Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can't Get on Internet Away from Home

Device(s)
    Galaxy J3 Orbit
    Carrier(s)
    VoLTE / CDMA
    Feedback Score

Can't Get on Internet Away from Home

I'm stumped as to how to get Internet access outside of my home where I use my home Comcast Cable via Wi-Fi thru the phone. In June of 2020 I bought from Tracfone a brand new Samsung Galaxy J3 Orbit (S367VL; Model # SM-S367VL (verizon)), VoLTE and CDMA. The Phone's Mobile Networks settings under Connections shows Network mode: LTE / CDMA is checked and the Data roaming setting is ON saying Using mobile data while roaming may result in add'l charges. And VoLTE calls is ON.

There is a "Mobile Hotspot" Setting and it is set to OFF. If I turn it on a pop-up shows "To use Mobile Hotspot, Wi-Fi needs to be turned off, and I can Cancel or OK. But I'm assuming that this is for USING the PHONE for a Mobile Hotspot, not for getting Internet access. Right?

This can't be difficult, I have to think that most Tracfone users just get out their phones and start cruising the web! But I can't see any other setting that I'd access to permit me to get on-line while away from home.

When I'm away from home and open up a browser like Chrome and enter a URL the phone tells me I'm not on line. Why doesn't the phone just use the Tracfone signal like a voice call? What am I missing? Hopefully it is something real simple. I don't mind being embarrassed.

John

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto G6, Moto E5 Play, ZTE F160, Kyo Dura XT
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, FreeUp, Freedompop, Tello, T-Mo Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    You are correct that hotspot is for using your phone as a hotspot. Also, you don't need data roaming. Look for something in a different tab with a name like "Data Usage" and you will find the on/off button for mobile data.

Sent from my Z5157V using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    The mobile carriers offer Internet through service they purchase and then broadcast to their subscribers. It's called a Data connection and comes out of your Data bucket, as it is an add-on to the regular telephone stuff.

You have to turn it on and off if you want to use it. You can turn it on in the network settings or else pull down from the top of the screen and turn on the arrow thing.

You should see an LTE indication, and you're good to go. Just be mindful that this costs megabytes, so don't overdo it.

It won't work if you are already connected to WiFi, for economy's sake. You will have to turn off the WiFi. Usually not a problem if you are out and about with no WiFi connected anyway.

Feedback Score
    If you toggle ON your Data from the Settings menu, and you still don't get access to data, make sure your APN is correct. Text APN to 611611 to have Tracfone's automatic process handle the APN setup, or program the APN yourself. I believe for your phone the correct APN is VZWINTERNET.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J3 Orbit
    Carrier(s)
    VoLTE / CDMA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    The mobile carriers offer Internet through service they purchase and then broadcast to their subscribers. It's called a Data connection and comes out of your Data bucket, as it is an add-on to the regular telephone stuff.

You have to turn it on and off if you want to use it. You can turn it on in the network settings or else pull down from the top of the screen and turn on the arrow thing.

You should see an LTE indication, and you're good to go. Just be mindful that this costs megabytes, so don't overdo it.

It won't work if you are already connected to WiFi, for economy's sake. You will have to turn off the WiFi. Usually not a problem if you are out and about with no WiFi connected anyway.
    Yep, I've got Wi-Fi turned off and in Settings in the Data Usage section is the Mobile Data setting and I have it turned on and I bring up a browser and I'm told "looks like you're not connected to a network, try turning on Mobile data" which is on. LTE doesn't show in the notification bar at the top of the phone , and I'm showing 2 bars of signal strength.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lg800g user View Post
    If you toggle ON your Data from the Settings menu, and you still don't get access to data, make sure your APN is correct. Text APN to 611611 to have Tracfone's automatic process handle the APN setup, or program the APN yourself. I believe for your phone the correct APN is VZWINTERNET.
    Yep, most likely an APN issue. Others have had this situation.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ionchase View Post
    LTE doesn't show in the notification bar at the top of the phone , and I'm showing 2 bars of signal strength.
    Not showing LTE in the status bar is a good indication that data is not working. Yes, likely an APN issue. You can still make calls and text on the old 1xRTT voice system without LTE data, but no VoLTE.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J3 Orbit
    Carrier(s)
    VoLTE / CDMA
    Feedback Score
    Yep, most likely an APN issue. Others have had this situation.
    Thanks. I changed the APN as suggested. Didn't work. It was TRACFONE.VZWENTP so I changed it to your suggestion. No dice. I texted APN to 611611 and they texted back that my APN was already provisioned, but for me to check and make sure that LTE was on and I could text LTE for the correct setting (it already was). And I could text SUPPORT which I did and after some shuffling on their end they said they found and issue (maybe it was that my APN setting was VZWINTERNET, <big grin>) and I should shut down my phone for 5 minutes and try again, and hope for the best, no doubt. We'll see.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J3 Orbit
    Carrier(s)
    VoLTE / CDMA
    Feedback Score
    Thanks. I changed the APN as suggested. Didn't work. It was TRACFONE.VZWENTP so I changed it to your suggestion. No dice. I texted APN to 611611 and they texted back that my APN was already provisioned, but for me to check and make sure that LTE was on and I could text LTE for the correct setting (it already was). And I could text SUPPORT which I did and after some shuffling on their end they said they found and issue (maybe it was that my APN setting was VZWINTERNET, <big grin>) and I should shut down my phone for 5 minutes and try again, and hope for the best, no doubt. We'll see.
    Well, Tracfone changed some setting on their end because now I do have the LTE symbol in the top notifications bar and I do now have Internet access when I have Wi-Fi turned off. And they left the APN setting of VZWINTERNET alone to so that is interesting.

So thank you all who contributed to point me in the right direction. I'm glad I posted my dilemma.
    John

Feedback Score
    It's possible that it just took some time to register on the network and get with the program after correcting the APN. Might not be instantaneous.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J3 Orbit
    Carrier(s)
    VoLTE / CDMA
    Feedback Score
    It's possible that it just took some time to register on the network and get with the program after correcting the APN. Might not be instantaneous.
    You're probably right. Being a little patient is key in a lot of things.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    You must turn on Data for MMS to work, both sending and receiving. SMS works with data off.
    Data is also required for VVM.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    In June of 2020 I bought from Tracfone a brand new Samsung Galaxy J3 Orbit
    So you've gone a year without data working and just now looking into it?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Mint, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    So you've gone a year without data working and just now looking into it?
    I had a somewhat similar experience as the OP. Bought a Tracfone in Nov, activated it in February. Did the basic setup, verified call, text, data worked, installed Nova launcher, favorite apps, etc. Turned off the phone and parked it on the shelf. Turn it on in May to maintain 'activity'. Noticed no LTE, futz around for a week, CS verified the apn was correct, so gave up and parked the phone. Eh, figured it's now an FM radio with wifi capabilities. Happened to buy another Tracfone in June, turned on the original one and now LTE is now working. Have no idea what happened in the intervening months. Back on the shelf for now. It's just a spare spare phone.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AnciusD View Post
    It's just a spare spare phone.
    Nothing from the OP suggested it was a spare, seldom used phone where data isn't important.

Still you said you tested everything at activation. OP doesn't say that. The implication is they've been living with it not working for months.

I was prodding for more info. Like was it tested working before or has it really been broken all that time.

I personally can't imagine having a smartphone w/o data working for even a few days.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast