Thread: Motorola Moto E 2020 (and Moto g series) hidden notification LED! Interesting.

Feedback Score

Cool Motorola Moto E 2020 (and Moto g series) hidden notification LED! Interesting.

I've been playing with this phone since I always like to experiment and sure enough even though the official
    specifications don't indicated any kind of separate notification LED, but on models international versions of
    this phone (called the e7 plus) and (the g8 series) there is such a LED a the top right hand section of the bezel.(I believe it is also documented in the specifications too)

You can BARELY notice it unless you shine a bight flashlight which reveals the opening in the bezel for the LED.

I really miss that item since otherwise it leaves you clueless unless you pick up the phone and check it from time to time.
    In our versions you need to root the phone before you get options in android to use it.

Don't understand why the mfrs keep such useful features from us which cost them nothing, (I know that the LED is there and the circuitry is there as well, just no software to activate it.

Device(s)
    moto g6
    Feedback Score
    Those are the proximity and/or ambient light sensors, not an LED.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tracfoner69 View Post
    Those are the proximity and/or ambient light sensors, not an LED.
    No.

Those two items are on the LEFT side of the bezel.

The notification LED which is an actual visible light LED (white in color) is located by itself on the RIGHT side of the bezel.

Feedback Score
    As I recall reading from XDA that LED is very small & dim. It's purpose is for techs for repair/testing of the phone. It is a confirmation LED for commands received & executed. As mentioned to use as a limited notification LED ROOT is required. Imho the result is unsatisfactory. The resultant lit LED is so small & dim as to be ineffectual as a notification LED. It's very difficult to see the lit LED.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.05.22
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 07.04.21

Feedback Score
    I've see a video about this notification LED , and while it isn't super bright it is visible enough to be helpful if you know you're looking for it. Actually in the international versions of the e7 plus , g8 the LED is officially listed in documentation and it is helpful as a notification LED.

Here is a video showing it.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    I'd have to see the documentation.

Looks like the one Motorola has used in a few phones in the past (at least back to the G5+) It's there to show the phone is charging when the battery is too low to turn on the screen and show the full screen battery indicator.

And no, it wasn't very bright, certainly nothing like the multicolor notification LED my LG G2 had.

The official line is that the notification LED was replaced by the notifications on the lock screen. As far as I know the code for the LED was removed from the official Android source code, so it would be difficult for the OEMs to add back and Google may not allow it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    The official line is that the notification LED was replaced by the notifications on the lock screen. As far as I know the code for the LED was removed from the official Android source code, so it would be difficult for the OEMs to add back and Google may not allow it.
    That is disappointing. It sure wouldn't be the first time Google effectively banned a useful phone feature by removing the necessary hooks from the source code. I've never depended on notification LEDs, although I've liked them on the phones that had them. I'm very dependent on audible notifications, and various Google policies & possible lack of Android support have mostly killed this off as a phone feature in recent years, making it necessary to find an after-market solution-- but at least there is always a speaker available to trigger, if an app developer can find a way to enable the feature. Providing the notification LED and workaround to trigger it imposes a long-term problem for a manufacturer, since it may be borked by any later Android update, and require additional ongoing effort to support it. This turns into a tug of war between user's desire for timely updates, vs additional time/effort for a manufacturer to update their own supporting software before delivering the update that will kill the added feature. Easier to just not offer the added features at all, even if both consumers and manufacturers would like to have it available.
    My Tello referral code is P3BSR5HV, and gets both of us 10 Tello Dollars to pay for a plan.
    https://tello.com/account/register?_referral=P3BSR5HV

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhandle View Post
    That is disappointing. It sure wouldn't be the first time Google effectively banned a useful phone feature by removing the necessary hooks from the source code. I've never depended on notification LEDs, although I've liked them on the phones that had them. I'm very dependent on audible notifications, and various Google policies & possible lack of Android support have mostly killed this off as a phone feature in recent years, making it necessary to find an after-market solution-- but at least there is always a speaker available to trigger, if an app developer can find a way to enable the feature. Providing the notification LED and workaround to trigger it imposes a long-term problem for a manufacturer, since it may be borked by any later Android update, and require additional ongoing effort to support it. This turns into a tug of war between user's desire for timely updates, vs additional time/effort for a manufacturer to update their own supporting software before delivering the update that will kill the added feature. Easier to just not offer the added features at all, even if both consumers and manufacturers would like to have it available.

I really do miss that notification LED! I do rely on it, since I'm not constantly checking phone and do not want to. With the LED all you need to do is quickly glance at it and you either have to bother and look if it is lighted or not. Previous phone was LG Solo (K40) with the little RED LED I find myself looking at this phone and then realize I have to bother to pick it up and activate the screen to look which is a real pain in the butt.