Doesn't make sense to run 3 different network technologies simultaneously in the long run (3G "CDMA", 4G "VOLTE/LTE", 5G). It is redundant and expensive to operate/maintain.
    Completely agree. I can’t wait for the day when Verizon flips the switch and CDMA becomes history.

Device(s)
    Moto G Stylus, Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Liberty Wireless, FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Having 3G access may be area dependent.

Yesterday when shopping for cars the salesman had a brand new iPhone 12 on Verizon. I asked him if he ever noticed slow data and he said no, but service was terrible in one shopping center near his house. He said the phone switches from 5g to 4g then to 3g when inside stores there near Spotsylvania Va.

I switched from AT&T to Verizon a little over a year ago and still see 3G went inside one building in downtown DC.

Sent from my moto g stylus using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    Just the "price of progress". Doesn't make sense to run 3 different network technologies simultaneously in the long run (3G "CDMA", 4G "VOLTE/LTE", 5G). It is redundant and expensive to operate/maintain.
    Then they need to upgrade the CDMA only areas to LTE. All the carriers are reluctant to push out more into the fringe areas. Some of the problem is the mid-frequencies being used more now don't have very good range compared to CDMA.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    Uh if the equipment is still operational, why deny customers access to it? That’s just wasteful. And it’s not like leaving the toggle intact prevents a gradual sunsetting. I was in Japan for the EDGE sunset, and SoftBank didn’t block the “Enable 3G” toggle. You just went to No Service if you disabled it in an area with 3G but without EDGE. They didn’t treat customers like they were too stupid to figure out that coverage areas differ between network generations.
    because it's mainly for enterprise level customers and customers that insist on using CMDA only devices still. The key is to getting people OFF of it. And frankly it should have died already at the end of 2019. Verion is decommishing CDMA as we speak so tower today that still has CDMA may not have it tomorrow. It's not Verizon is waiting until Dec 31 2022 then flipping off a switch. By Dec 31 2022 most of the CDMA should have been long ago shut off.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Then they need to upgrade the CDMA only areas to LTE. .
    I find it hard to believe many if ANY of these places actual exist. As far as I know every Verizon tower has LTE on it

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post

Yesterday when shopping for cars the salesman had a brand new iPhone 12 on Verizon. I asked him if he ever noticed slow data and he said no, but service was terrible in one shopping center near his house. He said the phone switches from 5g to 4g then to 3g when inside stores there near Spotsylvania Va.

I switched from AT&T to Verizon a little over a year ago and still see 3G went inside one building in downtown DC.

And once 3G is shut down that 3G will say 4G as the spectrum will have been re-allocated. Sorry but band 5 on LTE or 5G is way more efficient than keeping on 3G

Device(s)
    Moto G Stylus, Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Liberty Wireless, FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Sorry but band 5 on LTE or 5G is way more efficient than keeping on 3G
    Agreed

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    And once 3G is shut down that 3G will say 4G as the spectrum will have been re-allocated. Sorry but band 5 on LTE or 5G is way more efficient than keeping on 3G
    CDMA is way more efficient when it comes to range. LTE is a lot more fragile at longer distances.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magoo View Post
    CDMA is way more efficient when it comes to range. LTE is a lot more fragile at longer distances.
    LTE (4G) and 5G are far more efficient than 3G. Lower costs to the carrier is the primary goal. No, the carriers will not pass the savings on to the consumer.

Wishing things were different will not change anything. Analog and 2G are dead technologies in the US and soon enough 3G will be joining them.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post

Also just one thing to note. In the past with my old iPhone I had one area I would drive through that my old phone would briefly drop to 3g (unless I was actively on a call) then back to LTE. When I got the new iPhone 12 with CDMA-Less provisioning I never lost any service in that spot and stayed on useable LTE the whole time.

This leads me to believe that when I did see 3G (which wasn’t many) my iPhone did switch to 3G because it could, not because the phone had too. So if you are in that building again try to “lock” your phone to LTE only and see if it keeps a signal.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post

This leads me to believe that when I did see 3G (which wasn’t many) my iPhone did switch to 3G because it could, not because the phone had too. So if you are in that building again try to “lock” your phone to LTE only and see if it keeps a signal.
    Seems like a logical suggestion and would be interesting to see if it does resolve the problem.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    Nope, unfortunately. Not only has Verizon started moving towards to CDMA-less on non-5G devices, all 5G devices on Verizon are preactivated as CDMA-less at the SIM/provisioning level. (That is becoming the norm across all carriers, limited to no backup from VoLTE)

The only thing you could do is downgrade devices to one that isn’t 5G, like an 11 or SE2. Those might still have CDMA enabled on the provisioning side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I tried this a month ago when I played with a Verizon SIM to test the mmWave deployment.

I put the SIM in an SE.. it provisioned but when I’d force CDMA, it would not do any calls/text/data - would just route me to ARN to pay by CC when I’d try to call out. I inquired with support and was told they were no longer provisioning anything on the CDMA network and once you’re off - you’re off.

The problem is not “efficiencies” it’s the fact that CDMA will work at 50-100mi from a cell site as long as the bits make it back to the base station.. LTE is far too fragile to do that, and let’s be real.. if 1.25MHz is making “that much” of a difference for you in your market, you’re in a market you’d likely not need to use Verizon to begin with due to congestion.

I’ve still got areas in Ohio that are 3G only and I doubt will EVER be filled in by Verizon at this point, as I even still have dead spots that were created when AMPS was shut off Verizon has never bothered to backfill (but oddly enough AT&T/T-Mobile did)
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more “rural” areas)

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Sorry you feel otherwise, but all users will have to do without CDMA sooner than later. As the 3G sunset date approaches, the markets without 4G/5G will be updated. Complaining about it will accomplish nothing. If you are unsatisfied with Verizon, choose At&t or T-mobile instead. Problem solved......

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    I’ve still got areas in Ohio that are 3G only and I doubt will EVER be filled in by Verizon at this point, as I even still have dead spots that were created when AMPS was shut off Verizon has never bothered to backfill (but oddly enough AT&T/T-Mobile did)
    Ah yes 1G AMPS (analog)! Every carrier had it, and it was in so many places. I traveled extensively in 2003, and had phone service most anywhere. It was charged as roaming, but so great to have a connection "out there" where there were often not even pay phones.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magoo View Post
    3G CDMA has max speed of 3.1 Mbps the same spectrum on 4G can do over 150 Mbps 5G even higher

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast