Thread: How long will I be able to use the original iPhone SE?

Carrier(s)
    Black Wireless 3-month eBay promo for $10/mo
    Feedback Score

How long will I be able to use the original iPhone SE?

Again, this is not really a prepaid question, but this is the most active forum and where I'll find an accurate answer.

I have the original, small iPhone SE.

I have my Truphone SIM in it in case I travel overseas which hasn't happened for over a year and probably isn't going to happen any time soon.

Honestly I don't really know much about the iPhones so I don't know if it is 3G, 4G, what bands it has or doesn't have, or what MVNO it will work with. I believe it is unlocked but I've only used it with Truphone.

I have a friend using an old flip phone which I imagine will soon be obsolete. I would be glad to give him this iPhone SE if it will work. At least it would be easier to text rather than pushing the keys on a flip phone.

How do I find out if my iPhone will work with his cell service? Or should I just have him stick his SIM card in and see?
    Last edited by Relztrah; 06-23-2021 at 08:09 PM.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Until it breaks there should be no reason the original SE won't work. The phone uses 4g and CDMA.

Sent from my SM-G991U using HoFo mobile app
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    Xperia X, iPhone SE, Zmax 2
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, TracFone (VZ), FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    The original iPhone SE is 4G LTE/VoLTE capable should be good for the next 5+ years until they turn off 4G LTE or until the battery dies/doesn't hold a charge.

There are two models of the original iPhone SE that were sold in the USA, A1662 (AT&T/T-Mobile/Verizon) and A1723 (Global/Sprint). The text is too small in the picture you posted to see the exact model number of the one you have. All models are VoLTE certified for the respective networks, so you won't have the whitelisting headaches. The A1723 Global/Sprint version is missing band 13, so it will not work on Verizon, but works fine on AT&T and T-mobile.

Yes, you can have your friend stick his sim in to see if it works. You might need to go into the Settings->General->Reset menu and do a Network Reset to make the new sim apply.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE 2020
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus PAYG & T-Mobile Legacy PAYGO
    Feedback Score
    Your friend may need to get a new SIM. His SIM is probably standard or micro, but the iPhone takes nano.

iOS 14 is supposedly the last full OS for the A9 processor, but it should still get security updates.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE 2020
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus PAYG & T-Mobile Legacy PAYGO
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slepy View Post
    There are two models of the original iPhone SE that were sold in the USA, A1662 (AT&T/T-Mobile/Verizon) and A1723 (Global/Sprint). The text is too small in the picture you posted to see the exact model number of the one you have.
    Zooming in it looks like it is A1662.

Device(s)
    iPhone XR, iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, Verizon - Tracfone AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You just posted your IMEI to the world in that pic.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slepy View Post
    The original iPhone SE is 4G LTE/VoLTE capable should be good for the next 5+ years until they turn off 4G LTE.
    I seriously doubt 4G is going anywhere, anytime soon. The 5G networks will be running along with 4G for quite some time to come. As I understand, the 4G VOLTE will remain the backbone for voice and 5G will be the backbone for data. This is based on the current network technologies, if a technology change occurs than nobody can predict what will happen.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint SERO
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmart View Post
    Your friend may need to get a new SIM. His SIM is probably standard or micro, but the iPhone takes nano.

iOS 14 is supposedly the last full OS for the A9 processor, but it should still get security updates.
    iOS15 will run on the first gen SE: https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/8/22...-compatibility