Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why would unactivated byop verizon sim show better signal than active verizon prepaid sim?

Feedback Score

Why would unactivated byop verizon sim show better signal than active verizon prepaid sim?

I put the byop verizon sim in the iphone se2 , which I can't get activated per other post. It shows 4 bars when my actual Verizon sim shows 2 or 3. If i try a call I get a Verizon error message so it is connecting to Verizon's tower. Why would the Net 10 sim show more signal then the real Verizon sim?

Thanks
    Bgc

Feedback Score
    You can't go by unactivated sims. You don't even need a sim in a phone to get a signal. The radios in the phone still pick something up.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    You can't go by unactivated sims. You don't even need a sim in a phone to get a signal. The radios in the phone still pick something up.
    Good response.

On many phones they will pick up the default strongest signal no matter which carrier it might be even if the phone is not active or activated most likely this is in order to give best emergency call service.

Feedback Score
    I still think it was Verizon because I had activted both the Att and Tmobile sims and got 1 bar on Att and 1bar-no service with Tmobile. I also got a Verizon error msg when I tried to make an outbound call.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bgc View Post
    I still think it was Verizon because I had activted both the Att and Tmobile sims and got 1 bar on Att and 1bar-no service with Tmobile. I also got a Verizon error msg when I tried to make an outbound call.
    Interesting, I wonder if you were receiving the CDMA signal from VZ, (which are generally more robust signals) and then the lesser signal is from their LTE signal ????

At this time VZ has BOTH signals active on many towers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bgc View Post
    Just basically saying you can't rely on the accuracy of the signal from an un-activated sim. Could be close. Could be a different band you're comparing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Just basically saying you can't rely on the accuracy of the signal from an un-activated sim. Could be close. Could be a different band you're comparing.
    Is there anyway to determine which band a phone is receiving in any case. I've looked in the settings and about phone and don't see any clear way to find this out. I'm sure there is some way of course.

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    The Phone Signal app shows the band being used, signal strength, tower switch, etc Swipe left/right to see different screens. If the SIM is not active, I don't know if the info is correct

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    The Phone Signal app shows the band being used, signal strength, tower switch, etc Swipe left/right to see different screens. If the SIM is not active, I don't know if the info is correct
    Thanks hpham. More great information!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by N2FUV View Post
    Is there anyway to determine which band a phone is receiving in any case. I've looked in the settings and about phone and don't see any clear way to find this out. I'm sure there is some way of course.
    I use an app called Network Cell Info Lite. Same info as what @hpham mentioned. Also can show signal strength of whatever wifi your on. There's several others, all free in Playstore.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by N2FUV View Post
    When using a signal app, you usually need to turn Location on to see the band number from the tower. Not sure what it shows with a 3G signal.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    When using a signal app, you usually need to turn Location on to see the band number from the tower. Not sure what it shows with a 3G signal.
    On Network Cell Info Lite I get the bands even with location off. That's on android 7.1.1. I did notice before that on older android the band wouldn't show. As far as 3G, when mine drops occasionally to 3G, Cell Info shows EVDO and the gauge display scale changes to conform to that since dBm parameters are different between 3G(EVDO/1x) and 4G/LTE.
    Found this for anyone interested...
    Excellent(4 bars): -70 dBm on a 3G network is considered excellent signal strength versus -90 dBm on 4G or LTE network.
    Good(3bars): -71to-85 dBm on 3G is considered good and so is -91 to -105 dBm on 4G/LTE.
    Fair(2 bars): -86 to -100 dBm on 3G is fair and -106 to -110 dBm on 4G/ LTE is also fair.
    Poor(1 bar): -101 to -109 dBm on 3G is poor and -111 to -119 dBm on 4G is poor.
    Dead Zone: -110 dBm on 3G network is practically a dead zone, and so is -120 dBm on 4G LTE network.

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    I use the Network Signal app, and with recent Android releases (10 and later) it says GPS must be turned on before it shows any information.

I noticed that the signal scales for 3G and LTE are different. But most of the time I just look at the position of the needle on the scale.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I use the Network Signal app, and with recent Android releases (10 and later) it says GPS must be turned on before it shows any information.
    Do you mean Network Signal Info? Band name and number are blank in mine even with location turned on. Moto G5+ running 8.0.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Do you mean Network Signal Info? Band name and number are blank in mine even with location turned on. Moto G5+ running 8.0.
    Mines called Network Cell Info Lite... https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_US&gl=US
    Shows the bands even without location on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast